Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

The best rod, without question

I've seen some threads on here the past couple of days about which rod is best for what.

I find myself chuckling, because it reminds me of another of my passions, golf.

Which golf club is the best?  Hmmmmm, the best golfer in the world, Tiger Woods, uses Nike clubs.  Is it because they are the best, or they offered him a number he could not refuse to play them.  

By the way, he does not use a Nike putter.  He uses a Titleist, Scotty Cameron model.  Tells you how much more critical the putting game is than all the other shots.  I doubt there's enough money to separate him from that club.

There are clubs for every purpose and situation.  And, so it is with fishing rods.

Anyway, it comes to mind that once upon a time, I only owned one rod, a Shakespeare Wonder Rod, seven feet long and as flexible as a buggy whip.  I still have that rod, and with a little wrist action, I can make it spin like a lasso, without the loop.

That rod has caught a 7 lb 14 oz largemouth, several 5 - 6 pound small mouths, a 36 inch chain pickerel, my first Striped Bass on a Striper Strike topwater plug, and stripers up to 12 pounds, plus panfish.

Heck, I've even trolled seaworms for stripers in the Westport River and the ocean with that rod.

I'll admit I was, and still am ignorant of the specific uses for the many types of rods available today.  One thing I know for sure, I had many a great time with that old rod.

It bears the scars and evidence of the abuse it endured.  Some of the eyes are held in place with adhesive tape, others bandaids.  Nonetheless, it survived, and together, we created many happy memories.

What's the best rod?  The best rod is not any particular brand or model.  

It's the rod you hold in your hands and brings enjoyment to you.

The #1 key to consistently catching bass is between your ears not between the folds of your wallet.  :)

Great post...but it hurts my eyes reading it.  The "I gotta try & have the newest fishing rod" other self keeps pulling me away from reading this post & enjoying it. :)

Great post...but it hurts my eyes reading it. The "I gotta try & have the newest fishing rod" other self keeps pulling me away from reading this post & enjoying it. :)

LOL. One of my buddies uses this expression when he buys a new set of clubs.

"I'm trying to buy a game."

Most of us do the same when it comes to fishing. A new rod, a better boat, cutting edge electronics, all bought with the dream that we will become better fishermen as a result.

I cannot find fault with your rationale. I too succumb to the latest and greatest syndrome.

I "rediscovered" the joy of fresh water fishing after a nearly 40 year hiatus. In late June, I purchased two spinning combos and a baitcasting combo.

What prompted that, was a canoe I bought my wife for her birthday. She has yet to set foot in it.

I had been considering taking up fishing again as something I could do in my retirement years. With a small private pond, only a few hundred yards from our home, and, having access, I decided the time had come.

It was my favorite pond in my youth, and the intervening forty years have done nothing to it to change my opinion. Back then, it was prime habitat for small mouth bass, and I was astonished when I hauled in a largemouth on my first trip back to my old haunts.

The smallies are now gone. Apparently someone introduced some largemouths into the pond, and they took over.

I'm not going to complain. It is now easier to catch greater numbers of larger fish. Having said that, I do miss the aerial acrobatics and fighting ability of the smallies.

Tom, Thank you for that wonderful perspective :)

Put just about any golf club in Tiger Woods hands and it becomes a "best" golf club.

Put just about any fishing rod in a great fishermens hands and the same thing happens.

It's really what works best for the individual angler.  

High quality gear will not make a poor fisherman a great fisherman,

but it will make a good fisherman better.

Locating fish is #1

Lure selection 2

Equipment may be a distant third, but it's still important.

First is line; second is hooks; third, in my mind, is the reel

and last is rod. The rod may be more important for "catching",

but it's the reel that makes "fishing" fun.

Regarding Tiger Woods:

I think he could beat just about every golfer in the world, that

isn't on tour, using nothing but a 7 iron or just his putter and no

other club. That doesn't make it right for you and me.

8-)

RW,

The rod last really.  Seems that it has much more to do with detecting bites than any reel.  If you don't feel them you ain't catching them. I think I have it above line as well.  Most any line properly maintained and in good condition is going to get the fish to the boat.  I guess it just goes back to the intent of the original post.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, you know I'm kinda fond of equipment, so I'm not too

far away from anyone when it comes to appreciating a fine

rod. However, if you have to make choices, the jig and plastics

rods are where the money should be spent. "Detecting the bite"

doesn't really come into play with other techniques.

Line? Well, I think it has to do with the presentation and impacts

the bites, big time! More importantly, it might be the deciding factor

in landing a World Record fish. :'(

Reels? The best example is smallmouth fishing. Without perfect

performance from the drag, dream fish are lost...period. Casting,

retrieve, line management and feel also come into play. Strong,

smooth, silent and reliant is all I want.

Hooks? If they're the wrong ones, you'll never really know what

you're missing. Most people just think "sharp", but "strong is just

as important.

Now back to the rod. No doubt it is important and perhaps the most

important component. I like to know the rod I'm fishing is exactly

the right one for the job (technique). Once we're past that, we can

focus on more important things, like presentation for example.

Fishing with the complete package is my goal.

8-)

I have no experience with big dollar rods, so I can not offer opinions about them

I do believe there is a point, as in stereo equipment and musical instruments that more money spent does not equal any real noticeable difference, to most people. Buddy Rich would sound great on kitchen pots!

I have experienced the work of Alpster first hand and have seen the meticulous and expert work of Flechero. I have seen EJ becoming a great builder, and for me this is the exception to spending big dough. These fellas take care and concern to build their customers a custom wrapped rod and their work alone is worth the price

I am a firm believer in Catt's" between the ears theory"

I would bet if we gave Fellas( please excuse me if I leave you out) Like Catt, Randall, Fish for Dollars, LBH, Fivebass Limit, the Natural and CJ, for instance UGLY STICKS on a trip with most of us in attendance.

They would out fish all of us, no matter how much our equipment cost and what they had to use. I know they would out fish me if I was in the same boat as any of them.

Too much status and macho ism goes along with a lot of equipment purchases for me. In posts alone never mind on the water.

Are the Cabelas and Fenwicks I use now better than the Shakespeare's I learned on, absolutely. As I get older do i appreciate lighter equipment, yes i enjoy the lowered strain on my arm

I can't speak to Steetz and such but i have had the chance to use a Legend Elite, Techna Elite etc, and I have to say you the feel of the bite is not a whole lot different from a Fenwick HMG.

' The question is at what point does it become overkill, at what point does it have to be to say OK this is as good as I need, the rest is my talent and knowledge.

THese thoughts are for actual fishing and not for the Tackle Junkies, who get their pleasure from the equipment and have every right to find it.

I had a sheep hunting buddy in Alaska ask me "when was the last time you regretted buying the best". He spent as much time on the mountains hunting Dall sheep as anyone I knew. When I asked him how much he spent on the "BEST", his reply was '"high doller spending does not mean you get the best product" His thinking was that "the best" was what ever you were willing to pay to get equipment that you felt comfortable with and had faith in. Equipment that would not fail you when the going got tough or when you were having the time of your life. He trusted his life on those mountains with his "BEST" equipment. I try to stick to his way of thinking. A rod and reel that feels as comfortable at the end of the day as it does at the beginning is my "BEST". My 2$ worth.

What an excellent way of stating that, and in a lot less words than i used , you stated it much more clearly

My golf partners claim that my golf equipment has a "bag Life" of less than 6 months. I guess that is also why my wife wants to know why I need all those fishing rods. Some of us just have to indulge ourselves.

Welcome aboard!

Go to "Introductions" and introduce yourself.

8-)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sensitivity is in the hand of the holder :)

The #1 key to consistently catching bass is location cause everyone knows ya can't catch em where the aint no matter how sensitive the rod.

I have enough experience to say that technique specific equipment is highly over-rated. I love looking at rod catalogs and they have a 6' 6" Med / Fast Action rod and then they have the same rod, same blank , with the same line and lure weight recommendations with a split handle and a pro's name attached to it and label it their Finesse Worm Rod. lets say and it's 80 bucks more , give me a break! Other than all the ridiculous colors of lures this is the most hyped and over rated gimmick for fishermen to waste money on

It's all about Buzz words, if you say the right things & own the right equipment it makes you a better angler.

I have no experience with big dollar rods, so I can not offer opinions about them

I do believe there is a point, as in stereo equipment and musical instruments that more money spent does not equal any real noticeable difference, to most people. Buddy Rich would sound great on kitchen pots!

I have experienced the work of Alpster first hand and have seen the meticulous and expert work of Flechero. I have seen EJ becoming a great builder, and for me this is the exception to spending big dough. These fellas take care and concern to build their customers a custom wrapped rod and their work alone is worth the price

I am a firm believer in Catt's" between the ears theory"

I would bet if we gave Fellas( please excuse me if I leave you out) Like Catt, Randall, Fish for Dollars, LBH, Fivebass Limit, the Natural and CJ, for instance UGLY STICKS on a trip with most of us in attendance.

They would out fish all of us, no matter how much our equipment cost and what they had to use. I know they would out fish me if I was in the same boat as any of them.

Too much status and macho ism goes along with a lot of equipment purchases for me. In posts alone never mind on the water.

Are the Cabelas and Fenwicks I use now better than the Shakespeare's I learned on, absolutely. As I get older do i appreciate lighter equipment, yes i enjoy the lowered strain on my arm

I can't speak to Steetz and such but i have had the chance to use a Legend Elite, Techna Elite etc, and I have to say you the feel of the bite is not a whole lot different from a Fenwick HMG.

' The question is at what point does it become overkill, at what point does it have to be to say OK this is as good as I need, the rest is my talent and knowledge.

THese thoughts are for actual fishing and not for the Tackle Junkies, who get their pleasure from the equipment and have every right to find it.

You hit the nail on the head.  Here are a couple of photos which show my first combo.  The front grip on the pictured rod is an elongated football shape.  Mine was straight.  Other than that, the color of the rod and eye wrapping is identical.

The reel is the same model however.  There is a reason early spinning reels were known as coffee grinders.

In spite of being crude by today's standards, I managed to catch a lot of nice fish on two and four pound test line.  I also lost several who were able to make a run into the vegetation or rocks.

http://fishingcollectables.com/images/r223.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pflueger-Freespool-Spinning-Reel-NR_W0QQitemZ120319943780QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fishing?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

I have enough experience to say that technique specific equipment is highly over-rated. I love looking at rod catalogs and they have a 6' 6" Med / Fast Action rod and then they have the same rod, same blank , with the same line and lure weight recommendations with a split handle and a pro's name attached to it and label it their Finesse Worm Rod. lets say and it's 80 bucks more , give me a break! Other than all the ridiculous colors of lures this is the most hyped and over rated gimmick for fishermen to waste money on

While my "experience" doesn't qualify me to state it as you did, that has been my impression since I started fishing again, and buying equipment to do same.

High quality gear will not make a poor fisherman a great fisherman,

but it will make a good fisherman better.

Locating fish is #1

Lure selection 2

Equipment may be a distant third, but it's still important.

First is line; second is hooks; third, in my mind, is the reel

and last is rod. The rod may be more important for "catching",

but it's the reel that makes "fishing" fun.

Regarding Tiger Woods:

I think he could beat just about every golfer in the world, that

isn't on tour, using nothing but a 7 iron or just his putter and no

other club. That doesn't make it right for you and me.

8-)

I was a successful commercial lobsterman.  I had a boat that was a "slab", an old Novie lobsterboat that had seen better days.  As boats went, it was in the bottom 10% of boats that fished out of Westport.  

Yet, I consistently outfished everyone else fishing the same waters.  A good friend once told me, "Tom, you do all right with that old boat."

My response to him was, "Milt it's the man in the boat, not the boat the man is in, that counts."  His reply, "Ouch!"

Remembering my late friend, among other things, I'll remember him for this.  

He was having problems with another fisherman setting trawls over his, and they got into a heated "discussion".  

At some point the other guy said, "I know karate."  Milton asked him, "Are you faster than a speeding bullet?"  End of discussion.