Sign in to follow this  
wasabi_VA

Help me understand Fore Grip Length for spinning rods

OK, I understand Fore Grip Length refers to the section of handle above the spinning reel seat. I recently switched my fishing style to where I hold the rod and work my baits holding the rod with the fore grip area. Previously I think I held my rod with my reel seat in my hand and my fingers split above and below the reel. Now that I am using the fore grip area I'm noticing only a couple rods have a comfortable enough section. Some are too short.

Online I see most rods only have a 2" section and this is not enough. I've seen a few with maybe 2.5". is it odd to be holding the rod higher like I am now trying? It has really helped me with feeling bites and hook setting.

I hold my spinning reels/rods with the reel seat between my ring and middle finger.  This puts my hand it the right position to hold then line with my forefinger on casts and just feels more balanced than having it on top or below it.

I hold my spinning reels/rods with the reel seat between my ring and middle finger. This puts my hand it the right position to hold then line with my forefinger on casts and just feels more balanced than having it on top or below it.

Same here...The fore grip is never an issue.

8-)

I hold my spinning reels/rods with the reel seat between my ring and middle finger.

That's the norm, and also why the longer foregrips are not used as much anymore.

is it odd to be holding the rod higher like I am now trying? It has really helped me with feeling bites...

What you've done is effectively balanced the rod to neutral with hand position. That allows you to feel more subtle vibrations...

I think the reason it's not popular is that you create an awkward casting position and even on the retrieve your hands are split apart, which is a little unnatural.

I don't know what your budget is but you'd be a prime candidate to have a rod custom built to suit your style.

I hold my spinning reels/rods with the reel seat between my ring and middle finger. This puts my hand it the right position to hold then line with my forefinger on casts and just feels more balanced than having it on top or below it.

Same here...The fore grip is never an issue.

8-)

same here

the foregrip on my spinning rod is less than an inch...pretty much just enough for one finger

product_1159429092771.JPG

I learned the traditional way but over the years I have gradually gone to putting my pinky on the front of the reel barely on to the foregrip( I have small hands) when I have a sizeable fish on I slide up and use the foregrip for more leverage.

No right or wrong, just what's comfortable.

It still feels more natural to split the reel base with my fingers - after 30 years of fishing it is still tough to break. I guess my delimma is finding a decent rod with one that long. I have a Diawa that feels reel good just holding the fore grip but it has cheap guides so is not a good rod overall. I can't find a decent rod (~$50 to $60 for me) with the same length foregrip. I think it is like 3" and fills my average hand pretty good.

This is how I used to hold my spinning reels also but I have recently tried holding it with the reel between my pinky and ring finger. This has allowed me to put one finger on the bare blank of the rod above the foregrip but still allows my hand to be in the proper casting position. Felt a little awkward at first but it has worked out great.

I used to grip the reel seat between my middle and ring finger as well but ever since I got my new Cumara I feel more comfortable holding the reel seat between my pinky and ring finger or with my hand entirely in front of the reel seat. This allows me to hold the rod blank between my thumb and fore finger and I think that increases my ability to feel bites.

It all depends on the type of fishing I'm doing and how I hold the rod. If I'm doing alot of precision casting and skipping I will hold the rod with the reel between either my index and middle finger or my middle and ring finger. If I'm working a rock pile or something where precision casting isn't needed I have a couple rods I built that has only one 1/2" cork ring and is there just to taper the front of the reel seat to the blank and I will hold that so my pinky finger is about an inch from the reel and the majority of my hand is gripping the blank. I do this because it increases the sensitivity dramatically by holding more of the blank with my hand and it balances the rod without having to add any weight to the butt.