Sign in to follow this  
RLinNH

G-Loomis GLX, Worth the Price of Admission?

I am currently in the market for a Spinning Rod combo that I will be using 4-6 lb Fluro on to be used in relatively shallow water with weightless plastics. I have been looking long and hard at a lot of different Rod Manufacturers. The G-Loomks GLX sticks out in my mind. I have casted a G-Loomis GLX 5 weight Fly Rod, and I was amazed at how the rod loaded in close, yet could still boom out a 90 ft. cast. It was by far, the best 5 weight I had ever casted. But, is the $400ish price tag really justified in the GLX Spinning Rods? Having never casted a GLX Spinng rod I want to be sure before I go spending my money on one becasue everything else that competes against the Rod is in the 250ish price range. Just wondering if anyone here had casted one or beter yet, fished a GLX. Was it the most sensitive Rod you ever Picked up? Was it worth the Money? Or is a St. Croix Tournament or a Kistler just as good?

For a little less money you could check out the new Legend elites, I just got one and was blown away by it. I have never had a GLX spinning rod but the casting rod I had was sweet. I would say it is probably a toss up between those 2. But I will say those are both a definite step up from the Legend Tournament, Kistler, or IMX. But worth the extra $100-$150 that is "the question" and it depends on who you talk to what the answer will be. :(

Check out the Legend Elite 68mxf is is awesome ;)

If money is no object , then it is definately worth it but if it hurts your wallet , there are a lot of cheaper rods in the 200-300 range that are very well suited for what you want to do. JMHO.

GLX is worth the price, but I wouldn't buy a spinning rod in GLX.  That's just me- I don't think you get the best out of it in a spinning rod, due in part to the reel seats.  My personal opinion is that the casting rods allow you to feel all the GLX has to offer.

I would (and have) buy the spinning rod in IMX.  

GLX is worth the price, but I wouldn't buy a spinning rod in GLX. That's just me- I don't think you get the best out of it in a spinning rod, due in part to the reel seats. My personal opinion is that the casting rods allow you to feel all the GLX has to offer.

I would (and have) buy the spinning rod in IMX.

X2.  

in my opinion it's not worth it.  I tried lots of different rods (st. croix premier, avid, legend tourney, legend elite, shimano crucial and a couple others) before finally biting the bullet and buying a glx bsr803.  quite simply - it's just not head and shoulders above the other rods out there at the top end.  i'm not even sure it's above them at all.  definitely a great rod but as far as i'm concerned not worth the extra money.  if you really want one, i'll sell you mine.   :(

The GLX series is well worth the money when sensitivity is the issue.

By most counts, this is the industry standard and does stand head and

shoulders above the rest. I think the best tests are soft plastics and jigs.

For all other applications, the IMX is just fine.

p.s.

Two of my favorite rods are St. Croix EC70MHF and ES70MF.

These rods are VERY close to GLX and were bought

from Reed's during their clearance sale for a significant

savings.I added this as a footnote to make the point: price

counts! So, if you have the wallet, you will be very pleased

with G. Looomis GLX series rods, but as others have said,

there are "comparable" choices which are very good.

8-)

I owned a sjr721 and 722 in glx graphite and loved the light weight and sensitivity of the rod,yes it cost more but i had japan 600.00 stellas on them so the $ wasn't a issue,i have sense sold them just because i thought i wanted to try something else.The reelseat on the glx and imx are the same,of course the graphite is different and the glx has titanium sic guides,the imx just has alconites in black frames.

I can say now i own two maglites by loomis and wish they would make it in glx to shave a little more weight than the imx is.