Sign in to follow this  
Gomer Pyle

Where to tie knot?

Just wandering if you guys use the split ring on hard baits to tie your knot to, or remove the split ring and tie the knot directly to the lure? :-/

If I remember right, the reason for tying to the split ring is so the bait can have a "free-er" movement. I think I read that somewhere.

I could be very wrong.

General rule of thumb for me. If the lure comes with the split ring, I will use it. If it doesn't, I will not add one.

The ones that come with a split ring, I imagine that the company put it there for a reason and that is why I keep them on if they come with one.

BTW, where are you wandering too?  ;) ;D

General rule of thumb for me. If the lure comes with the split ring, I will use it. If it doesn't, I will not add one.

The ones that come with a split ring, I imagine that the company put it there for a reason and that is why I keep them on if they come with one.

BTW, where are you wandering too? ;) ;D

LOL.  When I'm "wandering", I have no specific destination in mind.  If I did, it wouldn't be wandering.

Sorry.  The devil made me do it.

I leave the split ring on but you don't have to.  A loop knot tied to the lure has the same action as if it were tied to the ring.  I have had peacocks pull the rings apart.

I'm sure it's me, but when tying to a split ring, it's not uncommon for the strand of line to work its way into the coil.

Fumble fingered is me.

Murphy created his laws for folks like me.

I'm sure it's me, but when tying to a split ring, it's not uncommon for the strand of line to work its way into the coil.

Fumble fingered is me.

98% my knot just about slips into that slot too so you're not alone, no matter how careful I am. I wonder, I mean wander if oval spilt rings would reduce the chances of this occurrence.

Fumble fingered is me.

98% my knot just about slips into that slot too so you're not alone, no matter how careful I am. I wonder, I mean wander if oval spilt rings would reduce the chances of this occurrence.

Yup they sure do and if ur knot is going to the split depending on the ring it can cut your line some are really sharp

I double loop mine through the splitring, never had a problem, I usually tie a chinch knot, seems to work better than a palomar for me..?

Thanks for the reply guys. This board is a great resource, I'll no longer have to "wander" where to go to find wise counsel on the art of BASS fishing... ;)

Pyle

I've always removed the split rings and tie a plain snap on my line. Facilitates quick & easy lure changes and gives the lure plenty of freedom to act as it should. JMO.  ;)