Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Revo STX or Curado

I am looking at buying a second baitcaster reel and I am not sure which one I should choose.  I have it narrowed down to two and would like to hear feedback from those who own these reels.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Abu Garcia Revo STX

Shimano Curado

I have two STX's, but no Curado's, so I can't compare them. I will say this.

If you plan to use line heavier than 12lb test, don't get a Revo. Both of mine behave the same way. With 10lb test, they cast like a dream, with 12, they start to get a little squirrelly. With 14 and 17, they are useless.

Hmm, I have three STXs and all will handle regular 12-15 lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid beautifully. I keep 2 spooled with 12 lb and one spooled with 15 lb. I have two SXs spooled with 12 lb and two Ss spooled with 15 lb. No problems at all with this line.

As far as Curado (E7) versus STX, it's been done to death. Get whichever you like better. If you need the debate, you can do a search.  Though I strongly recommend the Revo due to build quality and overall outstanding performance.  

Sorry, I just wanted feedback from people that owned them to tell me what they think of them.  I did not want to start a debate.

I can say the STX has treated me well. The reel is very well built. Both sideplates are aluminum. The bearings are high quality and I can get exceptional casting distance even with light baits - 1/4oz (though I used them for heavier things currently). It's smooth. And the drag is second to none. And don't let anyone fool you about the drag - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The brake is effective and refined and can be adjusted externally. And while I've never had to use Abu's service for a Revo, I have on some other reels and their service is peerless. You can't go wrong with a Revo STX.

BTW, the newest STXs have HPCR bearings which cause a "whir" when casting.  The previous stainless steel bearings were pretty silent.   I have two STXs with HPCR bearings and one with SS bearings.  Performance is identical.  I judt bring this up because some people say their reel whirs and others say theirs doesn't. The use of different bearings is the reason.  Both bearings are great.  

either. i would, if you can, go to someplace that stocks them and mount them on the rod they will live on and get an over all feel for them.

i like the stx a lot but.....i have the high speed unit and that i dont like.

I've used both and you really can't go wrong with either of them.  They're both great reels.  To me it comes down to the little thingsI like the way the curado feels in my hands more than the STX.  Fishing all day, I like the power knobs on the curado.  Plus, the curado is a bit cheaper.  Again, it's on personal preference.  

I have 8 STX reels and no problems.  Spooled with 12 and 14 lb. Sufix and one with 17 lb. Fluorocarbon.  I have gone as light as 3/16 oz. and as heavy as 5/8 oz. and get good distance on the cast.  As was mentioned the drag is great.  I've caught some "good" fish including fresh water stripers with no problems.  

Abu Garcia customer service is outstanding.  In case you haven't guessed.........I love my Revo's.

Shortbasser

VBS braking > Linear mag brake.

Then it comes down to whether you want an all aluminum reel vs. one made of half aluminum/half graphite.  

Ron, I agree with what was previously said, go handle both reels. I've heard great things about both reels but I have to say from the feel of my new Citica (same frame as the Curado) that they feel great in the hand.

What rod are you going to pair it with? What techniques did you have in mind?

I own a new Curado E , 2 Curado DHSV's and a Revo STX.  I prefer the Curado's over the Revo.  The Curado's are easier for me to cast.  They don't seem as finicky as the Revo.  Last year I had the Revo STX paried with a Loomis CBR906.  This year I decided to replace it with a Citica and move it to my flipping stick.  They have very strong drags so I figure it will excel the most in this role for me.

I have 3 STXs . I use 20 and 25lb  fouro test on my STXs without a single problem at all.

I couldn't decide between the Curado E7 and the Revo SX so I bought both to compare. I love both reels. I have both spooled with 12lb Suffix Siege Mono. But I would agree with everyone else that you need to go to the store and playing with both reels mounted on a rod. It is very hard for me to switch from Abu, which all my other reels are.  I have to say I favor the curado for braking, but the SX for feel and smoothness. But I am splitting hairs, I wouldn't get rid of either.

You have a tough choice. Good Luck

Thanks for all of the feedback, I am going to pair the reel up with one of my two BPS MH 6'6 Bionic Blade rods.  I currently have one of them paired up with my KVD Signature Series baitcaster (flippin/pitchin) reel and it works fine.  I figured it was time to get a second baitcaster, one a bit nicer than what I currently have.

The magnetic braking system on the STX is significantly different than

the centrifugal brakes on the Curado. If you could borrow both reels

from someone, I suspect you could make a definitive decision on

which one is best suited for you.

8-)

RW any chance you can you explain the difference in the braking system to me in a little more detail.  I only hav one BC reel and I guess I am trying to understand what the differences in the braking really mean.

Someone else can do a better job than me with the technical aspects,

but as a "user" the magnetic brakes are more finicky. I have my STX

dialed in, but I use it exclusively to fish 1/2 oz jigs with a trailer

or approximately 3/4 oz weight.

Centrifugal brakes give the user a broader range of options without

adjustment.

8-)

The VBS brakes on most Shimano reels have a definitive effect when adjusted.

The Linear mag brake on the STX doesn't.  It's a rather vague control that, even when compared to Garcia mag brake systems in the past, doesn't exert much control over the spool on the cast that's noticeable when adjusting.  You wind up setting up your reel with the spool tension knob instead.  

Ron, keep available gear ratios in mind. The Curado comes in a slow ratio version (more aptly used for cranking) and a high ratio version (more aptly used for flipping, pitching, burning baits, etc.) and a traditional multipurpose 6.*:1 ratio is currently unavailable.