Sign in to follow this  
bowtech_182

Citica E and Revo S

I am getting an new reel later this week with my Academy gift cards and am having the hardest time deciding between the Citica E and Revo S for a shallow crank reel (1/4-1/2 oz). I know both are great reels and I really can't go wrong either way.I must have read 1000 topics just like this one. I still can't decide which one to get.

If you can, buy them both.  Then fish them both enough to know which one you prefer, and sell the other.  Unless you were to end up keeping both.  They are popular reels and should you sell one used, your still gonna get most of your money back out of it.  JMO

Goodluck-Brian

Flip a coin.

Flip a coin.

That is the point that I am at right now. I love my Revo SX and would like to add to the Revo family, but the Citica has some mysterious spell on me that is making me want to buy one. ;D

My only real concern is casting distance on 1/4oz crankbaits.  That is what I am really concerned about.

Line selection will affect casting distance more than anything. I use a citica e for the same application you are talking about and I am very happy with the reel's performance. I typically throw bandit cranks and they go a mile. Either choice is good, I just prefer shimano.

Flip a coin.

X2

But I'm a Shimano guy. I have a Citica D and I love it. I also have the Curado E and I love it even more. Can't speak for the Revo's, just never wanted to try one.

;)

I have the Revo S and SX, I have the older Citica B and D plus one Curado E7,Ive had the Curado B and D plus one Calcuta 100. Get what has a spell on you, the Citica E because if you don't you'll be think I should have got it! The Citica has the seductive new body style and the Revo has a nice but familiar design your already use too! You can always get it later down the line but get something totally new to you now , thats what buying toys are about. OH.... and its OK to like both Shimano's and Abu's!  

I forgot that I also picked up a Cruxis on black friday, I guess I'll need to pick up another Abu to balance things out.

I am in the process of making the same decision as you are.  I'm also trying to get a reel that can serve double duty in saltwater as well.  I've been leaning toward the Revo SX/STX but am also considering the Daiwa Advantage.  I like the magnetic anti-backlash adjustment instead of messing with the little weights.  I'll probably get flamed for writing that, but I'm new to the sport and I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible.  That being said, Shimano seems to make a faultless reel as far as quality goes.

I would get the Citica. I have both, the Revo S wins as far as smoothest retrieve, most likely due to higher bearing count. But with the same rod, line, and casting weight the Citica gets the nod at casting distance. The Citica is also lighter if that's a concern. The brake weights on the Revo S seem cheap. I use two weights on with four off and after I had the reel a while the four weights that were off just started slipping into the "on" position so I had to take the off completely. Let us know which one you get and good luck with either one ;)

I use the Citica E for the same thing your looking to use it for and love it. Very simple, smooth, light, and casts very well. The only thing that I have tried that I would put ahead of it casting wise is the Curado E.

I say go with the Citica E, just grab a spool of your favorite line for cranks, you won't be disappointed.