Sign in to follow this  
flechero

upgrade and tune old abu or replace?

I was planning to tune up, re-gear and re-bearing an older 4600 power 4, for cranking. Well I found some other parts options at Japan tackle... Is there much benefit from any of the first 3 items on this page?

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Tuning_brake_system.htm

(I was already placing an order with Japan Tackle so it's no extra cost to add an item or two.)

So now I can't decide if I want to spend $100 (after shipping & labor) upgrading this reel or just buy something new.

What would you do? I'm curious about 2 things- the parts as well as your opinion on replacing a reel or fixing one up.

if its gonna cost you 100 bucks for all that i would probably go ahead and just replace it.. to many good reels out there in the 100-200 dollar range

I don't know about the JT parts, but I've installed this setup: http://hatterasoutfitters.com/.  Its a great upgrade.

I do not know about upgrading but I can tell you I bought a clunker ABU, for literally pennies and Reel Mech got it to work better than a new one. I would ask him, he works pure magic on ABU's.The whole repair and cleaning came to just around 20 bucks and he got it right the first time!

I do not know about upgrading but I can tell you I bought a clunker ABU, for literally pennies and Reel Mech got it to work better than a new one. I would ask him, he works pure magic on ABU's.The whole repair and cleaning came to just around 20 bucks and he got it right the first time!

I was going to send it to him anyway... the reel isn't bad, it's been in intermittent service for 15+ years, with a higher set of gears in it. I just figured with the upgrades, it might perform like some of the newer reels. (I could re-gear it and fish it fine, but that solution lacks the sex appeal of upgrades) I know the logical thing would be to retire it but since I won't use it often, I hate to buy a new reel and let it gather dust most of the year.

I have a number of 4600 C4 and 4600 C3 that have been upgraded to C5 specs., that and good Abec 7 spool bearings make for one fine reel.

I think I might get a couple out of storage and use them this weekend. Also change the brake blocks to Blue for light weight baits.

I was going to send it to him anyway... the reel isn't bad, it's been in intermittent service for 15+ years, with a higher set of gears in it. I just figured with the upgrades, it might perform like some of the newer reels. (I could re-gear it and fish it fine, but that solution lacks the sex appeal of upgrades) I know the logical thing would be to retire it but since I won't use it often, I hate to buy a new reel and let it gather dust most of the year.

I would be interested in the high speed gearset your replacing if it is still usable. They were very loud, but I'll put up with the noise.

it will make a bulletproof swimbait reel. you might as well do the upgrade.

IMO, the mark you're shooting for would be Calcutta performance out of that ABU.  I'd say you'd be in the range with all the goodies shown though I don't know that I'd add the mag brake.  The 4 pin centrifugal add on looks interesting though.  At $100 you're still way under a new Calcutta.