Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

Taking care of reels

I cleaned out my Citica the other day and it was full of dirt and grime. It was kind of nasty. This made me think of the last time I cleaned it, which I couldn't remember.

That led me to ask how you guys take care of your reels so that this doesn't happen?

I really need to start taking better care of her ;)

The rule of thumb is a thorough cleaning and lube

once a year, but lots of guys do it more often and

many get by for several years without service. Pick

your poison!

You can certainly do this yourself just like changing your own oil in car or truck, but an annual cleaning and inspection by a professional can be had for ,<$20 in some cases. Cheap insurance.

I suffer from obsesive compulsive behavior, I want and like my stuff to look inmaculate and perform flawlessly.

The only time my reels are without cover is when they are on my hands, after I fish and before storing the reel it 's thoroughly cleaned, spool supporting bearings are oiled every 2/3 outings and dissasembled/ cleaned/ lubed every 4-6 months.

I "tuned" both my Citica and Sahara, now they're both silky smooth! Great feeling.

Everyone else's reels, once a year, at least.  My own reels, when it gets to the, "Oh Jeez, look at this mess" point.

;D

I suffer from obsesive compulsive behavior, I want and like my stuff to look inmaculate and perform flawlessly.

The only time my reels are without cover is when they are on my hands, after I fish and before storing the reel it 's thoroughly cleaned, spool supporting bearings are oiled every 2/3 outings and dissasembled/ cleaned/ lubed every 4-6 months.

Whatever the clinical disorder that is diametrically opposite of your OCD, I have  it. ;) It may be chronic, acute laziness, but I don't care for that diagnosis. ::D I don't give my reels near the attention they deserve. Somewhere between our extremes is probably a level of maintenance that gets the job done effectively. Once this year is my goal. 8-)

Couldn't have said it better myself brotha, and it is not a problem, its a passion. ;)

I like to tinker with my gear when the weather is bad, like now snowing real hard.  I clean and lube my reel , change line, rearrange tackle box, stuff like that.

I like to tinker with my gear when the weather is bad, like now snowing real hard. I clean and lube my reel , change line, rearrange tackle box, stuff like that.

X2

also in the summer when lightning is in the forecast and I can't fish.