Sign in to follow this  
Certified Public Angler

Fast vs. Extra Fast

These two action types seem almost interchangeable when looking at different rods.  I know it has to do with what portion of the rod bends when pressure is applied, but what does that translate to in english?  Which applications would you rather have an XF then F or vice versa?  What type or weight of lures is better for which?

Thanks BR.

The boring answer would be it depends on the manufacturer, but fast versus true X-fast represent totally different rods. Loomis is the perfect example for me, because I used the MBR for a few years before buying some BCR's. Very different rods. When I was first introduced to the BCR's and their X-fast actions....I thought it simply equated to a stiffer blank, but it isn't that simple. The blank's power in an XF rod just continues further up the blank towards the tip versus tapering off sooner with a 'fast' blank. My XMG50 704's are not powerful rods at all, but are definitely XF. Whatever power they offer goes almost all the way to the tip. Generally, XF rods are for jig and worm fishing, because they aid in hook setting and moving fish. It seems they are more sensitive as well, based on my experience with the same blanks in fast and Xfast. This isn't fact....just a theory of mine.

Great thread as I am currently in the Market for a Soft Plastic Rod fore fishing weightless lures. I also was wondering what the difference is between F and XF...

My Preferences

Fishing Rods> Fast

Women> Extra Fast

i think natural gave an excellent answer...the power of an xf just seems to extend closer to the tip, making it better suited, imo, for driving single hooks home.

the difference between setting the hook with an mbr (f) and a bcr (xf) is almost like night and day...a quick wrist-snap with a bcr is usually all it takes.

ive only used one of my xf rods which is a med-light and only made about 50 casts with it but from what ive gathered, the xf rod has a softer tip making it easier to "shake" the lure in place without moving it. xf tips are used mostly for skakey heads, drop shot, jigs and worms. many people would still rather use a fast tip for worms and jigs, however. the softer tip of an xf rod also makes it easier to cast lighter lures. i think most people prefer fast tips for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits and moderate or mod-fast for cranks.

again, this is what ive been reading, not from personal experience.

Great thread as I am currently in the Market for a Soft Plastic Rod fore fishing weightless lures. I also was wondering what the difference is between F and XF...

i just purchased the BSR852. read up on it. a search on the tackletour forums will give you alot to read. i think it might be perfect for weightless plastics if youre looking for a spinning rod.

why is a xf action rod being discribed as having a softer tip than say a fast or moderate fast action rod. I have both rods and the tip on the xf to me seems more rigid and not softer than the fast action. I have never understood this but often see it discribed this way. To me the fast action has more give overall which to me seems like a softer tip. :-?

cbreeze22,

i may be incorrect as i am stating what i have read. someone please correct me if this is the case.

XF rods have a faster action, the tip is stiffer, it's better for jigs/weighted plastics. I Fish Fast and Moderate only because when if fish a rod that is XF i feel it is too stiff and that i am pulling the lure away from the fish, i like softer tip actions for better accuracy to.

-Jason

As others have said, the extra fast tip comes in handy for weightless plastics.  I use a AVS68MXF 6'8" extra fast avid spinning rod for weightless plastics and practically all my finesse techniques.  The extra fast tip transmits every little vibration so well, and average hit seems like a pig is trying to rip the rod outta your hands.  I love it for wacky rigs and weightless senkos under docks.  It's also easier to twitch your worm; it feels like you're so much more connected to your bait.  Hooksets are best, a quick wrist pop usually does the trick.  No need for what I call a Bill Dance.

Team it up with 8 or 10 pound flourocarbon and you've got a super sensitive rig for not a lot of cash.