Sign in to follow this  
MichiganFisherman

BC vs Spinning?

So after reading the sticky on baitcasting problems, I'm kind of having second thoughts about purchasing one.  Is there a good reason why BC reels are any better than spinning setups?  I've always done just fine with spinning gear so why change?   :-?

Baitcasting is usually more durable. They require less effort to retrieve certain lure types.

More accurate by a long shot.

More lure/line control.

To name a few.

Spinning gets the nod when using light weights, 1/8-3/16 or less, or no weight.

They also get the nod when a slack line fall on entry is preferred....Shakey, wacky worms, tubes, and drop shotting.

For the past year or so I've been doing pretty much all of my fishing with spinning rigs with no problems at all. I've decided to focus more on cranks this year, so I bought a new rod and have a new BC on the way, but that's mainly due to the lack of decent crankbait rods for spinning reels.

Stick with what you're comfortable using.

All techniques can be fished on spinning tackle, but...

bait casting equipment is fun to use

there is usually greater line capacity

stronger overall and higher drag ratings

the rod blanks themselves are different for identical ratings

some find them more comfortable, especially for specific techniques

plus, a lot of guys think baitcasters are "macho", spinning = sissy rod

This is how I roll:

Finesse = spinning tackle

Power= baitcasting gear

8-)

I would learn to use both. I am more accurate with a baitcaster. There are some inhuman characters out there who have learned to be just as accurate with a spinning reel but for most of us, you can't beat feathering the spool to make the lure land in just the perfect spot. That's not to say spinning equipment is inaccurate for casting. I just can't approach the accuracy I have with a baitcaster.

I agree with the comments above that spinning equipment is best for lighter lures and finesse tactics. So I use both.

The baitcaster's difficulty will vary, depending on the quality of the reel and your hand/eye coordination and timing.

If you don't have the patience to learn to use the baitcaster stick with spinning. I prefer baitcasting but always have a spining outfit on the deck. Now my buddy, who at one time was 100% spinning, is now 100% baitcasting.

Awesome. Thanks guys. So is a baitcaster really that hard to learn how to use? I'm interested but, I'd feel better about it if I could try one out first. Nobody I know uses them.

When I was a kid I learned to use baitcasting reels on an Abu Garcia 5500C3. We musky fished back in those days....

Where are you located?

If your close by I have a 4600 C3 Abu you can borrow to practice with. Just take care of it....

The baitcaster's difficulty will vary, depending on the quality of the reel and your hand/eye coordination and timing.

I disagree that it takes any kind of fancy reel. I learned when I was a kid on a 25 year old technology reel (at the time-even more old school now).

There is one key point to remember and/or feel when starting out....And that is to keep the rod loaded. Spinning only guys get used to whipping it out there....A baitcaster will backlash every time with that tactic.

Practice with a heavy lure/weight, and a slower action rod...

I disagree that it takes any kind of fancy reel. I learned when I was a kid on a 25 year old technology reel (at the time-even more old school now).

There is one key point to remember and/or feel when starting out....And that is to keep the rod loaded. Spinning only guys get used to whipping it out there....A baitcaster will backlash every time with that tactic.

Practice with a heavy lure/weight, and a slower action rod...

I never said it takes a fancy reel. There's a big difference between "fancy" and "quality". There's nothing fancy about an Abu 5500C3, yet it's still a quality reel.

Awesome. Thanks guys. So is a baitcaster really that hard to learn how to use? I'm interested but, I'd feel better about it if I could try one out first. Nobody I know uses them.

It takes practice in the beginning but it is worth it for the added flexibility.  You may think you have it down quickly practicing in your backyard, but then when you get on the water you'll have to deal with trees, brush, and other obstacles and it becomes a whole new ballgame.  Keep some spinning rods setup to switch to if you backlash badly to save fishing time.  I wouldn't give up on it though.  Eventually it will be second nature to you.  I think if you do a search on this site you will come up with quite a bit of information to help you learn how to use these reels.

Get good with both. Practice!!

Can't beat 7.1-1 baitcaster for buzzin' and likewise tough to beat spinning with 6lb line for shakin' or finesse.

If it is just for learning purposes, you can go to the local Walmart and pick up an AbuGarcia Silver max or Black Max combo for $50-60. This should be a good combo to learn on with out killing your wallet. Once you have the combo, come back here and dig thru the articles and archives, and read up on adjusting a baitcaster.

Once you get the hang of it you'll understand.  And I agree with RoadWarrior, it's fun!

When I was a kid I learned to use baitcasting reels on an Abu Garcia 5500C3. We musky fished back in those days....

Where are you located?

If your close by I have a 4600 C3 Abu you can borrow to practice with. Just take care of it....

I'm in Jackson.  According to yahoo maps we're about 97 miles apart.  That's a really nice gesture, thanks, but, I'm afraid 97 miles is a bit too far of a drive.  Eh, I'll get around to buying/using one some day.  No real rush.  I do just fine with my spinning gear.  :D  May have to pick up a cheap combo this summer to try out though.  

Thanks for the replies guys.

I started with my first BC last year and learned quick.  I picked up a used Shimano Citca from my friend and got his input as I figured it out.  First trip-learned to cast.  Pretty easy, fluid motion, fit my casting style.

Second trip-learned to pitch & flip.  It was a little more difficult but by the end of the day I had the basics down pat.

Third trip-put it all together and my confidence has continued to grow.

I still use my spinning gear for lightweight and finesse but enjoy the power of a BC setup.

No they're not hard to learn at all. It just takes a little bit of practice. Read some of the threads/articles hear about setting up your baitcaster right and you'll be casting decent enough to fish within an hour or two of practice. The big thing is have patience and don't get frustrated if you can't cast a mile at first. One word of caution, don't go for a super cheap reel because you think that you just want to try it out. The super cheap baitcasters in the $30-40 make learning much harder and you'll be quicker to give it up. Something along the lines of a BPS extreme would be a very good, mid/low priced starting reel.