Sign in to follow this  
The_Natural

Word on the Street is..

...Gary Loomis is back producing fishing rod blanks under the name of North Fork Composites.  This new company will produce blanks and factory rods.  I was told he would release something by the end of the summer.  With GLX graphite being light years ahead of its time when it was released in the early 90's....I can only imagine what Gary will produce using today's technology.  

Interesting.

Anyone else heard more?

8-)

Only hearing the same "talk" going around. Anyone think the press release about Loomis no longer selling blanks after year's end was a coincidence?

I'm saving a few dollars for later. :)

Interesting.

Anyone else heard more?

8-)

RW, I just called North Fork Composites in WA and the answering machine came on and said " Hi this is Gary Loomis........". He's back!!

Interesting.

Anyone else heard more?

8-)

RW, I just called North Fork Composites in WA and the answering machine came on and said " Hi this is Gary Loomis........". He's back!!

I couldn't find the number. If you can PM it to me, and it isn't too far, I'd be more than happy to "scope" it out and get the scoop. The only benefit of living in WA state.  ;D

Interesting.

Anyone else heard more?

8-)

I couldn't find the number. If you can PM it to me, and it isn't too far, I'd be more than happy to "scope" it out and get the scoop. The only benefit of living in WA state. ;D

PM coming. Anyways I was placing an order over the phone this morning at Tackle Warehouse and already Gary has called them about his new company. :)

spoke to my blank & component connections this am about these street rumors.

What I found out would only start some arguments, so all I'll say is

That's all they are rumors...

:)

Intrigue...

Just makes it that much more exciting!

8-)

I think it's good, if he does it.  What can it hurt??  He's creating jobs in a time when they are really needed.

I'm no detective, but that sounds like a confirmation.  

The question is not if the rumors are true, but how are they going to market the product without stepping out of legal bounds?

Intrigue...

Just makes it that much more exciting!

8-)

Intrigue???, come on you know better than that. This is 100% marketing ploys.Keeps the aura around the Loomis product and the rod builders and blank sellers keep the prices high this way.Intrigue is the last thing that would come to my mind, first thing would be HYPE, the new line :)

The word really rolled out when one of the wholesale only rod building suppliers sent out an email saying "Announcing . . . . . .

We will be a distributor for Gary Loomis's new blanks. Watch for a flyer very soon. "

That pretty much let the cat out of the bag. Of course plenty flew around about all that.

North Fork Composities is not a new company.

What gets interesting is to look at the defendant list on the trademark infringement lawsuit filed by G Loomis Inc (Shimano). Tells you a lot.

The rod manufacturing world is much smaller than many people realize.

The word really rolled out when one of the wholesale only rod building suppliers sent out an email saying "Announcing . . . . . .

We will be a distributor for Gary Loomis's new blanks. Watch for a flyer very soon. "

That pretty much let the cat out of the bag. Of course plenty flew around about all that.

North Fork Composities is not a new company.

What gets interesting is to look at the defendant list on the trademark infringement lawsuit filed by G Loomis Inc (Shimano). Tells you a lot.

The rod manufacturing world is much smaller than many people realize.

Yeah...I just heard about the lawsuit this morning. Shimano is ticked....real ticked. He is under contractual agreement to never sell or market under the Loomis name. The blanks and rods will bare the North Fork Composites name of course, but Shimano is contesting he is marketing the rods under his name. It would be near impossible to prove though, because Gary can say he will be designing blanks at North Fork all he wants. As long as Gary doesn't say they are 'Gary Loomis' blanks...he is fine. Distributors, retailers, and everyone else can say what they want.

wait, so ReelMech's guys say they are rumors, other sources say they are real. Anyone have any formal proof?(other than phone messages and distributor emails that people have "heard" about)

Just to add to the misinformation :)  will any of the other Loomis clan members with ATC experience move over as well :)

Dan -

The email sent by Merrick Tackle was real (announcing the blanks). Now they could have jumped the gun. Who knows there.

The lawsuit is real.

Link to lawsuit: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-cacdce/case_no-2:2008cv07197/case_id-429695/

There's a few other things going on as well, but I don't know of anything to back them up - so just rumors/gossip.