Sign in to follow this  
vatech

Criteria and methods of judging rods

Price, cosmetics, sensativity, features.... If you were to develop a set of criteria for judging how good a rod is what categories would you include? Then following up, how would you test for performance in those categories?

When/if you go into a store to purchase a new rod, what kinds of little tricks do you have for testing to see if you like that rod?

Well, if your are not an engineer or seasoned rod maker,

your best bet might be relying on the reputation of the

manufacturer. Otherwise, considerations would be:

design, engineering and craftsmanship; strength and

sensitivity of the blank; balance; power & action rating;

components including guides, reel seat and handle; and

of course, price!

For me aesthetics are important, too. Bling-bling is not my

deal.

8-)

Price, cosmetics, sensativity, features....

Then following up, how would you test for performance in those categories?

1. open wallet, look inside. If you have the cash, you passed the test. ;D

Sorry, I had to. :)

back on topic... Everyone's methods will be different and probably a lot to type out. What are you looking for and maybe we can better help you with some specific recommendations and info.

in general, bring your reel with you and see if you like the feel of them together.  I can't tell you how to tell if you'll like the rod, it's not a science...  I can pick one up and flex it at a few different places and tell you if I'll like it and what I'll like it for... but that came from many years of trial and error.

As for sensitivity, I used to pick a smooth surface, and slowly & with very light pressure rub to tip top across it and see what I feel. The smoother the surface the better to compare multiple rods.  Linoleum tile or glass works well most times.   A rough surface or the old throat trick aren't any help because a broom stick will transmit that kind of vibration.  

Well, if your are not an engineer or seasoned rod maker,

your best bet might be relying on the reputation of the

manufacturer. Otherwise, considerations would be:

design, engineering and craftsmanship; strength and

sensitivity of the blank; balance; power & action rating;

components including guides, reel seat and handle; and

of course, price!

For me aesthetics are important, too. Bling-bling is not my

deal.

8-)

Aw come on...I've got some electric blue foregrip covers with your name on them  8-)

IMG_0615.jpg

Hey Natural, can you get those covers in black or dark green ?  8-)

Regarding rods, I believe if it feels good with the reel you intend to use and when you are fishing AND you can afford it, then its the right rod.  

Its always a plus if you buy if from somewhere that will take it back if you dont like it OR if you know someone that has the rod you are interested in maybe they will let you try it.

Before entering the marketplace, you need to know exactly what you want, and accept no substitute.

One of the main considerations is blank latitude (lure-weight range <> line-weight range).

Aesthetics can be a smokescreen that cause us to overlook important features like 'handle length'.

A friend of mine put an expensive rod in my hand and asked me my opinion. I handed it right back to him,

and said the handle is too short. The butt didn't even reach my forearm muscle, in a word the rod was "useless".

Roger

Hey Natural, can you get those covers in black or dark green ? 8-)

Regarding rods, I believe if it feels good with the reel you intend to use and when you are fishing AND you can afford it, then its the right rod.

Its always a plus if you buy if from somewhere that will take it back if you dont like it OR if you know someone that has the rod you are interested in maybe they will let you try it.

You can get black, but I don't know of a dark green.  It's just large diameter heat shrink tubing.  I used to put gray on my BCR's, and it looked awesome.  

I go to my local tackle shop and the small staff there are experts with lots of years of experience, from freshwater bass to offshore swordfish. Many charter captains and guides go in there. Luckily a wide variety with prices that are generally better places like Dicks or BPS. Tell them what I am looking for and what the rod is going to be used for, aesthetics are secondary, performance 1st for me.

I am fussy about about butt length and we test all rods to find the bending point I want and my own reel always gets mounted, not to mention if I don't like the rod I can take it back. I will never buy a rod on line.

Also with a store like that almost always there are people in there with top notch advice on locations, the hot bite and bait.

I go to my local tackle shop and the small staff there are experts with lots of years of experience, from freshwater bass to offshore swordfish. Many charter captains and guides go in there. Luckily a wide variety with prices that are generally better places like Dicks or BPS. Tell them what I am looking for and what the rod is going to be used for, aesthetics are secondary, performance 1st for me.

I am fussy about about butt length and we test all rods to find the bending point I want and my own reel always gets mounted, not to mention if I don't like the rod I can take it back. I will never buy a rod on line.

Also with a store like that almost always there are people in there with top notch advice on locations, the hot bite and bait.

Rear grip length is important to me as well, only because it directly affects balance.  If I see a 7' split grip...it better have at least a 10" handle.  Anything shorter seems to make the rod tip-heavy.  

Thanks for the responses. So do most people agree that the throat trick isn't the best indicator of sensitivity? I assume Flechero was referring to placing the tip of the rod on a partner's throat and having them talk to see what you feel.