Sign in to follow this  
Zaraspooker

Broke 2 Falcon rods yesterday...

Was fishing a small pond yesterday with lots of matted grass. Was popping a jig through the grass like I always have before and the tip of one of my Falcon rods snapped off. This was a Med/Heavy 6'6" original Falcon rod. The jig wasn't stuck and I didn't pop it any harder than I normally would. I thought it was really weird, I was kinda ticked that it happened like that but I picked up my other Falcon and kept fishing. The other Falcon rod is a 6' medium action original. I was fishing a spinner bait and I got caught on some grass on the shore right in front of me. I gave it a small pop (being careful because of what had just happened) and the tip of this rod snapped off too.

These rods were bought from the same place at the same time one week prior. They snapped within 5 minutes of each other. I have been fishing for years and I have never broken a rod. If it was just 1 rod, I wouldn't think nothing of it, but it was both rods. Does this sound like any kind of defect in the rod? Would this be something that MIGHT be covered under Falcon's warranty? The reason I ask here first is because someone might have some experience that I should know about before I call Falcon and try to convince them that it was not misuse. I paid $80 for each rod, so I would like to get them replaced if possible.

Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact Falcon and begin the warranty process - they shouldn't break under normal fishing conditions.  Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

These rods were bought from the same place at the same time one week prior.

That might suggest that they were dinged in the shipping process, or that you had them together when something dinged them...  especially if they broke in the same spot.

More than likely, that's a warranty.  (as long as your story is factual)

I am reading on texas fishing forums and people are saying that Academy (where I bought the rods) will take them back without a receipt no questions asked. I guess I will try that first. Anyone heard similar stories about Academy?

How long ya had um im thinking maybe u might have hit um or caught them in something prior since both broke same time and place on each rod ,It dont take much one of the cons of graphite

Had them both about a week. I am thinking I hit them on something, no reason for them to break like that unless they were already weak from something. I am going to try to take them back to Academy today after work. A lot of people are saying that they will replace your fishing gear with no questions asked without a receipt.

I am reading on texas fishing forums and people are saying that Academy (where I bought the rods) will take them back without a receipt no questions asked. I guess I will try that first. Anyone heard similar stories about Academy?
YES, I broke a American Rodsmith that I bought from there, and they replaced it no questions asked.

Had them both about a week. I am thinking I hit them on something, no reason for them to break like that unless they were already weak from something. I am going to try to take them back to Academy today after work. A lot of people are saying that they will replace your fishing gear with no questions asked without a receipt.

You have to realize at academy, everybody and there granny is grabbing those rods bending them, shaking them around,hitting them on things and dropping them.. I can't tell you how many ive watched my dad break in that store. Little kids too. They can get pretty beat up in a store like that. Especially around children.

You have to realize at academy, everybody and there granny is grabbing those rods bending them, shaking them around,hitting them on things and dropping them.. I can't tell you how many ive watched my dad break in that store. Little kids too. They can get pretty beat up in a store like that. Especially around children.

You ain't kidding....

I've seen store clerks at Cabela's take a rod and bend it on the floor.I thought to myself "Man,that can't be good for their rods".I guess he was trying to show the stiffness/action to somebody.Didn't make any sense to me to be honest.

You ain't kidding....

I've seen store clerks at Cabela's take a rod and bend it on the floor.I thought to myself "Man,that can't be good for their rods".I guess he was trying to show the stiffness/action to somebody.Didn't make any sense to me to be honest.

I've seen them do the same thing at Gander Mountain and Dick's.  A lot of the employee's there don't really care.  I saw an employee at Gander Mountain mount a LH BC reel backwards with the eye pointing toward the cork because the lady said her husband wanted the retrieve on the right...

You ain't kidding....

i do that. if im dropping a chunk of cash on a rod id like to know if the guides are on the spline of the rod or even close.

You ain't kidding....

I've seen them do the same thing at Gander Mountain and Dick's. A lot of the employee's there don't really care. I saw an employee at Gander Mountain mount a LH BC reel backwards with the eye pointing toward the cork because the lady said her husband wanted the retrieve on the right...

skunked_again,Care to explain that to me?How does that work? Just never seen that done before like that.

Zara, I dont know if you have returned your rods yet, but I work at academy and can tell you that you can take both rods back without a receipt as long as you have your ID on you and either get store credit and exchange them with no problem at all.

Zara, I dont know if you have returned your rods yet, but I work at academy and can tell you that you can take both rods back without a receipt as long as you have your ID on you and either get store credit and exchange them with no problem at all.

Took them back yesterday after work. They replaced them no questions asked. The guy in line behind me laughed when I told the girl behind the counter that they both broke the first time I used them. He probably thought I shut them in a door or something. Question for you, what stops people from taking back stuff that is years old and getting a store credit for an upgrade?

Honestly, nothing, other than the fact that most stuff isnt stocked in the store in that long, just about 6 months and if the store doesnt stock it they dont take the return