Sign in to follow this  
The_Natural

Painting your reels

Do you have a sweet reel that has some scars? Maybe a Curado B that you want to look as good as it fishes? Painting a reel isn't that diffifult, and most of the rattle-can repaints I see pics of on the net turn people off. With the proper masking and airbrush painting...you get factory results. I'm no professional and I don't paint reels for people, but I have painted a few of my own and it isn't that difficult. I would be more than happy to give tips to those who own an airbrush and want to attempt this, or info on airbrush artists that you could send your reel to.

TDZ's I painted...(I'm working on a metallic red that will be done shortly)

IMG_0727.jpg

MetallicBlackTD-Z010.jpg

MetallicBlackTD-Z012.jpg

MetallicBlackTD-Z009.jpg

Looks good, Natural. I always appreciate "custom" stuff, but i don't see myself painting any reels in the future. I also appreciate "stock", especially when the are old. Show us your red one when you are done......later

Very nice work on those TDZs. Have any extra cork knobs you want to sell?  B)

may have to try this on my Revo S thats a bit beat up.

Tutorial would be great!  Paint types / clear coat etc.

Nice dude. I really like that black one. I never thought of that option to match reels to my rods.

This is exactly the kind of thread I was looking for.  So who are these artist that I can send my reel to, to be painted?  I ve been wanting to have some of the reds on one of my reels to be painted either black or metallic blue to match my new GBlanks rod. B)

The paint I use is House of Kolor; TCP Global sells premixed HOK paint (already reduced) in little 2 and 4oz squeeze bottles.  they run $6-$10.  I use U-POL clear #1 as my clearcoat....it come in an aerosol can.  

fishntime- pm sent...

that is super sweet. ive repainted 2 old daiwas but have yet to do so with an air brush.

the one thing ive learned is: painting is the easy part.

making sure you dont get paint where you dont want it = hard.

Do you do any wet sanding between coats?

Nope....I just spray two coats of paint and two of clear, and roll with it.  I do use a liquid polish when I'm all finished.  

Really like the balck TDZ...stealth mode.  I also really like the job you did on your new Tour that you posted a while back

VERY NICE!!! I am about to start trying to paint some of my Revos, are you sanding or stripping the old paint?  I am going to get an airbrush kit and use my big compressor to p[ower it, any tips would be greatly appreciated.  (I am going to practice on an old reel first though)