Sign in to follow this  
twitchfish

Shakey Head Set-up

What should one be looking for in a Shakey Head Set-up? What power rod, reel, line is most conducive to this technique?

The reason I ask, is I have what I consider alot of gear that I am not utilizing optimally. Of course, I want to buy more stuff to hold and love and call my own, but I want to know if I can double time something I already have.

Thanks in advance, Twitch

Shakey head and Drop-shot setup:

7' Compre spinning rod Meduim power

Old Diawa spinning reel (don't know the name of it)

8 lb. Berkley 100% Flourocarbon

I am no expert on shakyhead fishing, but I have used that technique a lot this year. I use a 6'10" spinning rod that has an extra-fast tip and can handle lures from 1/8 oz. to 5/16 oz. in weight.  I heard Jeff Kreit say that he uses only 1/16 oz. & 1/8 oz. shakyhead jigs, because if he went any heavier, there probably would be a better lure choice that the fish would bite.  So make sure to pick a rod that can cast comfortably those light lures, but has enough backbone to drive home the hook and get those fish in.

IMO shakey heading needs a faster rod than drop shotting. A rod with decent back bone to set the hook and move fish, but with a soft tip for utilizing the 1/16 and 1/8 oz heads.

For me, despite my thinking that Loomis rods are generally overrated is that their SHR rods are spot on. I have the heavier of the two I think it's the SHR 822 and it's perfect.

The 8030 Pflueger Supreme makes a nice light, balanced setup.

For me, despite my thinking that Loomis rods are generally overrated is that their SHR rods are spot on. I have the heavier of the two I think it's the SHR 822 and it's perfect.

The 8030 Pflueger Supreme makes a nice light, balanced setup.

That is my exact Shakyhead Set-up (both rod and reel).

it's a finesse tactic - think light tackle

i use the 7'M Pro Qualifier spinning combo from BPS and 8lbs flouro.

If the Pro Qualifier spinning combos are anything like the baitcast this is a fine choice.

I use a President 1730 (Pflueger) reel and a 6'6" MF Bass pro Extreme rod. Not the lightest combo around, but a nice setup for the money IMHO. Good luck.

Shimano Stradic CI4 2500

Shimano Cumara CUS-72M

Seaguar 8lb flouro

You can feel a mouse fart on it!

Steez on a Steez

You can feel a moth fly by it !  8-)

Shimano Stradic CI4 2500

Shimano Cumara CUS-72M

Seaguar 8lb flouro

Steez on a Steez

You can feel a moth fly by it ! 8-)

Stradic CI4 on a Damiki Dark Angel

you can feel a fish bite it

I fished with "Hookset's" cumara/stradic combo earlier this week and it is simply awesome. This setup could be used for other baits as well and I am glad he got it as I may be snatching it off the deck of the boat every now and then!!

Shimano Stradic CI4 2500

Shimano Cumara CUS-72M

Seaguar 8lb flouro

Steez on a Steez

St Croix 6'9" Med-light, Ex-fast with a Revo STX.

You can feel the earth move. :o

Shimano Stradic CI4 2500

Shimano Cumara CUS-72M

Seaguar 8lb flouro

Steez on a Steez

St Croix 6'9" Med-light, Ex-fast with a Revo STX.

You can feel the earth move. :o

St. Croix Avid 6'3 Medium with a Shimano Sahara.

You can feel Robert Dinero smell it.

I've been reading alot of posts about how great the GLX version of this rod or that rod is.

I should sure as heck hope so!

I like nice rods. In some applications I feel they do, without a doubt help you catch more fish. But I'll be damned if I spend close to $400 on a fishing rod. Besides all the other reasons, I just simply won't do it out of principal.

Besides, I don't see KVD or or Skeet Reese or for that matter much of ANY body using them on the pro circuit.

Sponsors? Sure. But that still doesn't change the fact that most of them aren't using a $400 fishing rod and could still kick all of our butts.

I've been reading alot of posts about how great the GLX version of this rod or that rod is.

I should sure as heck hope so!

I like nice rods. In some applications I feel they do, without a doubt help you catch more fish. But I'll be damned if I spend close to $400 on a fishing rod. Besides all the other reasons, I just simply won't do it out of principal.

Besides, I don't see KVD or or Skeet Reese or for that matter much of ANY body using them on the pro circuit.

Sponsors? Sure. But that still doesn't change the fact that most of them aren't using a $400 fishing rod and could still kick all of our butts.

Actually, there are a lot of Pro's using G Loomis rods.  When I was at the FLW Forrest Woods Championship in Pittsburgh, there was probably 30% of the Pros with G Loomis Rods (these seemed to be the guys not sponsored by rod companies).  These are pros who choose to use these rods and are not sponsored to use them. 

6'6" Cabelas Mag Touch

Quantum Catalyst PTi-A20

PLine CXX Xtra Strong 8#