Sign in to follow this  
bass wrangler569

Baitcasting Jerkbaits

I know so many people are gung-ho about using spinning rods for fishing jerkbaits but I just can't seem get comfortable using jerkbaits on spinning tackle. I absolutely love fishing jerkbaits on baitcasting tackle though, even the smallest sizes of pointers. To me the presentation feels more solid when i'm jerking with baitcasting tackle.  Is there anyone else who prefers using baitcasters instead of spinning tackle. Is there any real disadvantage of using a baitcaster over a spinnging rig?

I prefer baitcasters also. Only the smallest of minnow baits, aka rapalas, do i throw on spinning gear. The action you have to impart on a jerk is just more comfortable with bc gear.

I fish spinning tackle with X-Raps and everything at night.

Fenwick Techna AV AVS70MM/ Shimano Sustain/ Hybrid #6.

Otherwise, I have a dedicated baitcaster rig: St. Croix Avid

AVC66MF/ Core. In terms of performance, I don't notice any

difference and both are comfortable. I think it's nothing more

than preference.

I prefer BC for large jerkbaits, but I use spinning gear for small ones like rapala original floaters or 3 in husky jerks

I use Spinning gear for jerkbaits, but I dont think there is any advantage with spinning or baitcasting gear.  Guys should just use what they are most comfortable with when fishing jerkbaits.

Baitcasting tackle for jerkbaits.  Then again, I don't throw anything less than 3/8 oz.

I have 2 setups that I use with jerkbaits, 1 casting, 1 spinning. My Casting setup is a St Croix Legend Tournament 6'6" M/F "Jerkbait" rod, paired with an Abu Garcia Revo STX-L, spooled with 10lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. I use this combo with #10 X-rap's , Husky Jerks, and other baits this size and larger. My spinning combo is a St Croix Avid 6'6" M/F w/ a Pflueger Supreme 8035 and Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon in 8lb test. I use this with #8 X-raps, husky jerks, and weightless soft plastic jerkbaits like Zoom super flukes.