Sign in to follow this  
coolhandlala

Split grip or Standard? Why?

Which do you prefer and why?  I have both and like both, not sure what the benefits are.  Seems like companies charge a little more for it but it doesn't really do anything.

I prefer standard, been using them for so long I just got to like them I tried a split grip, it seemed the rod (with the same reel) was tip heavy when compared to the standard grip

All in all I did not use the split grip long enough, it did not interest me enough to switch.

I like Split grips because I like the look and the weight reduction and greater sensitivity they offer.

You may want to pay attention to what Dan just posted. I am a diabetic , and because of nuropathy I can't rate this.

I have both types of rods.  I like the split grip better because I think it looks better, but I also get a better feel because I have more contact with blank.  The split grips I own are only for apps. where sensitivity is important like worms/jigs or finesse fishing.  Other apps. like spinnerbaits and cranks I use a standard grip.

personal preference.

ok for tipdown...the carrot is actually a pretty good cranker...but, for tipup, they all feel like fishing with a 7' pistolgrip.

as far as sensitivity, when i find one that can beat a bcr803 glx, i'll suffer thru it.

until then, i won't.

Thanks for the opinions I am debating between getting a legend elite or the new legend extreme and really the only difference is the split grip and the recoil guides.

Looks, sensitivity, and a little weight reduction.  My older model Kistlers were a little tip heavy when matched with reels less than 6 oz.  They have solved this issue with proper weight adjustment in the butt section.

I have both types of rods at home and I prefer the non split grips. I haven't gotten used to the splits yet since I recently started using them. For me right now when I pick up my rod and go to cast it, the split part still feels weird.

I got my first Split grip and used it this past season.  It's a DG Rodworks made by our own David Green (reel mech).  The spiral guides are great, the split grip... well,  I'm just not sure I care for it.  

The looks part is obviously subjective.  I can't say I think the SG rod style is any better looking than a well made standard handle and honestly, I've not noticed any better feel with those SG rods than standards.  

From what I notice, the weight reduction is minimal.  But what it does seem to affect is rod balance.  A little weight at the end of the rod can make a big difference in rod balance when the reel is attached.

I also feel a little more sensitivity.  With less cork in the way more vibrations seem to arise.

Now I am not an expert, but this is just what I have noticed with both rod types.

As far as sensitivity and weight reduction...I don't think the difference is so great that it warrants extra money...

BUT! I do feel that the split grip is more comfortable in my hand because of the taper towards the rod butt. I don't know about you guys, but when I begin making a fist there is less distance for my pinky to travel than my index finger :/

I do feel that the split grip is more comfortable in my hand because of the taper towards the rod butt. I don't know about you guys, but when I begin making a fist there is less distance for my pinky to travel than my index finger :/

This is akin to how they feel for me. I have bigger hands and the heal of my hand lays at a bit of an angle to the reel because of the taper of the rear grip. That is just alot more comfortable for me.

I prefer the standard grip on the G.Loomis GLX's or on the Dobyns rods because I have big hands and I can cast with more comfort with a full grip. However, when finesse fishing like dropshotting, darterheads or footballheads, I use the split grips like on the Shimano Cumara because I am looking for more feel and sensitivity than casting distance. This is just my take! Tight lines, K-DOGG! ;D

I build all my rods with split grips and I love them and they look sick. The only time I'm not a big fan of split grips is on crankbait rods. I prefer a fuller feel in the handle for crankbait rods, especially if I'm going to be using them all day.

I have both types of rods. I use standard type grip  for two handed casting of cranks and spinnerbaits and split grips for feel type baits.

Hands down, split grip.

Weight reduction will typically result in increased sensitivity.  There are other factors that may negate this (tip heavy rods, excess guides, poorly placed guides, excess epoxy, incorrect reel seat placement, etc.), but in my experience, reduced weight equates to an increase in sensitivity. Remember we're measuring weight reductions in grams and often ounces, so its subtle gains.

A split grip, again in my experience, has little to do with casting distance.  If i need to do a two handed launch of a deep diving crank, its just simple to accomplish using a split grip.

If you take a rod, that was originally balanced using a full grip design, a direct conversion to split grip "should" require a readjustment of blank components (guides, reel seat, etc).

For most folks, I believe its just a resistance to change.  Use whatever works for you, because in the end the fish could care less.

I tried one split grip and it didn't feel comfortable in my hands. I own several Loomis & Roque rods and they are plenty light & very sensitive with the full cork.