Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Re: Palomar Knot

Pass the line through the eye of a hook, then pass the tag end back through the eye to create the loop.

The knot isn't to blame for your problems.  Simple operator error.

I use a palomar know 99% of the time. When I tie it on a spinnerbait, I'll double the line up and tie an over hand knot. Take the loop (make sure its long enough to go around the bait. Make sure the main line, the tag end AND the loop are all above the bend in the spinnerbait. Now, pull the tag end tight (making sure you moisten the knot as you're pulling it tight). Cut it off and you're done.  ;)  

What line were you using? What was the area like that you were throwing the spinnerbait? Did you check your line often if the area was full of cover? It could be another factor that's breaking your line. Those were just a few that came to mind. Hope that helps!

The Palomar is the only knot I use.  I find that it is easier for me to run the tag end through the eye of a hook and then back through.  Don't have to pinch the line that way.  Make sure you moisten the line before you pull it up tight and keep the loops as even as possible.  Pull the tag end rather than the main line if you get a mini loop.

Shortbasser

Burley.........thank you for being the one to say that.....

I once sat and watched a buddy of mine try to thread the loop through the eye for at least 3-4 minutes.  It would have been longer, but he looked up and saw me........couldn't keep a straight face.

soxfan....like the other guys said...make sure you moisten the line before cinching the knot tight.....I really think that people have trouble with this knot because they haven't cinched it down completely.....I've also heard that spit'n on it can prevent "burning the line" which, if I understand it correctly, could also cause break-offs

When tying any knot, apply a liberal coating of spit before cinching.  When tying a palomar knot, do not pull on the mainline.  Use the tag end to cinch.

I accomplish that by putting the tag end in my mouth, holding with my teeth and pulling to cinch the knot.  Pull SLOWLY to avoid burning the line.

I learned this knot and really want to use it but after my last trip I am a little skeptical. I had 3 spinner baits brake off. I am not ready to blame it on the knot completely....but in order to tie it you need to pass a loop through the eye of a hook. I find myself pinching the line multiple times before it will go through the hook. I am thinking this may be the week spot that is breaking.

Am I tying the knot wrong? What can I do to prevent the breaks? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Take Burley's advice and be thankful you weren't trying to do that with a size 2 or 4 drop shot hook. You really would have  been frustrated!  ;D

When tying any knot, apply a liberal coating of spit before cinching. When tying a palomar knot, do not pull on the mainline. Use the tag end to cinch.

I accomplish that by putting the tag end in my mouth, holding with my teeth and pulling to cinch the knot. Pull SLOWLY to avoid burning the line.

"C'est fini!  ;)

When tying any knot, apply a liberal coating of spit before cinching. When tying a palomar knot, do not pull on the mainline. Use the tag end to cinch.

I accomplish that by putting the tag end in my mouth, holding with my teeth and pulling to cinch the knot. Pull SLOWLY to avoid burning the line.

"C'est fini! ;)

That covers it all, there is nothing more to say.

What line are you using as they are not all created equal.

I switched to the Palomar ages ago as it's by far the easiest knot of all time to tie; and it works.  I'm testing the Eugene not for fluoro to see how that works.

Always test your knot before you throw with it.

The Palomar is a great knot and I use it for most lures, but I actually prefer the San Diego Jam Knot for spinnerbaits. It's much easier to tie since you don't have to pass the lure back thru a loop.

The Palomar is a great knot and I use it for most lures, but I actually prefer the San Diego Jam Knot for spinnerbaits. It's much easier to tie since you don't have to pass the lure back thru a loop.

Try a similar knot that's prettier!

Sixteen-Twenty, also know as the Duncan Knot or Pitzen Knot:

http://206.210.94.83/collaterals/pdf/fhf_knot_sixteen_twenty.pdf

8-)

I learned this knot and really want to use it but after my last trip I am a little skeptical. I had 3 spinner baits brake off. I am not ready to blame it on the knot completely....but in order to tie it you need to pass a loop through the eye of a hook. I find myself pinching the line multiple times before it will go through the hook. I am thinking this may be the week spot that is breaking.

Am I tying the knot wrong? What can I do to prevent the breaks? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Take Burley's advice and be thankful you weren't trying to do that with a size 2 or 4 drop shot hook. You really would have been frustrated! ;D

Yup, in 30mph winds and 6 footers with 5/6 pound line... ;D

I was using 12lb Trilene mono line.  I have been using spit but I think I may pull both the tag end and the line to tighten.  

I was fishing a clear water lake with a rocky bottom and was slow rolling the spinner bait.  I should have thought to check the line regularly for nicks since it was hitting tons of rocks.  

Thanks for the help and info.

**Oops I accidentally deleted the original post trying to edit by bad spelling**

i <3 the palomar.

i also pull both the tag and main line to tighten. so far , ive only lost one fish (and an origonal floating rapala) and im sure it was my fault....man it was depressing.