Sign in to follow this  
ottawa

Core 50 Mg that much better than the Curado?

OK everyone seems to be raving about the new core. Of course comparisons would be made with the Steez as they should be similar. Still as a relatively new bass fisherman, enjoying using the Curado, would the Core be THAT much better? Is the price difference worth it?

I have both and the New core is definetly at a different level then the curado.  I love the size and weight.  I do really like the curado but I feel that the curado is more of a mid-range reel and the New core would fall in the high-end range.  I ordered some new Boca Orange seal bearings for the curado so I am curious to see how much they improve it.

Dan

It's really an unfair comparison on many different levels.  First off - the Core 50 retails at $369.99 and the Curado E at $179.99...  For literally more than DOUBLE the MSRP, it should be much more refined, lighter, etc.  Practically speaking - it would depend on what you want the reel to do... if I wanted a carolina rig, big football jig, swimbait reel, I'd rather be using the Curado E - but if I wanted to pitch 3/8 oz. jigs, or even 1/4 oz jigs, lighter texas rigs, etc... I'd go with the Core 50.  The Aldebaran is the "same" reel, just JDM, and it is easily one of the best reels Shimano has produced IMHO.  The Curado E is the best performing reel in its price range I've ever used as well.  Fortunately, we have both.  BTW - dan - I think you'll like what the upgraded spool bearings do to the Curado - I've been using Big Green Fish ABEC 7 SS bearings in mine and LOVE them - especially for the price! 8-)

It's really an unfair comparison on many different levels. First off - the Core 50 retails at $369.99 and the Curado E at $179.99... For literally more than DOUBLE the MSRP, it should be much more refined, lighter, etc. Practically speaking - it would depend on what you want the reel to do... if I wanted a carolina rig, big football jig, swimbait reel, I'd rather be using the Curado E - but if I wanted to pitch 3/8 oz. jigs, or even 1/4 oz jigs, lighter texas rigs, etc... I'd go with the Core 50. The Aldebaran is the "same" reel, just JDM, and it is easily one of the best reels Shimano has produced IMHO. The Curado E is the best performing reel in its price range I've ever used as well. Fortunately, we have both. BTW - dan - I think you'll like what the upgraded spool bearings do to the Curado - I've been using Big Green Fish ABEC 7 SS bearings in mine and LOVE them - especially for the price! 8-)

Yeah, not to get too far off topic, but those Big Green Fish ABEC7's are the best bearings I have used.. and I've used literally everything.  I just hopes he keeps the price down on them! They can't be beat.  

I agree with Bronze on this one.  I just dont own a Core yet but will shortly.  Im a big Daiwa fan, but id rather go with the Core over the Steez.  Cant wait to get that thing in my hands. ;D

I agree with Bronze on this one. I just dont own a Core yet but will shortly. Im a big Daiwa fan, but id rather go with the Core over the Steez. Cant wait to get that thing in my hands. ;D

Me either.  Mine will be here Wednesday.

The new Core 50 MG is the US version of the jdm Aldebaran.  Awesome reel, but it's no Steez.  I'd say they complement each other very well though.  The 50 is great for smaller baits.

The new Core 50 MG is the US version of the jdm Aldebaran. Awesome reel, but it's no Steez. I'd say they complement each other very well though. The 50 is great for smaller baits.

IMHO, The Core 50 is great for any bait, its built just as tough as the rest of the Shimano reels built for bass fishing.

Just because it weighs less doesnt mean it cant handle heavy action.

I would never under esitmate the toughness of my core 50.

Ive already cranked in 5#'ders with it and was as smooth as my Core 100 and probably any other Shimano BC reel.

The new Core 50 MG is the US version of the jdm Aldebaran. Awesome reel, but it's no Steez. I'd say they complement each other very well though. The 50 is great for smaller baits.

x2

IMHO, The Core 50 is great for any bait, its built just as tough as the rest of the Shimano reels built for bass fishing.

Just because it weighs less doesnt mean it cant handle heavy action.

I would never under esitmate the toughness of my core 50.

Ive already cranked in 5#'ders with it and was as smooth as my Core 100 and probably any other Shimano BC reel.

I have the old Core 100, as well as the Aldebaran and more than a few Steez reels.  The Core 100 never gets used.  The Aldebaran gets plenty of use but honestly the ONE charachteristic of all shimano baitcasters that drives me nuts is that little bit of wiggle in the handle that they won't get rid of.  I'm sure it's not that they can't, as my 200DC does not really have any back play at all.

I would say that the best comparison for the Core 50/ Aldebaran would be the Daiwa Pixy.  Now if you put those reel shead to head, a tuned Pixzilla will eat an Aldebaran/Core 50 for lunch.  

Here is apicture of my modded Daiwa Pixy.

RQCFJ-DSC01387.JPG

This is my modded Aldebaran.

DSC02899.JPG

Ive noticed the core 50 has less play in the handle and smoother operating than the core 100 but the wiggle is still there. By contrast my steez are as tight as a drum.

Maybe that's why my core 50 casts farther than my steez, its not so "up tight". ;D

Ive noticed the core 50 has less play in the handle and smoother operating than the core 100 but the wiggle is still there. By contrast my steez are as tight as a drum.

Maybe that's why my core 50 casts farther than my steez, its not so "up tight". ;D

My Core 100's out casted my Steez reels by 5-10% in some areas, but I feel it is solely due to their centrifugal brakes versus the magnetic brakes on the Daiwas. I like the centrifugals for distance on a normal weight range of baits, but for ultralight baits, magforce V is still the king.

sorry its not robert, my parents doomed me 47 years ago by naming me bobby (I'm from the south)

sorry again, I dont have the flex-lite series. I use the SVF Graphite rod, model#STZ601MFBA, cause its the only way I could get a 6' rod.

I love my steez rods and actually mounted a core 50 on one of them for a day and Im almost embarrassed to say it was more enjoyable than with my steez reel on it. However, its real hard to beat my core 50 on my loomis GLX.

The more I use my core 50 and loomis GLX it almost makes me regret buying my steez reels and rods.

I have the old Core 100, as well as the Aldebaran and more than a few Steez reels. The Core 100 never gets used. The Aldebaran gets plenty of use but honestly the ONE charachteristic of all shimano baitcasters that drives me nuts is that little bit of wiggle in the handle that they won't get rid of. I'm sure it's not that they can't, as my 200DC does not really have any back play at all.

I would say that the best comparison for the Core 50/ Aldebaran would be the Daiwa Pixy. Now if you put those reel shead to head, a tuned Pixzilla will eat an Aldebaran/Core 50 for lunch.

Honestly, the fractional backplay in many of the Shimano reels doesn't bother me a bit... don't sweat the small stuff, right? ;)  I have a different take though on that comparison.  Head to head with what presentations exactly?  The Aldebaran is a much more powerful reel than the Pixy and/or the supertuned Pixy (PixZilla).  It's available in a higher speed (7:1) with HEG which sets it apart as well.  I will agree that if we're talking about throwing a 1/16 oz head with a 2" grub, sure - the pixzilla is going to win out.  If were talking about casting a 1/2 oz. jig, tossing buzzbaits or spinnerbaits, the Aldebaran is the way to go for overall performance.  It's simply a much more versatile reel than the Pixzilla - and don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pixzillas!  

I've had the Steez reels - while I think they are very nice, I would pick and Aldebaran MG7 over any model steez - and in fact, have sold/traded more than one Steez in favor of them...  The best Steez to me was the 100SHA...  

A little off topic, but is that a flex-lite steez robert? I have the opportunity to purchase a couple, and was curious what you thought of them.

It's actually the JDM Blitz. I do believe they have a flex-lite US version of the rod now. Great rod for smaller crank baits. As a model range, hard to go wrong with Steez pal. :)

I have the old Core 100, as well as the Aldebaran and more than a few Steez reels.  The Core 100 never gets used.  The Aldebaran gets plenty of use but honestly the ONE charachteristic of all shimano baitcasters that drives me nuts is that little bit of wiggle in the handle that they won't get rid of.  I'm sure it's not that they can't, as my 200DC does not really have any back play at all.

I would say that the best comparison for the Core 50/ Aldebaran would be the Daiwa Pixy.  Now if you put those reel shead to head, a tuned Pixzilla will eat an Aldebaran/Core 50 for lunch.  

Honestly, the fractional backplay in many of the Shimano reels doesn't bother me a bit... don't sweat the small stuff, right? ;)  I have a different take though on that comparison.  Head to head with what presentations exactly?  The Aldebaran is a much more powerful reel than the Pixy and/or the supertuned Pixy (PixZilla).  It's available in a higher speed (7:1) with HEG which sets it apart as well.  I will agree that if we're talking about throwing a 1/16 oz head with a 2" grub, sure - the pixzilla is going to win out.  If were talking about casting a 1/2 oz. jig, tossing buzzbaits or spinnerbaits, the Aldebaran is the way to go for overall performance.  It's simply a much more versatile reel than the Pixzilla - and don't get me wrong, I LOVE my pixzillas!  

I've had the Steez reels - while I think they are very nice, I would pick and Aldebaran MG7 over any model steez - and in fact, have sold/traded more than one Steez in favor of them...  The best Steez to me was the 100SHA...  

yes, the Aldebaran comes in two different speeds.  It's lighter, newer, and feels GREAT in the hand because of the ultra-low profile.  I personally feel that it ranges between the Pixzilla and the Steez.

Steez 100HSA is an awesome reel for sure.  To me the Steez line of reels just feel more solid.  

The beauty of choice.  8-)