Sign in to follow this  
dan1942

New Curado

Ok I am ready to pick up a second reel and rod.  I currently have a

Shimano Sahara 2500 FD and BPS XPS Extreme 6.6 MH for my spinning setup and wanted to go with a new baitcaster setup as well.

I was thinking about getting the

Curado 201E7

St.croix Mojo

not sure which size and action I need something that I can use for most baits besides light plastics which I have the spinning setup for. Let me know if you have any suggestions I am only looking at spending around 250 for everything

Thanks!

Dan

I just picked up a Curado 201E7 today. I'm in love with it.

I am curious what the Curado users recommend in gear ratio since it only comes in 5:1 or 7:1. For a plastics setup, that is.

For the Mojo, I'd recommend the Med Fast, or the MH Fast if you are power guy or will be regularly throwing 1/2 oz and up baits.

The Curado E7 is sweet. I have one mounted on a Mojo 7' MF and it's a nice combo. I  believe the rod is rated for 1/4 to 5/8 oz lures. I've thrown both spinnerbaits and worms on it and like the action.

Since I utterly lack thepatience involved with soft plastics, I'm thinking the 7:0 gear ratio will be just fine with my spinnerbaits. ;)

Ever slowroll your spinnerbaits..?

Since I utterly lack thepatience involved with soft plastics, I'm thinking the 7:0 gear ratio will be just fine with my spinnerbaits. ;)

Do you all think the Curado 201e7 would have any problems casting a 5inch senko Wacky rigged??

None at all,  a 5" senko weighs more than a lot of other baits and lure you'll use.  

Someone needs to weigh one on a good scale...  this comes up enough that it should be a number we can quote.  

OK thanks for the reply!!  I fish mostly small farm pounds that are pretty shallow so I use a lot of plastics.  It would be good to know that I can use the curado for that as well.

Thanks again!

I just tossed a 5" Senko on my postal scale and it read 0.4 oz which is what about 3/8 oz plus the weight of a hook so should be no problem.

Do you all think the Curado 201e7 would have any problems casting a 5inch senko Wacky rigged??

None at all, a 5" senko weighs more than a lot of other baits and lure you'll use.

Someone needs to weigh one on a good scale... this comes up enough that it should be a number we can quote.

It is actually possible to (gasp) turn the handle slower, sure you might not get the power of a 5:0 but a 7:0 is a lot more versatile IMO.

I have a curado 7:1 that I use for plastics and absolutely love it.  When throwing lighter baits I find that the rod is much more important then the reel.  A rod with a nice fast tip really makes throwing lighter baits easy.  I never had problems throwing weightless senkos.  I find them to be plenty heavy.  

I do indeed. I like single bladed spinners for this and if I'm feeling crazy, I might even use a chatterbait. ;)