Sign in to follow this  
Kowen117

Steez? is it worth it?

hey i have seen and heard a lot about the steez but is it really worth what are some advantages to it i mean they say it is light but so is my carrot stix and it is a heck of a lot cheaper and a great rod too :-/ :-?

They are very nice rods, but you have to factor in the law of dimenishing returns with any high-end item.  It is a better rod than your carrot stick, but maybe not 3x better.  They are a pretty safe buy though....if you decide it isn't worth it, the Steez products have probably the highest resale value of any equipment I've sold. 

They are constructed better, (guides and blank) but I cannot justify spending money for the rod with others on the market.

Now the Steez spinning reel is another story.

I have never used a Steez Rod or Reel, but I have several GLX rods and a few high end reels (e.g., Core). Here is the bottom line with all high end equipment...the overall benefit is the enjoyment you get from using it. You will always have the argument that one rod, which costs half as much as another rod, is just as good as that other rod. Why do I spend money on GLX rods? The answer is simple, I like the way they feel and the way they fish (plus they are one of the last companies to not go with split grip, which I do not like). You probably can out fish me with your Carrot Stix, but I will sure have a fun time with my gear out on the water getting beat. I'm sure that is not the answer you were looking for, but in most cases, it is the only answer one can give.

I have never used a Steez Rod or Reel, but I have several GLX rods and a few high end reels (e.g., Core). Here is the bottom line with all high end equipment...the overall benefit is the enjoyment you get from using it. You will always have the argument that one rod, which costs half as much as another rod, is just as good as that other rod. Why do I spend money on GLX rods? The answer is simple, I like the way they feel and the way they fish (plus they are one of the last companies to not go with split grip, which I do not like). You probably can out fish me with your Carrot Stix, but I will sure have a fun time with my gear out on the water getting beat. I'm sure that is not the answer you were looking for, but in most cases, it is the only answer one can give.

I agree 100% with Lucky Craft Man, I own a lot of steez rods and reels and its a lot about the enjoyment of using really nice gear.  I also own several GLX rods and a lot of Core 50 reels and I enjoy fishing with them but to me theres nothing like a steez.  Its sensitive, lightweight and the reels are very smooth.

Is it worth it? Yes it is. ;D

YES, x100.

If you really want to know, just go to BPS or Cabelas and buy a steez rod and reel, go fish with it for a day. If you dont like it you can return it for a full refund but I would be willing to bet you wll NOT return it.

I have a Steez casting combo. I didn't pay full price for it as I bought in a package deal from a BR member. I however would pay full price for it. It is so light you can't imagine. It is a real pleasure to fish with. I have a lot of higher end rods and reels but everytime I pick up the Steez...............WOW!

Rand

hey i have seen and heard a lot about the steez but is it really worth what are some advantages to it i mean they say it is light but so is my carrot stix and it is a heck of a lot cheaper and a great rod too :-/ :-?

Some people demand excellence and have the money to buy the best , some don't , you seem to fall in the latter category , welcome to the masses.

thanks that help a lot actually  and why all the hate to split grips??

thanks that help a lot actually and why all the hate to split grips??

I cast with two hands and the one split grip I did own felt very uncomfortable when casting (holding onto a little nub at the end of the rod just didn't feel right).  So after giving it some time, I realized that I liked the full grip better and sold off the split grip.  I guess another preference thing.

thanks that help a lot actually and why all the hate to split grips??

personal preference...I will only buy split grips.

The best "bang for your buck" in the high end,

is the low high end: $100 - $200 for a rod and

the same range for reels. Some of the best deals

can be had in our Flea Market. An example might

be a Shimano Citica/ St. Croix Avid AVC68MXF,

but the choices are many. Nearly every manufacturer

targets this pricing range with a variety of gear.

8-)

They are constructed better, (guides and blank) but I cannot justify spending money for the rod with others on the market.

co-sign.

Cabelas has the Sol spinning on sale for $150 and after an hour of playing with the reel on different rods i picked up a Steez mounted on a Lowrider and it was like a slice of heaven. i suggest everyone has at least one.

They are very nice rods, but you have to factor in the law of dimenishing returns with any high-end item. It is a better rod than your carrot stick, but maybe not 3x better. They are a pretty safe buy though....if you decide it isn't worth it, the Steez products have probably the highest resale value of any equipment I've sold.
2X

co-sign.

Cabelas has the Sol spinning on sale for $150 and after an hour of playing with the reel on different rods i picked up a Steez mounted on a Lowrider and it was like a slice of heaven. i suggest everyone has at least one.

Not to steal your the thread and steez spinning reel is sweet and I own 1 but I made the mistake of holding a new stella and to me its even sweeter. As soon as I decide on a rod I will definitely own a stella. I think the STL1000 model would be awesome on a SJR721S or SJR722S GLX rod and make a great lightweight spinning combo.

Ditto on the I don't care for the split grips.  They just do not feel natural in my hand.  I agree with some that you can feel the action better with your hand directly on the blank though.  But I still prefer the full handle for comfort.