Sign in to follow this  
Ojurb

can someone direct me to a how to on oiling a reel after use?

ive been trying to figure out the propwer way to oil my Revo S after fishing, ive been putting the oil where the picture shows but it seem that i need to remove some things to properly oil the whole real, any body know where i can find a how to for oiling the revo S?

also what In your opinion is the best oil to use on fishing reels?

If you are oiling the reel after each use, you will soon have a mess. With frequent use you should add a few drops of oil the the line guide worm gear OCCASINALLY. Other than that, the reel should be taken apart, cleaned lubricated once to twice a year or anytime you drop it in the lake or get it covered in sand or dirt. The exception to this would be if you use it in saltwater, it would need frequent cleanings.

well acording to the Revo S manual there are certain spot that need to be oiled after every use, so im just trying to figure out how to do just that

x2 Having worked for an oil company, too much can be as bad as too little.  ;)

it really says to oil it after every use? Where does it say to put the oil?

There is nothing in a Revo S that needs to oiled after every use.

I don't doubt it, I'm just interested to hear more about these strange instructions that came with the reel.

After each use  .... :-?

its on page 8 of the revo manual im gonna scan it and post a pic of the page so you guys can see

post-25673-130162927683_thumb.jpg

I don't doubt that the instructions would say that.

They said the same thing for the round reels of the 70's

But in all actuality, unless you remove the old oil (via a quality cleaning) your just adding new over old and flooding the reel..

In fishing reel lubrication, less is best.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

so basically i should just rinse and wipe dry and thats it then get it serviced about once a year?

I've never seen a Revo manual but I'm curious - is there a separate section regarding use of the reel in salt water? I've never seen a recommendation to rinse a reel in fresh water unless it was fished in salt water - in that case, it's a VERY good suggestion (practically mandatory). Otherwise, if this is not a specific salt-water use section, I'm puzzled why they would recommend a fresh-water rinse unless the reel had been dropped in the dirt, sand, etc.......

nope not a specific saltwater usage i can send you a pdf of the manual if youd like to see one.

i still like to rinse the rod and reel since  lot of the worms i use have salt in them, i cant afford to buy another reel if this one messes up so i gently rinse it and wipe it once i get home from fishing, specially since i bank fish a lot and find my self setting the rod down on the ground while i fish my spinning setup

nope not a specific saltwater usage i can send you a pdf of the manual if youd like to see one.

i still like to rinse the rod and reel since lot of the worms i use have salt in them, i cant afford to buy another reel if this one messes up so i gently rinse it and wipe it once i get home from fishing, specially since i bank fish a lot and find my self setting the rod down on the ground while i fish my spinning setup

That sounds like more than enough to maintain your rod/reel. Keep doing that and get the reel serviced once a year and you should have it for a very long time.

Well said, I once took a reel apart to clean and oil it. For some reason when I reassembled it I had some extra parts. Reel seemed to worm right after that. Ha, wonder why. Learn from my mistakes and do what I did. Find a local shop with a good rep. And get you reels serviced every winter. You will give you reels an extended life as well as trouble free casts.