Sign in to follow this  
Ineedanewscreenname20170204

Worm rod in the $200 range

I love to Texas Rig and am looking for a good rod to match up with my Revo SX for (mostly) worm and jig fishing.  I throw a lot of weightless senkos and flukes and some pegged texas rigs.  My budget for this rod is around $200.  In my initial research I found a G. Loomis BCR803 MossyBack Jig and Worm Rod.  The rod gets decent reviews but I'd like to know what you guys think of this rod and any other rod worth consideration.  Also I'm thinking 14 fluorocarbon would be good for worm fishing.  Am I on the right track?

You cannot go wrong with a Loomis Worm/Jig rod. Look around on ebay and you might be able to get yourself a big discount. I have the BCR853 GLX version and love it for worm fishing. I prefer 7ft rods.

I own a few Loomis rods and they are great, but I would suggest getting a Powell 683cef/703cef rod instead. I have the 683cef just a great rod. At $140 they are the best deal around.

I own a few Loomis rods and they are great, but I would suggest getting a Powell 683cef/703cef rod instead. I have the 683cef just a great rod. At $140 they are the best deal around.

Powell are tough to beat for the money. I love all of my Powells, but the Loomis is just a tad more sensitive.

Dobyns 733C . Very good all around rod, from t-rigged plastics, to lighter jigs, and even spinnerbaits and shaky heading, you can throw just about anything. Check out BassTackleDepot, the new ones just came in stock.

I love to Texas Rig and am looking for a good rod to match up with my Revo SX for (mostly) worm and jig fishing. I throw a lot of weightless senkos and flukes and some pegged texas rigs. My budget for this rod is around $200. In my initial research I found a G. Loomis BCR803 MossyBack Jig and Worm Rod. The rod gets decent reviews but I'd like to know what you guys think of this rod and any other rod worth consideration. Also I'm thinking 14 fluorocarbon would be good for worm fishing. Am I on the right track?

I don't have the mossyback, but do have the glx version of the bcr803. Absolutely perfect for 1/4 to 1/2oz t-rigs and jigs and the most sensitive rod I have ever fished with. I love this rod and it always goes in the boat with me (because I love to fish small jigs and t-rigs). If you keep an eye out you can occasionally find a good deal on the glx.

Also, 14lb flouro should be a perfect line for a t-rigs in moderate cover.

Powell 703C MH/XF  matched with my STX Revo I think is great setup and youll like the price well under $ 200.  Use mine for T rigs Senkos C rigs Flukes jigs 8-)

My favorite worm until it was accidentally stepped on by a customer was a G. Loomis CR804 GLX Mossyback; I replaced with a Shimano Crucial CRC-X610MH which in my option is more sensitive and has more back bone.

Thanks to everyone that posted. I ended up buying a St. Croix Avid (AVC66MHF). It seems like a sweet rod for worm fishing - we'll see in a few weeks when the water gets soft again in my area...

Great rod...you'll love it.