Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyS

IS there such a thing

IS there such a thing as a bait cast reel that can be used for light weight tackle?

<likes to use light weight tackle but hates his baitcast when all it wants to do is birdnest  >;)

I dont know what you mean by light. i have a cheapo daiwa megaforce that throws a weightless 5" senko like a dream. and with a slight adjustment it will throw a small h&h or roadrunner just as good. 12lb suffix seige. ;D

by light weight tackle I mean a road runner or a rooster tail.

I can only go bank fishing ( no boat :'() and I have a navy blue diawa bait cast on an IM6 graphite rod from BPS. Every time I try and throw something light it just wants to bird nest.

Plus when I get a fish on, there is no fight. It just skips the fish across the top of the water. (mostly 1-3lbs. fish being caught)

Needless to say it is just overkill and I am looking for a reel a little more suited for the fishing I am able to do. 8-)

There are BC reels that handle light weights pretty well....  but they are expensive, by most standards.

I think you are better off (in the wallet and frustration level) by using spinning gear for light weight baits like those mentioned.

About the reel, you just need to take time and adjust the brakes. i start off with them too tight and throw hard, and loosen a little after every cast until i get it where i want it. but if its a fight you want get an ultra light with 4lb line and throw a roadrunner or beetlespin. one of my biggest was on that setup. 6lb bass on 4lb line. that was a rush.

IS there such a thing as a bait cast reel that can be used for light weight tackle?

Yes there is, actually there are several from where to choose:

Daiwa Presso

Daiwa Pixy

Daiwa Alphas ( regular, Itö, TypeF, R Edition )

Daiwa Sol

Shimano Chronarch 50/51 Mg

Shimano Curado 100/101 D

Shimano Calcutta TEGT 50

Shimano Conquest 50/51

Shimano Conquest 50/51S

Shimano Scorpion 1000/1001

Shimano Scorpion 1000/1001 Mg

The problem here is the price, most of them are 200+ bones ( unless you can find them in closeout ), from those the cheapest is the Scorpion.

Personally I like this puppy:

post-369-130162926422_thumb.jpg

It sounds to me that your rod is just too stiff for these baits.  What is the lure rating on that rod?

There's more to it than just the reel.  If you're using a lure lighter than the rod is designed for, it will not cast well.  The reel you have won't perform as well as one of the $200+ mentioned reels, but it will cast a rooster tail if placed on a rod designed to cast down to that weight.

In addition, with any of the reels listed you'll likely have to feather the spool with your thumb to prevent backlash on such a light lure.  Especially if there's any headwind.

Personally I'd recommend taking a light spinning outfit with you to throw the lighter lures like this.  By taking 2 set-ups you can have 2 types of lures tied on, make further casts with 1/8 oz & less lures, and enjoy fighting smaller fish.

Yes there is, actually there are several from where to choose:

Daiwa Presso

Daiwa Pixy

Daiwa Alphas ( regular, Itö, TypeF, R Edition )

Daiwa Sol

Shimano Chronarch 50/51 Mg

Shimano Curado 100/101 D

Shimano Calcutta TEGT 50

Shimano Conquest 50/51

Shimano Conquest 50/51S

Shimano Scorpion 1000/1001

Shimano Scorpion 1000/1001 Mg

The problem here is the price, most of them are 200+ bones ( unless you can find them in closeout ), from those the cheapest is the Scorpion.

Personally I like this puppy:

I own the Curado 100D and use it for all my lightweight BC applications.  I have had this reel paired with a Powell 703CB rod and currently have it paired with a Med-Heavy Jig rod rated from 3/8 to 1-1/2oz.  I have thrown lures down to 1/4 oz with zero problems and have even thrown 1/8oz kastmasters with VERY little birds nest.  I have thrown this reel with either 12# pline CX or 50# suffix braid with 8-20# leader.  Now with the new Curado 200E out, you can find the 100D pretty cheap.  I know i've been seeing some used ones going for $100 bucks.

THanks for the info fellas

<off to cruise ebay 8-)

Hey AnthonyS,

No need to go on a buying spree

Do just a little slow reading...

http://www.***/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

Tight Lines!!!!  

I have a chronarch 51mg and it casts a 1/8oz rooster tail pretty well. For 1/16oz I would use a small spinning reel. I also have a daiwa alphas (Japanese version of daiwa sol), but I think the chronarch mg is better for very light lures.

Yeah i read that article. I dont have any issues throwing the reel on a larger heavier luer. It is only when I am using the lighter weight stuff. That and the gear ratio is a little overkill for the fish I catching.

I wish I had larger fish to justify it  ;)

The Shimano Citica E will throw a 1/16th oz crappie jig with no backlash. I'd still go with spinning gear.

Daiwa Sol and Chronarch 50MG are the best BC reels Ive used for light stuff, but I use spinning gear for light presentations in most cases these days.

Yeah i read that article. I dont have any issues throwing the reel on a larger heavier luer. It is only when I am using the lighter weight stuff.
But when you switch off to a lighter lure are you re-adjusting the free spool and braking on the reel?.....Also is the rod rated for light line/lures?
That and the gear ratio is a little overkill for the fish I catching. I wish I had larger fish to justify it
Not really, what do you expect going after small fish with heavy BC gear (even trying to throw lighter baits it is still considered heavy gear).. If your trying to have more fun catching the small fish you say you have, then I would switch from BC gear to a butt load lighter spinning gear...

I personally get a kick out of bass fishing with ultra lite spinning gear.. Haven't caught any quality northern strain black bass that I would say put up a fight (on BC gear), since I left the west coast and the big Florida strains out there...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

Yes I readjust the freespool and brake on the real when I change lures. I always do this because this is my only rod.

But after further googling information on the real and rod the rod has a 3/8oz. min. on the lure : /

The problem is just too much rod and reel for the type of fishing I am doing.

So I went to cabelas and picked up a Shakespear Tempest reel with a ProGuide IM6 Rod for 4-10lb line and 1/8-1/2oz. Lures.

I also got a ProGuide IM6 Rod for 8-17lb line with 1/4-5/8oz. lures for the future light weight BC reel in the future.

I really liked the look of the rods and they are great priced. I hope they perform as well as expected. ;)

AnthonyS,

Yup just a little to much back bone.

Should have a ball with the new setup.....

Tight Lines!!!

Hey guys, new to the site, but I do use light stuff like 1/8 oz spinnerbaits and similar weight dropshot rigs.  My LW combo is a 6' 9" St Croix LTB ML with a Curado 200E7 and 8lb powerpro.  Casts about anything down to 1/16 oz very well.

Matt

Iowa Matt   to the site...

One of my favorite lite rods is a custom 7'6" build on a Avid 3S76MLXF blank, with a BPS MLE25F mounted...

Tight Lines!!!