Sign in to follow this  
Kingbass43

Best rods for tournaments

So i was gonna start fishing tournaments hopefully soon and im used to a spinning reel and im not very good with a baitcaster what should i do i see most people in tournaments using bait casters and some people say that some reel are better for certain lures and some people say it doesnt matter please help me!!!! http://www.bassresource.com/fishing-forum/Templates/Forum/default/huh.gif

Thanks!

Do what you feel comfortable with.  I do recommend giving a baitcast rig a shot.  St Croix's Mojo series is a great place to start for a rod.  They are labeled as technique specific to help you pick the right rod for your tournaments, and the price can't be beat.

Practice practice practice.  Even the most seasoned casters experience backlashes too.

Even the most seasoned casters experience backlashes too.

This is very true but it happens so infrequently that you learn to not fear the reel.  You can get away with fishing spinning setups in tourneys but I would recommend learning how to use a baitcaster.  Its just good to be versatile.

Go to your strength but I would suggest to learn bait casting if you are serous about tournaments.

You can be more accurate with baitcasters, take more casts in the same amount of time then a spinning combo, better drag system, and can handle the slop better then a spinning combo. IMO

Go to your strength but I would suggest to learn bait casting if you are serous about tournaments.

2nd.

Learn to be versatile, especially if you are going as a non boater. I think it is almost required to be able to use both set ups. Everything can be done using either set up, but many techniques are steered towards either baitcasting or spinning, and you should match it to maximize the potential.

For Non-Boaters you are sent to where ever your partner is going. If my strongest fishing type its drop shot, I can almost guarantee my boater will be in slop all day long. Thats just the way it works. So if you can be versatile and be able to use most baits and have them work for you than you will be much better off.  

You can fish anything and everything on spinning tackle.

Baitcasting gear appeals to a lot of guys and I prefer it

too for a variety of techniques. You may find using the tackle

is challenging at first, but chances are you will want to add

some of this to your arsenal.

I prefer spinning gear for finesse techniques and baitcasting

tackle for "power" applications. A simple example is spinning

for weightless soft plastics; baitcasting for jigs. It's really only

a matter of personal preference.

8-)

Ah ok thanks i wanna learn a bait caster with my brothers but im still not very good at oh i was watching bill dance and i saw somethin on how to make it easier fixing a birds nest it was like he put down a piece of tape ove some of his line and it looked cool anyone seen this or tryed it?

You don't need a baitcaster,I can do everything with my spinning rig that baitcasters can do.It's just personal preferences.

That being said,baitcasters are fun to learn and a good add into your arsenal of fishing tackle.

That piece of tape is a life saver specially when you are new to baitcasting.I've done it to one reel starting out.Once you get used to baitcasting the tape isn't needed much,because you'll be able to stop the backlashes with your thumb before it gets out of control.It's all about "practice,practice,practice".

learning to use a baitcaster isnt as hard as you think. Just practice like when u first rode a bike. Remember , practice doesnt make perfect...perfect practice makes perfect. If you take it seriously then it shouldnt take u long to master it. Birdsnest are alot easier to avoid if u just tighten up the spool tension some at first. Your casts wont be as far but u can work ur way up to that. I have several high dollar spinning set ups and I rarely ever use them. Pretty much just for soft plastic worms and thats it. I even started throwing senkos with my baitcaster recently and love it. Good luck

In addition to what others have said, baitcasters are just more fun to use IMO.

You don't need a baitcaster,I can do everything with my spinning rig that baitcasters can do.It's just personal preferences.

That being said,baitcasters are fun to learn and a good add into your arsenal of fishing tackle.

That piece of tape is a life saver specially when you are new to baitcasting.I've done it to one reel starting out.Once you get used to baitcasting the tape isn't needed much,because you'll be able to stop the backlashes with your thumb before it gets out of control.It's all about "practice,practice,practice".

What is this Tape method that you guys are talkign about? I am relativly new to baitcasters and maybe have a few backlashes here and there left still in me but hey learning something new is always a good thing. So what gives?

I don't think the tape is necessary. I learned how without it (this is coming from someone who is so mechanical inept it's sad) Starting with a decent reel with low memory line will make it MUCH easier. Just start with the brakes at 8-9 (magnetic) or 5/6 (centrifugal) and the spool tension knob to where your spool stops turning when it hits the ground. You'll never look back after you learn how to use a casting setup.

So i was gonna start fishing tournaments hopefully soon and im used to a spinning reel and im not very good with a baitcaster what should i do i see most people in tournaments using bait casters and some people say that some reel are better for certain lures and some people say it doesnt matter please help me!!!!  Thanks!
Were are you going to be fishing the tournaments?

;)

Anyone know were  :-? he is fishing his tourneys....

Tight Lines!!!

Here is the easiest way to learn how to use a baitcaster:

1. Purchase a Shimano Citica 200E

2. Spool up the reel with 8lb Monofilament

3. tie on a 1/2 oz jig

4. Set all the brakes on

5. properly adjust spool tension knob

6. Go to the lake and practice

After an hour or two Ill bet you become very proficient

So i was gonna start fishing tournaments hopefully soon and im used to a spinning reel and im not very good with a baitcaster what should i do i see most people in tournaments using bait casters and some people say that some reel are better for certain lures and some people say it doesnt matter please help me!!!! Thanks!

That was all one sentence.  If Long Mike see's that...... :-/