Sign in to follow this  
-nick-

Shaky Head rod

I want to upgrade my spinning rod that will primarily be used for shaky heads since that's the main technique I use now on my spinning rod and probably one of my most used techniques overall.

My price range is 150-250. I mostly throw shaky heads from 1/16-1/8. I really would like to stick with St. Croix so I've been looking at the Avids and Legend Tournaments, but I was also looking at the Cumaras CUS68M and the Loomis IMX SJR782. Also the G. Loomis shaky head rod SHR821S and SHR822S look great and are a little cheaper than the IMX but if it's not as good as say the IMX or Cumara I'd rather get one of those. Pretty much I just want the best rod for the money. I haven't used any of them, just checked them out in the store so any advice would be great. Thanks!

Not on your list of what you're looking at. But figured I'd throw this out there.

I use a Dobyns 702S for shaky heading, I got it for the soul purpose to shaky head. Awesome rod, and very fun to fight fish on. Very sensitive, light and well balanced. It's a little under your max limit and well worth it.

I want to upgrade my spinning rod that will primarily be used for shaky heads since that's the main technique I use now on my spinning rod and probably one of my most used techniques overall.

My price range is 150-250. I mostly throw shaky heads from 1/16-1/8. I really would like to stick with St. Croix so I've been looking at the Avids and Legend Tournaments, but I was also looking at the Cumaras CUS68M and the Loomis IMX SJR782. Also the G. Loomis shaky head rod SHR821S and SHR822S look great and are a little cheaper than the IMX but if it's not as good as say the IMX or Cumara I'd rather get one of those. Pretty much I just want the best rod for the money. I haven't used any of them, just checked them out in the store so any advice would be great. Thanks!

I've got the SHR 821S. I love it. I use it just for shakey heads, but I like it enough I may get another in the 822 to fish other plastics.

It has the perfect action for fishing shakey heads. A really fast tip, and lots of back bone. Even in the 821, there is plenty of backbone for setting the hook.

It's plenty light and sensitive. There may be others lighter and more sensitive (GLX, maybe IMX) but for me the action makes up for it.

I have a Pflueger Supreme 8030 on it, which is VERY light compared to other spinning reels. And it still balances nearly perfect. I normally like to add weight to balance all my contact bait rods, and this combo is the only one I find needs nothing at all.

You couldn't go wrong with G.Loomis but I love my Avid AVS69MLXF ,which I use for plastics and shaky heads. I have also heard excellent things about the legend tournaments.

most any type of medium light - medium spinning outfit will work, loaded with 6 - 8 lb flourocarbon you'll be fine. :)

The IMX SJR783S would be a better choice.

You can use this rod for everything you will

ever fish on spinning tackle.

8-)

most any type of medium light - medium spinning outfit will work, loaded with 6 - 8 lb flourocarbon you'll be fine. :)

Berkley Cherrywood? Haha I want something sensitive and light not just something that you find in Walmart that has specs to match what I'm fishing.

The IMX SJR783S would be a better choice.

You can use this rod for everything you will

ever fish on spinning tackle.

8-)

So it is worth the extra money over the St. Croix LT or the Cumara or the Loomis technique specific rods?

IMX > St. Croix LT or the Cumara

The technique specific Loomis Shaky Head rods leave a lot to be desired, especially when you switch to the GLX version of those rods. So, if you're against buying the GLX SH rod, get an IMX that has similar specs.

The technique specific Loomis Shaky Head rods leave a lot to be desired, especially when you switch to the GLX version of those rods. So, if you're against buying the GLX SH rod, get an IMX that has similar specs.

Perfect! Thanks.

Like brokeju said don't forget to consider a dobyns rod. I also use a 702dx but I prefer a casting rod for shakey heads. Give one a try I'm sure you will like it.

Also should I hold off until spring to get it? I think I'm about to just get a few TW gift cards since they're %10 off and should I just hold on to them until Spring because a lot of stuff will go on sale? Does TW do the 20% off everything again in the spring? I can't remember.

Another vote for Dobyns.  I have a Gen 1 703SXF that I use for shaky heads.  The 3 power also allows me to be able to fish split-shot rigs on or around heavy grass...

All these saying Dobyns believe they are a better value than the IMX? The 702SF looks perfect for what I want but if the IMX is worth the extra 30 dollars I'd rather spend that. Plus do the Dobyns have a lifetime warrenty?

All these saying Dobyns believe they are a better value than the IMX? The 702SF looks perfect for what I want but if the IMX is worth the extra 30 dollars I'd rather spend that. Plus do the Dobyns have a lifetime warrenty?

I can only speak to the rods I've fished, and I have not fished any Loomis.  All I can say is that I do fish a few Dobyns rods and I really like them a lot.  I find my spinning rod very versatile and effective at the techniques I use it for, shakey head included.

You can read about the Dobyns warranty here:

http://www.dobynsrods.com/service.html

By leave alot to be desired what do you mean? Other than sesitivity they are close to the same. I wouldn't really call them un sensitive at all. Compared to GLX maybe, but otherwise no.

I'm not just defending because I have one. I like the rod alot. Especially the action. But I also recognize the GLX would be a better rod. (and am contemplating getting one)

EDIT: I looked up a T/T review of the 821S and it is .3oz heavier than the GLX DSR820S (similar length and power different action) and the balance point is the same at 8" from the butt.

And the SHR is a blend of IMX and GL3.

While I don't doubt the GLX is better, I can't see the regular SHR leaving a lot to be desired.

I'm really having a hard time pulling the trigger on the IMX. The Cumara with that Stradic CI4 MG looks like a gorgeous combo. Is the 60 extra for the IMX really worth that extra instead of getting the Cumara? The Dobyns does look great too though. Man this is hard!

I'm really having a hard time pulling the trigger on the IMX. The Cumara with that Stradic CI4 MG looks like a gorgeous combo. Is the 60 extra for the IMX really worth that extra instead of getting the Cumara? The Dobyns does look great too though. Man this is hard!

I would suggest you get what you like.  If the Cumara and Stradic CI4 MG is what you like in the price range you are looking for, get it.  What is more important than having the lightest most sensitive rod is having a rod that you want, which will increase your enjoyment level and confidence level.

You can get an IMX for about the same price as a Cumara if you look around on internet forums.

My skakey head setup is a CI4 and 7'M Damiki Dark Angel....I know you seem to have it narrowed down but talk about a beautiful setup.

IMG_1294.jpg

powell max 7 footer. i got the medium heavy and really dig that rod. if i could i'd go back in time though i'd get the medium

I sold my GLoomis MBR844C GLX (yes GLX) and replaced it with a Dobyns 734 Extreme. Never thought twice, or looked back. Very happy. Two years ago I wanted to use only one type of rods, I went through the same thing, I went through several rods and finally landed on Dobyns. I now have over 15 and couldn't be happier.

I dont have a problem with Dobyns rods. I still own a couple of them....none are spinning rods though.

I think Loomis spinning rods are better than all others from the IMX up, thats my opinion and the sole reason I use them. I think a spinning rod should be the most sensitive rod you own and I get that from Loomis. But that doesn't mean that I think all other spinning rods are junk by any means. Its a personal preference thing. Nobody is wrong, they just form their own opinions thru experience.

For SWIMBASSER: When they first put out the SHR and DSR tech spec rods, I bought both. I thought both would be a little lighter than they were and I wasn't impressed with the sensitivity. I couldn't tell a big difference in those rods and some other name brand rods which were in a lower price range. For the extra money the tech spec rods cost, I just couldn't see it. I thought I had a good idea of what they should've felt and fished like and they just didnt measure up in my opinion.

I was curious about the GLX SHR so I acquired one to try for a couple weeks. As soon as I picked it up, I knew the GLX version was what I was expecting from a tech spec rod. I didnt send it back. I didnt even test the GLX DSR, I just went ahead and got one sent to me.

Dont think I'm downing the tech spec Loomis rods though. If you like 'em, thats all that matters.