Sign in to follow this  
RobbyZ5001

Fenwick Rods

How do they match up against some of the big boys Gloomis/Powell/E21/Shimano/Kistler? They have HMX, HMG, Techna AV, and Elite Tech series. Anyone have any input?

The only Fenwick I have is a Techna AV AS70MM. This is a fine rod,

comparable to the St. Croix Avid series. When their pricing point was

$160, the rods were a great value.  At $210, the rods are overpriced.

8-)

With the discount you get they are worth every penny.

With the discount you get they are worth every penny.

X 2 :)

I fish with St Croix and Fenwick rods. They compair very well.

IMHO the HMX is better than a St Croix Premier, but not quite as  good as an Avid, the HMG and Avid are VERY close, but I still give the nod to the Avid in performance,and I like the spinning reel seats on the Avid better, but the HMG has the better price. The Techna AV is a head scratcher to me, It cost more than an Avid, but I don't think it's any better, and it's not ,IMHO, worthy of a direct comparison to the Legend Tournament St Croix's. When I decided to buy rods over $200 I skipped the Techna and went for the St Croix LT and am glad I did. I have yet to see/feel/handle an Elite Tech, but am dying too.

I have a Techna AV AC66MHF and I like it a lot, but it is really the only rod in that price range I have fished, and I got it on sale at Amazon.com last summer for like $78. :)

I loved every Fenwick I ever owned. I just switched out to all Cabelas Fish Eagle II's becuse I just love them. However I never had any problems with any Fenwick I ever owned, which included:

Ventura

Eagle GT

HMX

Technia AV

The posts I've seen and the articles I've read suggest the HMG is pretty much the equivalent to the Avid, and the Techna AV the equivalent to the Loomis IMX (with most I've seen saying it's better). Tackle Tour compared the HMG to the Avid in certain respects and found it essentially equivalent. In this respect, the Techna AV represents a better value than the IMX and the HMG a better value than the Avid. And most posts I've read from people that own or have fished both suggest the HMX is a decided step up from the Premier.

I have several HMGs and they are outstanding rods. They are light, extremely sensitive, and seem to be rated for for a rather broad range of lure weights. For instance, the GT66M (6'6" light) is rated up to 3/4oz. The GT66M (6'6" medium) is rated up to 7/8oz, and the GT66MH rated up to 1 oz. With respect to sensitivity, I've fished a couple of the aforementioned competitor's rods and see no need whatsoever to spend the extra money on the Avid, unless you just want to or think you need alconite guides. It's a nice rod, but doesn't offer anything performance wise over the HMG.

The HMGs on up carry a Lifetime Warranty (below that a 5 year warranty). I broke a HMG and it was as simple as taking the rod back to the retailer and exchanging it. I was informed that the retailer administered the warranty for the first year.

I also own a couple of HMXs.  They are great rods and great values.   Light, sensitive, and ultra tough.  

I also have an EliteTech Crankstaft rod (7'3" MH/MF).  The rod has a great combination of backbone along with a nice delayed action.  The bottom half of the rod is graphite, the upper half fiberglass.  The guides are all double-footed Fuji Alconite.  Very nice.  The grip below the reel seat is about 9 1/2 inches, very nice if you like to cast two handed.  I also like the bulge at the end of the grip.  It gives a very nice sense of control.

I really like Fenwicks.  After shopping other brands, I'm going to stick with Fenwick until someone comes along with a better rod for the same price.  Until then, there is no reason to switch.  

I primarily fish fenwicks and I love them.I have never had a problem with them.Ive tried my buddies glx loomis and I can say I saw no reason to switch.I have the techna av , the crankshaft, golden wings, hmg, and a cofi and I love them all.Ive had a few of them for quite a few yrs now as you can tell cause i dont believe they make a couple of the models I mentioned anymore.

There are a few places where the Techna AV are typically priced at $160 or less.  Sometimes significantly less.  They are very sensitive, but balance is a matter of personal taste.  IMHO, my Techna AV's are significantly more sensitive than my Shimano Crucial.  One advantage that Techna AV's (and other Fenwicks) may have is that they handle a wide range of lure weights.

HEY ROBBIE: GOOD TIP

Go onto Amazon , daily and type in the Fenwick Rod line you are interested in, THEY HAVE CRAZY UNANOUNCED SALES!

I got an HMX 6'6" Med/Fast Trigger rod Delivered for 38.41, total!

A friend got a Techna AV 7ft MH/Fast delivered for 80 Bucks

worth spending the time to check it out