Sign in to follow this  
brushhoggin

do rods weaken

through use? i'm just trying to justify buying another nice rod. is it possible for a 250 dollar rod to last over ten years? materials have improved so much throughout the years but still see pros snapping their rods and i know they aint usin the cheap ones

I don't think they necessarily "weaken" but to make the higher end rods lighter and more sensitive they are a little more fragile. Getting chipped and hit causes a weak point which can break.

But any decent rod will last over 10 years if taken care of.

I'll echo what Brian said and add some. Carbon fiber (or graphite) blanks will tend to loose a bit of stiffness over a long period of repeated flex but, not to the extent that you would notice it.

As Brian said, it's the "little things" that generally cause a rod to fail. Beyond the common nicks and scrapes, you would be surprised at what can cause breakage - particularly on a factory-built rod. If the guide feet don't mate perfectly with the blank when it's wrapped, thread tension will exert more force on the part of the foot that isn't true and result in a dimple in the laminate. A stress riser is born. Same goes for a foot that isn't properly deburred after grinding or filing the ramp. Even custom builders (occasionally) commit these errors.

With QC being what it is, though, and the warranties as written, you would just have to be plain unlucky to have a $250 rod give you problems. Companies often do replace breaks that are not mfg flaws just to keep customers happy. In that price range, though - have you considered a custom or perhaps even taking up rodbuilding yourself?

Happy New Year!  :D

RobE is right on.  Good quality rods will last 10 years if they are taken care of and not abused.  Failures normally come from handles that come loose, guide wraps that deteriorate and other wear on components that are added to the blank.  The quality of high modulus graphite and the material used to bond the graphite is usually proportionate to the price.  Blanks that snap have most likely been " bruised " or taken an impact or the stress was placed on a confined section of the blank.  I remember when Boron was going to be the next miracle material in rods.  That was a bust.

Good question !

How about this, I kicked an All Star Titanium over the side and went back 3 days later and caught it. Could water seep into the glue. The tip has broken off and I think it was bad workmanship but it had me thinking. Maybe the rod is delaminating. And ideas ???

Here's my take on this.  I'm a custom rod wrapper and I believe like you guys that a well maintained rod can last over 10 years.  However the answer to the question about rods weakening is not because of the manufacturer, it is the fisherman who determines the durability of his rod.  A rod is only a tool for which to catch fish.  Here's a link that will explain why rods break and how to care for rods.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/rodusage.pdf

How about this, I kicked an All Star Titanium over the side and went back 3 days later and caught it. Could water seep into the glue. The tip has broken off and I think it was bad workmanship but it had me thinking. Maybe the rod is delaminating. And ideas ???

You had a rod that was around 4-5 years old minimum become completely submerged in water for at least 72 hours.  Try that with any rod, regardless of manufacturer and the results will vary depending on what condition the rod was in before you sank it.

nice link kidbee. yeah ive hoisted a 4.5 pounder in the boat with a carrot stick, didn't break but a year later i got snagged on a lily pad, gave it one little tug (not straight back which is what i've learned since) and it snapped right in the middle, quite loud actually. its funny cause i renounced e21 till i realized i was the reason.

You had a rod that was around 4-5 years old minimum become completely submerged in water for at least 72 hours. Try that with any rod, regardless of manufacturer and the results will vary depending on what condition the rod was in before you sank it.

The rod was in good shape. No major damage but I think when the tip was replaced they overheated the rod making it weak. I lost approx 1 inch. I am hoping a new tip will keep this from becoming junk and that it will still be a useful rod.

Here's my take on this. I'm a custom rod wrapper and I believe like you guys that a well maintained rod can last over 10 years. However the answer to the question about rods weakening is not because of the manufacturer, it is the fisherman who determines the durability of his rod. A rod is only a tool for which to catch fish. Here's a link that will explain why rods break and how to care for rods.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/rodusage.pdf

That is a cool and informative article.  really taught me what to do and not to do.

I purchased my Berkley Lightning Rods in 1984 ( 25 years ago ), have fished with them to the point of abuse, have caught thousands of fish and most of my 10+ pounders were caught on them ( back then when I was single, a student and had lots of vacation/holiday time to fish up and down Mexico ) and they are as crisp and powerful just like the day I bought them.

I purchased my Berkley Lightning Rods in 1984 ( 25 years ago ), have fished with them to the point of abuse, have caught thousands of fish and most of my 10+ pounders were caught on them ( back then when I was single, a student and had lots of vacation/holiday time to fish up and down Mexico ) and they are as crisp and powerful just like the day I bought them.

wow, i bet they dont come like that anymore. seems to me everything has declined in quality as time goes by, more quantity.

Not really, take good care of your gear and it will last a lifetime, my first GLoomis rod is over 15 years old and still not only as new but also, it looks like new.

another mississippian! :D, i was gettin lonely on here. where you fish mainly?

Mostly the brackish waters of the Louisiana and Mississippi coastal areas. An occasional trip to the res but mostly tidal systems. You ???

Not really, take good care of your gear and it will last a lifetime, my first GLoomis rod is over 15 years old and still not only as new but also, it looks like new.

What he said. I probably border on mental illness, but every winter I wipe my rods down with diluted Simple Green, apply a coat of car wax to the blank and guides and apply U 40 cork sealer to the handles. Then they get stored in tubes. I like my stuff to last a long time.

another mississippian! :D, i was gettin lonely on here. where you fish mainly?

Mostly the brackish waters of the Louisiana and Mississippi coastal areas. An occasional trip to the res but mostly tidal systems. You ???

cool. yeah mainly the rez, but simpson county and calling panther are also nice places i'll go. wanna get up to pickwick or come down there n fish brackish

I think that the majority of the rods that you see snapped by the touring pros is from simple abuse and misuse.  It is very common to see high sticking, rods beaten and banged which causes nicks which are stress risers which can fail the next time the rod is used.  I honestly think that if you take care of your gear it will outlast you.