Sign in to follow this  
reddragon

need help new baitcaster purchase..

well ever since i got a new baitcaster my brother has been dying to get one himself.  At a local store where i live they are selling a Pflueger Trion for $99 i was wondering if anyone has this reel or has used this reel before.  I read some reviews online and someone was saying that the line guide after about 50 casts starts cutting the line is this true for anyone else.  My brothers budget is 100 for the reel, i've have advised him to get a new citica, but i think he is trying to save a few bucks.. another question i would ask too then is would you guys grab the citica for 120 or the trion for 99??  please give me some input thanks

I would get a Revo S... you can get it for 100 or a little over if you do some shopping around

I cant recommend a pflueger to anyone because of all of my problems with them. is it his first baitcaster? does he like the round reels better than low profile? if so i HIGHLY recommend either a c3 4600 or a c4 4600. but if he wants one under a $100 thats low profile i like my daiwa exelers, my megaforce, and my abu garcia silver max.

It is a good reel, but I do not think it is worth its $99 price anymore. If it matters, it does not fare well with lighter weights, such as 1/4 oz for a beginner.

The reel has never failed me and I'd put it on par with a Curado BSF (the old greenie), but I'd rather spend the extra $20 for a Citica E. Now if you can find one for $70, then that is a deal.

Here ya go:

http://www.deloscustomtackleshack.com/reels/shimanocitaca_200e.html

Oops! The Citica has been on sale for $99. I guess the sale is over.

There are new Citicas on ebay for $99 with free shipping. The buyer has very good ratings. I have ordered five or six reels off of ebay with in the past year and I haven't had any problems.

There are new Citicas on ebay for $99 with free shipping. The buyer has very good ratings. I have ordered five or six reels off of ebay with in the past year and I haven't had any problems.

This is the route I'd recommend.  Or even better you can get the Revo S for $85 shipped from reputable ebay dealers.

Since you asked about the Trions I can tell you It is the only baitcasrter I use. I have bought 6 of them total, I kept 4 and gave away 2. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THESE REELS >>>NADA!

I bought all but one used for 45 bucks right here on the flea market.

Sharbite got a couple off Ebay , used and now .ghotti. has to fix them as they had some damaged parts

The one new one I bought has needed nothing but cleaning and lubes,

I use my reels for at least 100 trips a year so I would say they get a decent amount of use.