Sign in to follow this  
catchbig0bass

Need a new rod

Hey guys need to get another casting rod. Looking to mostly be throwing soft plastics and such. Want something cheap.

what do you guys think of the Shimano Voltaeus lineup. I was looking into either the M or MH 6' rods. Wondering if maybe the MH would give me a little more sensitivity than the M would not sure tho.

Icast just did a review on them and loved them and said there nearly un-breakable. Heck they even ran one over with a car and slammed it in car doors without it breaking.

This one would be for primarily the GF, she has already broken 4 rods this yr alone due to misuse. Thats why I have the st croix and she usually gets the wall mary 20$ sticks. However I would like to have one that I too enjoy.

Anyone have any thoughts.

theres a million threads on this topic.

but, since im here ill suggest the berkley cherrywood.

Check out the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series. Split grip, super light but with a nice backbone. I picked one up this weekend for $40 bucks and it feels 10x nicer than my St Croixs and Shimanos.

Check out the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series.

I looked at these this weekend.  These are some friggin' nice looking and well finished rods.  The end-cap on the grips is a nice touch.  

I looked at these this weekend. These are some friggin' nice looking and well finished rods. The end-cap on the grips is a nice touch.

I bought one as a back-up great rod for the money IMO

I looked at these this weekend. These are some friggin' nice looking and well finished rods. The end-cap on the grips is a nice touch.

I bought one as a back-up great rod for the money IMO

I fourth this....the original Lightening rod is good too

Since you need the durability and the Volteaous seems to be Shimano's answer to the Ugly Stick, the voltaeous looks like it will suit your needs and hers.

The other rods recommended are fine I believe, but they might not have the durability that you are also seeking.

"This one would be for primarily the GF, she has already broken 4 rods this yr alone due to misuse." Ouch!  ;D

My vote is for the Ugly Stick Lite Pro (Wall-Mart Exclusive) It's not ugly, Cork handles, Fuji reel seat, Fuji, Insert Guides, No see through tip. Good looking blue thread wrap.. 36 bucks, 5 year Warranty and it's wal-mart they take back everything.... Heck if she breaks this stick from misuse and you can't get it replaced for free then I'll buy you a new one

My vote is for the Ugly Stick Lite Pro (Wall-Mart Exclusive) It's not ugly, Cork handles, Fuji reel seat, Fuji, Insert Guides, No see through tip. Good looking blue thread wrap.. 36 bucks, 5 year Warranty and it's wal-mart they take back everything.... Heck if she breaks this stick from misuse and you can't get it replaced for free then I'll buy you a new one

Haha... I know this subject has been beaten to death but my main question I would say is anyone have any experience with these new shimano rods. They sound like a real nice stick. And I would have to say my other option I was going to go with was an ugly stick.

Yes 4 rods this year. 2 were just old spinning, 1 quantum torsion and 1 rhino rod. Yes all cheapies but still if bought them all together would equal probably the price of my mojo bass. Hell she was using my mojo last night for a little bit talk about nerve wrecking.

I handled the new Shimano Voltaeus at my local Sports Authority yesterday and was unimpressed. It's just as whippy as a standard Ugly Stick, tip-heavy in the 6'6" M spinning configuration, and is sporting cheap-looking all-metal guides similar to the ones Berkley uses on their Cherrywood and Lightning Rods. They're probably fine for general use...but I just don't like them.

I'm a Shimano fan, but I'd pass on this one. I think the Convergence is a better option in that price range. The Ugly Stick Lite or Lite Pro would also be a good choice if you're looking for a better balance between durability and sensitivity.

I handled the new Shimano Voltaeus at my local Sports Authority yesterday and was unimpressed. It's just as whippy as a standard Ugly Stick, tip-heavy in the 6'6" M spinning configuration, and is sporting cheap-looking all-metal guides similar to the ones Berkley uses on their Cherrywood and Lightning Rods. They're probably fine for general use...but I just don't like them.

I'm a Shimano fan, but I'd pass on this one. I think the Convergence is a better option in that price range. The Ugly Stick Lite or Lite Pro would also be a good choice if you're looking for a better balance between durability and sensitivity.

yeah i took a look at them too therey are like pool cues with metel guides taped to them... i was unimpressed .. i'mtellin ya the Lite pro is the way to go .. got to be the best rod out there for under 40 bucks

oh and those torsion rods are like match sticks.. broke two of them on the hook set... only rod i have ever broke in my life... I didn't know you could break a rhino. lol

i'm tellin ya the lite pro is a great stick for new folks...and the ugly stick lite doesn't even compare to the pro and i think the pro is cheaper

Check out the Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series. Split grip, super light but with a nice backbone. I picked one up this weekend for $40 bucks and it feels 10x nicer than my St Croixs and Shimanos.

you gotta be kidding...a sub $40 cheap rod better then a croix or shimano rod....uhhh aint gonna happen.what croixs are you fishing that a low-end rod is better than? lets see a nice croix legend ($200 and up) or a $40 berkley? aint rocket science. :;) ::) ::) ::) but my vote is for a housebrand rod if your looking to save money.

Diawa's Procyons are nice rods for the money, about 45-50 bucks, I've purchased two this year and really like them for their purpose, one is my spinner bait rod and the other my soft weightless plastics like senkos.  Good luck

Wait for the vendetta.

a $90 rod to a proven rod breaker?

Just get a mojo, the posters on here say they suck. Do it right.

No one said they suck some people just think there are better rods out there for the money

I already have 1 mojo. I love it. contrary to what everyone else says I also found it interesting this thing only weighs 3.7oz which is a heck of a lot lighter than most rods around this range.

However im all set getting another one bc it comes down to this. Me and the gf work at the same place. I have my truck with tackle and rods she has her bike so her rods are at her house. She says hun can i use one of urs I say why not have at it. After breaking 4 rods this yr to stupididy and misuse would you give her a mojo?

Well, if you plan to keep her, help her. Gentle instruction and

thoughtful direction goes a long way. After the second rod, it's

kinda your fault for not getting a little more involved. When I fish

with newbies, I don't fish.

I already have 1 mojo. I love it. contrary to what everyone else says I also found it interesting this thing only weighs 3.7oz which is a heck of a lot lighter than most rods around this range.

However im all set getting another one bc it comes down to this. Me and the gf work at the same place. I have my truck with tackle and rods she has her bike so her rods are at her house. She says hun can i use one of urs I say why not have at it. After breaking 4 rods this yr to stupididy and misuse would you give her a mojo?

there not that light... only the 6'6 med is

MBC66MF       6'6" M Fast 1 10 - 17 1/4 - 5/8             3.7oz 2 $90

MBC66MHF      6'6" MH Fast 1 12 - 20 3/8 - 1             4.1oz 2 $90

MBC70MF       7' M Fast 1 10 - 17 1/4 - 5/8             4.2oz 2 $90

MBC70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 12 - 20 3/8 - 1                   4.6oz 3 $90

MBC70MHM 7' MH Mod. 1 10 - 20 3/8 - 1             4.0oz 2 $90

MBC70HF       7' H Fast 1 14 - 25 3/8 - 11/2             5.3oz 3 $100

MBC76MHMF 7'6" MH Mod. Fast 1 12 - 25 3/8 - 11/4 5.4oz 4 $110

MBC79HF       7'9' H Fast 1 14 - 30 1 - 4                   6.4oz 5 $120

MBC711HMF 7'11" H Mod. Fast 1 14 - 30 1/2-2       5.3oz 4 $120

straight from their web site...

After breaking 4 rods this yr to stupididy and misuse would you give her a mojo?

Wimmen don't come cheap.

Ya as for the mojo I have the 6'6 M. So i guess i got the lighter one of em all.

RoadWarrier I hear what your saying. A lot of times its just her handling the rods in and out of vehicles, shes rather careless with all of her stuff. Thats why I was just hoping to get something indestructable haha. Perhaps UglyStick is the way to go.  She has been fishing with me all year and does pretty well. She kinda rather just fish her own way and gets mad at me giving her instructions. However when I do and she takes them in and hooks into something shes like ahhhhh.

Women can't live with em, def can't live without em.

Well, if you plan to keep her, help her. Gentle instruction and

thoughtful direction goes a long way. After the second rod, it's

kinda your fault for not getting a little more involved. When I fish

with newbies, I don't fish.

x2..that and the lil kiddies,weeeeeeeee bobber fishing