Sign in to follow this  
hawgchaser

Does anyone prefer magnetic braking systems?

I am curious why magnetic systems are used on reels. I sort of understand the dual braking systems but I have yet to find a magnetic system that I like.

In fact I will no longer buy or recommend BPS extreme reels bc of this. The ones that I have had such great success with are totally different from the new ones.

Personally, I don't understand why more companies don't use something similar to Quantum's ACS11 system. This is an externally controlled centrifigul system that is superior to any other i have used. Im certainly not saying their reels are superior by any stretch but that particular system is awesome.

Anyway, I am just curious if i am in the minority on this. Do you prefer magnetic braking and why?

I can not say I prefer magnetic brake systems over centrifugal brake systems, for the vast mayority of the lures and casting techniques both systems work equally well, when magnetic braking systems shine is when you are faced to casting techniques that require minute adjustmens in the braking specially when trying to cast or pitch lightweight or wind resistant offerings while maintaining spool overrun control without having to sacrifice distance/accuracy/easiness.

It 's easier to fine tune a magnetic brake system than it is to fine tune a centrifugal brake system due to the fact that to increment the braking in a magnetic system in one unit you have to go through 4 clicks in the dial so you can fine tune from let 's say 1 to 2 through 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 & 1.8 beafore you reach 1 unit, you can 't do that with a centrifugal brake system, you only have 6 weights.

When do I prefer magnetic over centrifugal ?

When I cast light offerings.

Personally, I don't understand why more companies don't use something similar to Quantum's ACS11 system.

Probably because of patent or proprietary issues.

Mine are magnetic. I like being able to quickly dial them in with the outside adjustment. I rarely however have to do this. Just make sure my spool tension is correct. If I really liked a real for other reasons I wouldnt let the centrifigal feature keep me from buying it. Have Revo STXs and no over run issues. Really like them.Would like to try a Curado but they dont have it in 6.1 ratio 8-)

Not me, they're too finicky for my taste.

I can't say that I really prefer one over the other b/c 99% of the time I set it and leave it.  The only slight edge goes to the magnetics b/c they are easier to change in the rare event I need to chage, and I don't have the access the inside of the reel to do it or worrying about the brake cap or sideplate falling in the water.

Not me, they're too finicky for my taste.

I agree with RW. It seems that you have to constantly adjust. I do not think it is just one manufacturer. I have used Browning, Revo STX and Quantum with the same result. It seems Daiwa is a bit better. Centrifugal is best for me.

I do, if its Daiwa's Mag-Z or Mag-V system.

I grease my bearings with the drippings  ;D

I personally prefer my magnetic braking systems, specifially my daiwa.  I love my daiwa reels, and my bps extreme I like too.  Especially on a windy day.  I can make quick, fine tune adjustments immediately.

I have dual braking on all of mine now.  I can't imagine going back.

I have heard that Daiwa's system is pretty good. I have thrown enough of them to notice.

As far as set it and forget it, I do that with all of my reels with no external controls. However, now that I have 4 quantum PT reels, I have fallen in love with their braking system.

If I am throwing a light bait and switch to one a touch heavier or especially in big time wind, the ability to quickly slam on or off the brakes has been fantastic. I can't imagine going back. But I have never liked magnetic bc they are so darn finicky. IMO, Quantum nailed this one.

I have dual braking on all of mine now. I can't imagine going back.

Agreed.

Why choose when you can have both?   ;D

I absolutely prefer magnetic braking reels. I adjust, then I no longer use the thumb control to prevent backlashes.

I have many reels, and I do OK with my Garcia C3s & C4s with rattletraps, etc, but for lighter lures, I prefer magnetic braking.

My rod/reel of choice at this time for Bass fishing is the Rick Clung Combo offered by BPS.

Dr T