Sign in to follow this  
michaelkim_9582

BPS vs. Cabela's ?

I'm looking to get a couple rods for this year, and decided to get one of BPS's or Cabela's high end rods with the recoil guides. and I was wondering if any of you tryed this rods out and how they felt.

I want to make the right choice, considering they only have 1 year warranty on them.

Well right now BPS has the elite series on sale for $150 and signature series on sale for $120 i think. I would trust BPS more just because generally their products are built better, I have yet to really use Cabelas so not sure about that statement.

I like BPS's house reels better than Cabelas, still think some Cabelas are good

I like Cabelas rods better than BPS

I have my first Johnny Morris on the way, so i can't give you any experience with that one until I use it for a season

I like the Fish Eagle ii's and the XML's better than the Extreme and Pro Quaifier series from BPS I have used these rods so I will tell you what I think. None of these products from either BPS or Cabelas are bad, just my personal preference after using them/

I am not a huge fan of private label anything, but I would choose cabelas over BPS anytime. I am just not a fan of BPS.  I have a couple friends that all they fish are cabelas XMLti rods and they swear buy them.  I have tried them and they are sweet for the money and you can't beat the warranty.  I would compare the XMLti rods to an Avid, without the name.  Now because they don't have the name they "add" on some things like a dual touch reel seat and recoil guide, if you get into that sort of thing.

Just curious why you have chosen to go private label over a St. Croix, Loomis, or Shimano?  For less money you could get an Avid  or Crucial or for about the same money jump to the Legend Tournament, IMX, or cumara.

How many Pro bass fisherman do you see working with Cabelas?

How much bass attention period does Cabelas offer?

If you have ever been to a Cabelas store and a BPS store this would be a no brainer. My "local" Cabelas store is over priced, incompetent staff, and the fishing is undescribably pathetically stocked.

BPS is usually the opposite on all counts.

And I have a 7'6" BPS Johnny Morris Elite....85mil modulous, recoil guides etc.

This is an excellent rod. I came away feeling like I got ALOT more rod for my money than I did with my Loomis.

About the only rod in that length I've found lighter is a Carrot Stix. GLX is probably right there with it.

Sensativity is great. But about all I've done so far is pitched jigs down at the river.....Lakes are either solid or trying to skim over constantly up here.

The exact opposite here in PA the Cabelas in Hamburg blows the BPS in Harrisburg outta the water.

\

I choose to fish some Cabelas rods over "brand" name rods, because the fish good, they last and Cabelas stands by their products.

whats the warranty on Cabelas rods? because I know Bps's are one year but not sure about cabelas.

I'm choosing a private label Because I wanted to try out the recoil guides and going with either the XMLTi or the Johnny Morris elite is the cheapest way.

other rods with recoil guides, such as St Croix Extreme and Kistlers are all in the $350 range

also because they go on big sales where you can buy them cheap.

Both BPS and Cabelas will generally replace rods, even beyond the warranty point if it is reasonable. I broke an Extreme , it was my fault I pushed the insert out of the tip guide, it was out of warranty and they replaced it, I told them it was my fault and I originally wanted a tip replacement kit, they swapped out the rod

I have never had a Cabelas rod fail, that's way better than a warranty

I have not used it, I won't give an opinion on stuff I have not used.

Not sure on the Fish Eagle II rods, but I thought I remember them to be a 5 year warranty but don't know that for sure.  I know that the XML rods are 25 years.  I like the way the Cabela's rods fish better than the BPS rods.  The Fish Eagle II rods are a great rod for the money if you can get them on sale or part of a combo with a nice reel.  The workmanship on the Cabelas rods is a little nicer and more consistent.  Some of the BPS rods that I've had and/or seen are pretty sloppy in the way they were put together  (blanks that weren't very straight, sloppy epoxy work, butt caps not lined up right or not attached very well, etc.)  

You know, I don't know for sure if Cabelas has any big players on their pro staff, but I don't think that has any bearing on this decision.  I'm sure product endorsement and sponsorship goes way beyond the simplicity of who makes a better product.

I won't argue that sponsorship goes a long way toward influencing what a pro uses....

But there are at least a couple big name guys that actually use BPS stuff. Even in the Bass Master Classic. Clunn and Evers were both using BPS takle.

It all boils down to personal preference. I've done alot of business with BPS. From rods, reels, takle, clothing, tents, camp gear etc...I've always been happy.

At cabelas, I couldn't get one minute of help from anyone remotely knowledgeable even after picking up about $1,000 of stuff in one trip....

I only use either's middle tier rods, and which one I use depends on application. If I want a high end rod, I buy from a high end company. I don't mess around with generics past a certain price point. The real rod value from either company comes in their mid tier stuff.

As to any general statements people make about either company's stuff being "built better", I find that a real fallacy. Both companies have certain products that are total junk and certain products that are real winners. In using "house branded" products, I do not, and would not, shop from either one exclusively.

I think I might pick up a xml ti // curado e7 combo, next time I go fishing at my aunt and uncles, cabelas is on the way to thier house, in michigan!

I only use ether's middle tier rods, and which one I use depends on application. If I want a high end rod, I buy from a high end company. I don't mess around with generics past a certain price point. The real rod value from either company comes in their mid tier stuff.

As to any general statements people make about either company's  stuff being "built better", I find that a real fallacy. Both companies have certain products that are total junk and certain products that are real winners. In using "house branded" products, I do not, and would not, shop from either one exclusively.

Generic???  Hardaloy Guides,Alconite Guides,Fuji9 Handles aare not generic stuff. Once Cabelas Puts their name on a rod it is not generic it is a Cabelas Branded rod.They are made in overseas factory like many other rods, probably in the same plants.

I have used the Bps Extreme Reels ( 4 of the 7 models) The BPS Pro Qualifier Reels and the Extreme Spinning reel>>Major Trash on the last one

The Bps Extreme,Pro Qualifier and Bionic Blades extensively

The Cabelas Old and New Prodigy Bait casting reels the Zx Bait caster, the Older Black Widow and one Xz spinner

The Cabelas Guide Pro, Fish Eagle II's and One XML extensively and can truly, from a lot of use say that Cabelas Rods comparing the ones I have used are better made than the BPS ones I have used

I can also say that the BPS Extreme Line of Bait Casting reels are better, I have not tried this years model which seem to be more of an ABU type brake than a Pflueger Break and I can not give a review. The Old Silver Prodigy was a lot better than the new one ,made for them by Diawa

For 99 bucks the Pflueger Trion Bait casters and the 60 Buck Pflueger President Spinning reels are much better value than either BPS or Cabelas reels in the same price range

There is no fallacy in this, this is from years of use.

Just to add my 2 cents... I agree that both BPS and Cabelas have their brand on products that are both good, and not so good.  I haven't used either of the Cabela's rods mentioned so I can't give a valid comparison.  I do know where both companies make their rods and I can tell you the BPS factory has a better reputation.  There are a few big "name brand" companies that use the same factory (Shimano for example).

The pro staff was brought up earlier, and I think they do make a difference.  Cabelas essentially just has other companies (Daiwa for example) put the Cabelas name on products.  BPS does that some too, but for the most part BPS finds their own factories and develops their own products.  That's where the pro staff comes in.  They work closely with a large number of pro fishermen (not just bass) to get input on what works, what needs to change, and what new products should be developed.  Thats why you saw them come out with a reel like the Nitro before other companies came out with similar reels (Revo Toro).

Finally, to give my thoughts on the original question...  I do have two JM Elite rods, and I love them.  They do have a really fast action so I don't use them for any really light, finesse techniques, and definately no cranking.  But for spinnerbaits for example, I'm just as happy with the Elite as I am my Loomis SBR813C.

I own a johnny morris signature series spinning rod and i really like it.  I own a glx, st. croix's at every level from premier to elite, carrot stix and a cumara so i have tried lots of different rods.  the signature series does give you great performance for the price.  I would consider it a fantastic choice.  the sensitivity is really good and it is very light.  in my opinion you wouldn't be disappointed with a johnny morris rod.  good luck!

I own a Cabelas XMLTi but haven't had it out yet. It is a last year model 6'6"MH B/C that is normally $180 but was on clearance for $80 and can't speak to sensitivity but just practicing with it the rod feels good. I own several XML's 3 to be exact and love them. In fact when I broke the first one I owned on a trip I was hurt cause it was my best setup. I had it retipped and went back to fishing with it. Then on stupid mistake of getting snagged and trying to free the lure using the rod I snapped it in half. I posted on the board here and talked with a salesman and he told me to bring it in and go to customer service and they would exchange it. I took my receipt in and what was left of the rod and they exchanged it no problem. No questions asked on how I broke it and took me longer to find the replacement than it did for them to exchange it.

I only have Cabelas rods and think they are a great value and I own 10 different rods made by them and enjoy them all.

I can't speak on the BPS rods or warranty but the Cabelas brand and warranty are fine with me

I only use ether's middle tier rods, and which one I use depends on application. If I want a high end rod, I buy from a high end company. I don't mess around with generics past a certain price point. The real rod value from either company comes in their mid tier stuff.

As to any general statements people make about either company's stuff being "built better", I find that a real fallacy. Both companies have certain products that are total junk and certain products that are real winners. In using "house branded" products, I do not, and would not, shop from either one exclusively.

Generic??? Hardaloy Guides,Alconite Guides,Fuji9 Handles aare not generic stuff. Once Cabelas Puts their name on a rod it is not generic it is a Cabelas Branded rod.They are made in overseas factory like many other rods, probably in the same plants.

Sorry you got confused. 'Generic' here simply means house branded stuff.

The exact opposite here in PA the Cabelas in Hamburg blows the BPS in Harrisburg outta the water.

\

I choose to fish some Cabelas rods over "brand" name rods, because the fish good, they last and Cabelas stands by their products.

I'm sorry to say muddy I 100% disagree with you about Cabelas fishing department selection over BPS. The Hamburg Cabelas doesn't have anywhere near the selection that the Harrisburg BPS does. The only edge that Cabelas has over BPS is that they have some hard to find stuff that BPS doesn't carry. As far as house brand rods go, I prefer the BPS rods over the cabelas rods by far.

Why you sorry, It's not my store!! To each his own  and the more experienced opinions that get posted the better the guy has to help him make a decision.