Sign in to follow this  
Brendan Duffy

G Loomis IMX

Hey everyone,

I would love to get an IMX for an all purpose rod, but it's a little out of my budget. This may sound stupid or oxymoronic, but is there anything that rivals it for less money? I guess I am asking what the next best all purpose rod is?

Falcon Cara is a little cheaper and a very very good rod.

Powell or St. Croix Avid are also very good rods, just a bit below IMX in terms of sensitivity.

another vote for an avid. very solid rod!

Hey everyone,

I would love to get an IMX for an all purpose rod, but it's a little out of my budget. This may sound stupid or oxymoronic, but is there anything that rivals it for less money? I guess I am asking what the next best all purpose rod is?

A used g loomis IMX  ;D You can get one for $100 less than msrp if you look around and sometimes less.

What is the price range you were looking to spend? Any specific baits you throw a lot more of that you plan on getting a loomis for that may require the extra sensitivity? traditional or split grip? foregrip or non?  ;)

While not in the same class as the IMX, Fenwick Techna AV's can currently be found for less than $100. The Techna AV is light and very sensitive. Some may even agree that it has reached "classic" status.

If I had a $200 budget for 1 rod, I'd probably scratch up another 25% for an IMX so that I wouldn't wonder "what if" after compromising on a $200 rod. However, a $200 budget will buy 2 - 3 very good rods that can each be used for specific techniques.

Since I now have rods for every technique that I use, 2011 may be the year of G Loomis for me ;D (2010 is the year to put reels on all (most) of my rods ;) )

Leon

but is there anything that rivals it for less money?

Rivals for less money, uhhhh .... nope.

But there are very good rods for less money, St Croix 's Avid is a great rod.

Don't overlook Dobyns champion series rods. I spent over thirty minute at the tackle shop the other day comparing the champion to the IMX. The champion felt better, lighter, more balanced/ergonomic, and more sensative than the IMX. It also looked better and was cheaper. So far I have no regrets going with the Dobyns. Get to a shop that has both and do your own comparison.

I agree with what others have already said-the Avid is a great rod for the $.  With that being said, I would take a look at the Shimano Crucial as well. I have been very pleased with mine so far. Are they in the same league as the IMX? No, but they are a lot of rod for the $.

Hey everyone,

Save your money and get a MBR783C, it will be worth the wait.

Hey everyone,

Nothing rivals it for less money.