Sign in to follow this  
Arnoldo

problems with leader knot

Occasionally yes, with spinning tackle. I'm still not certain the exact cause but seems to have to do with the way I make the cast. Maybe it's when I keep the rod tip up on a strong cast. Dunno really. It's not a regular problem.

do you have problems with the hit of leader knot on the rod guide ?

Not really.  I've used several knots, triple surgeons, nail, Alberto (my favorite), uni to uni, allbright, etc.

I use the alberto knot as well, i think from J Francho's suggestion. I love it, and have no issues with the knot on spinning or baitcasting gear.

I can definitely tell when the knot hits the tip-top (guide) but it's not an issue in any way.  I've used the uni to uni and now the Alberto (also my favorite; no going back) and they both feel similarly but it's not an issue of any sort (to me).

Here is a tip for braid to fluoro or mono leader:  Leave a 1/4" tag on the braided mainline, and fray it into a little white poof ball.  You now have a strike indicator.

:D

im a personal fan of the blood knot. just make sure to wet it and tighten it down real good and get those tag ends cut short

I use a 6 turn uni-knot for attaching a leader and after I tie the knots and pull the tag ends with a lot of effort, I pull the lines very hard to get the connection as small and tight as possible. Then I cut the tag ends flush with each knot. Cutting the tag ends flush has reduced the tip hangups considerably on retrieve and I have never had a problem when casting.

thank you very much, I have another question.  what is the kind of rod do you use in the leaders of 6' or more?..spinning or baitcast?..

I use a 6 turn uni-knot for attaching a leader and after I tie the knots and pull the tag ends with a lot of effort, I pull the lines very hard to get the connection as small and tight as possible. Then I cut the tag ends flush with each knot. Cutting the tag ends flush has reduced the tip hangups considerably on retrieve and I have never had a problem when casting.

That is works best for me. I notice the knot when it travels through the tip top but have never had it hang up.

Try a double UNI...goes through the guides with ease..and it's strong.. :D

I use it for braid with a fluro leader.

The animated knots link RW put up there is a good one, just look at how the Blood Knot's tag ends are 90-degrees to the line in either direction. Helps with any issues of the knot hitting the guides. A well tied knot, whether Uni-, Alberto, Blood, or whatever won't impede casting or retrieving one bit.