Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Knot for joining braid and mono for jig fishing

What knot do you guys use to connect mono or flouro to your braid when your fishing jigs? I just learned how to tie a Surgeons knot, and it seems like it would work.

Double Uni is easy, slide them together rather than pull them. I prefer fluoro leader over mono. It's tougher and of course basically invisible. Lubricate the knot with liquid or gelled fish attractant.

my fav. for braid to mono (as i just posted elsewhere, and will restate here :))

i have had no failures with the alberto (or improved albright) knot with my braid to mono connections.

(normally 20lb braid to 40lb mono.... in the salt)

and i may add,

when done properly..... its quite a "pretty" knot...  ;)

Try the J-Knot. I switched to it from Uni-Uni a couple years ago. EASY and fast to tie. NO failures.

Definitely the J-Knot. Best for braid and flouro.

I have tried most all of the knots and found most lacking.  Avid put me on the Alberto's knot a year or so ago.  It is all it use now for attaching 2 lines.

I go back and forth between several knots (J-knot, Alberto, etc.) but mostly for my Bass fishing I use a Blood Knot,http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php and to further complicate things I tie a Spider Hitch http://www.marinews.com/Spider-Hitch-434.php in the end of the superline ( I use Fireline a lot, which isn't braid) the Spider Hitch doubles the thinner superline, making it a very strong knot.

Yes, it's kind of a pain, but compared to flyfishing and dealing with all that knot stuff, it's pretty easy for me.