Sign in to follow this  
phoneman

Avid for plastics - need your help

hello. im trying to match up my shimano symtre 2500 with flocarb line to an avid 7 footer. It'll be used for plastics (senkos, fat ikas, creature baits) , and for the most part weightless (weighted will usually go to my casting).

Now im not sure if i should pick up a medium or MH. can you guys give a suggestion? i dont want to get the wrong one and then get stuck with something i dont like or doesnt work right.

let me know your professional opinion.

Well, there are two options I would suggest:

AVS68MXF or AVS70MF

8-)

I have the AVC70MHF, and this is one heavy, powerful stick. Not so much heavy in weight, but in the way it fishes, and the baits that work. I use it for Jigs and t-rigs in the 1/2 to 3/4 range. This rod fishes like other manus H.

I also have the AVC62MXF, that I primarily use for topwaters and jerk/rip baits, but I have also used it to throw unweighted plastics, medium drop shot rigs, and even shaky heads in the 3/8 oz. range. After handling the AVC68MXF, I can say the action is very similar to my rod, and the added few inches a big plus for plastics, and other "tip up" presentations.

My other plastics rod is a LTBC70MF (Teaser), similar to the AVC70MF, and this is perhaps the finest plastics rod, as well as just about everything and anything else in its stated weight range. One caveat, it is rated fast, but its a little faster than many "fast" rods I've owned, and it doesn't take much get into the backbone. I tore up many a wacky rigged Senko on the cast before deciding this rod was the wrong tool for such baits.

EDIT!!!  Well, I need to read closer, LMAO, this was for spinning.  in which case, the either rods would be fine, and I in fact was testing out an AVS68MXF last night as well.  The above advice works if you are looking for casting format.  Sorry about that!

I have the AVS68MXF and I use it for weightless Senko fishing. It's a great rod for fishing plastics on spinning gear.

AVS68MXF is what I suggest. You will like the XF tip!

8-)

If you are into skipping docks or working tight quarters, there was another rod that i liked very much, too.  This time a spinner, LOL, AVS63MXF.  Same rod, 5" shorter, but about half that was in the handle, not the tip.  Cool rod for underhand, snap casts under docks and cover.

haha francho thanks man. Ive been rolln with a IMX MH and i love it! cant rip it outta my hand. my brother has a GLX, and i just dont think its worth the xtra money.

just looking for a spinning outfit for finesse. I HATE throwing yamamoto kreatures weightless with my 50LB baitcaster. usually ends up to my right on the shore edge.

Well, there are two options I would suggest:

AVS68MXF or AVS70MF

8-)

X2

I picked one up a little while ago and it has become my "go to" rod, replacing both my Crucial and Johnny Morris Signature Series spinning rods.

I like it so much, I replaced my JM Sig.  MH/F casting rod with an AVC66MH, and will probably do the same with the rest of the rods in my arsenal.

RW, would you go with the first one or the 2nd one? shore fishing!

I own the AVS68MXF and I highly recomand it, but I'm fishig from a boat; the casting distance is not such an isue.

You are fishing from shore, so annother 10ft on your cast could mean reaching "the spot" or not. The AVS70MF will load better and the extra lenght will give you longer casts.

I think the AVS70MF would be a better option for your situation

RW, would you go with the first one or the 2nd one? shore fishing!

I own the AVS68MXF and I highly recomand it, but I'm fishig from a boat; the casting distance is not such an isue.

You are fishing from shore, so annother 10ft on your cast could mean reaching "the spot" or not. The AVS70MF will load better and the extra lenght will give you longer casts.

I think the AVS70MF would be a better option for your situation

I agree!

8-)

phoneman, before you buy either rod, and both are excellent sticks, go to a store that has them and mount a reel on one.

See how it feels to you.

The reason I suggest this is the small diameter of the grips. I have two AVS68MXF rods, and don't use either one.

It takes about 30 minutes fishing one of these to cramp up my right hand. The grip is just way too small for me.

I have both of those actions and don't think you will go wrong with either.  I prefer the 68MXF over the 70MF.  I have had Symetre 2500 FI and FJ on them.  

AVS68MXF is what I suggest. You will like the XF tip!

8-)

I have this rod matched up with a Shimano Symetre and 10lbs BPS fluorocarbon and it is absolutely a dream to fish plastics with.

Later, :D

i have 12LB mono on mine and for the life of me, i cant keep this line from straightening out and nesting. i think i have 2 birds living in my line right now.