Sign in to follow this  
bilgerat

If you are going to open your reel...

...I suggest these screwdrivers :

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Slotted-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000NZ5QG0

They are very well made and worth every penny. Lifetime manufacturers warranty. There are other kits besides the one in the link. You can purchase individual drivers on Wiha's site if the set doesn't interest you. They might seem a bit pricey, but strip out a screwhead in that $$$ reel and you are done. Dollar store screwdrivers don't cut it.

Wiha are the best, and that is a great price!

My brother gave me a wiha precision set for christmas to replace my old cheap ones. good stuff.

They are very well made and worth every penny.
Maybe so but to much $$$ for a hobbiest, IMO...
strip out a screwhead in that $$$ reel and you are done. Dollar store screwdrivers don't cut it.
Again I don't agree. I paid about $15 for my set from TI back in the 80's and I haven't stripped a screw head in 25 years working on reels. You don't need expensive tools like that when your occasionally braking into reels, heck I wouldn't recommend that expensive of a set even for a pro...

Take your time and work right in the proper environment, and you won't have any problems....

Just the words of a pro!

Tight Lines!!!

ive never had any problems with craftsman screwdrivers. if for some reason one breaks , i swing it by the local sears and have it replaced.

strip out a screwhead in that $$$ reel and you are done. Dollar store screwdrivers don't cut it.
Again I don't agree. I paid about $15 for my set from TI back in the 80's and I haven't stripped a screw head in 25 years working on reels. You don't need expensive tools like that when your occasionally braking into reels, heck I wouldn't recommend that expensive of a set even for a pro...

Take your time and work right in the proper environment, and you won't have any problems....

Just the words of a pro!

Tight Lines!!!

Quality tools are an asset. In over 30 years of tool & die making, along with tinkering with everything I've encountered throughout my life, I have never regreted buying (and using) quality tools, but I have indeed regreted buying and using"cheap" tools. Value is not always measured by low cost.

$26 is inexpensive when investing in a good set of miniature screwdrivers...you aught to see the Brownell's gunsmith screwdriver set I have!

I wonder how many phillip's head screws have been buggered up with junk screwdrivers   :-?

I wonder how many phillip's head screws have been buggered up with junk screwdrivers
None by the drivers themselves but, more by the un-trained/practiced hands using them.

I have a $7.00 set of tools that are satin finished and made from quality hardened steel, that are just as comfortable to use as the linked set. In the right hands IMO any budget priced tool can do the job's...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Just the words of a pro!

Tight Lines!!!

Quality tools are an asset. In over 30 years of tool & die making, along with tinkering with everything I've encountered throughout my life, I have never regreted buying (and using) quality tools, but I have indeed regreted buying and using"cheap" tools. Value is not always measured by low cost.

$26 is inexpensive when investing in a good set of miniature screwdrivers...you aught to see the Brownell's gunsmith screwdriver set I have!

I wonder how many phillip's head screws have been buggered up with junk screwdrivers :-?

The Brownells set is without a doubt the best EVER!!!!!!

My father has a set from when I was just a tike, and those things are still killer. Every bit grips really tight, and lasts forever.

I wonder how many phillip's head screws have been buggered up with junk screwdrivers
None by the drivers themselves but, more by the un-trained/practiced hands using them.

I have a $7.00 set of tools that are satin finished and made from quality hardened steel, that are just as comfortable to use as the linked set. In the right hands IMO any budget priced tool can do the job's...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Your saying it requires special training or learned skill to operate a screwdriver?

$24.81 divided by 8 (screwdrivers) = $3.10 per driver.

Some people pay that much for a cup of coffee. :-?

If you have no mechanical skills whatsoever these or any other brand are of no use.

The critical thing with scew removal is using the correct size driver for the screw.

Most stripped heads come from trying to remove screws with threadlock on them.  There are tricks for that.

As far as scoffing at $25 for a set of tools, I can't get my head around it.  We pay a ton for our fishing tools, what's another $10 for tools that will last?

Most stripped heads come from trying to remove screws with threadlock on them. There are tricks for that.

As far as scoffing at $25 for a set of tools, I can't get my head around it. We pay a ton for our fishing tools, what's another $10 for tools that will last?

Sending you a PM now ;)

Most stripped heads come from trying to remove screws with threadlock on them. There are tricks for that.

One trick I use is to touch the tip of a soldering iron onto the head of the screw, which heats it up and breaks the bond of the Loc-Tite.

I use a 40 watt Weller iron with a 3/8" tip, which heats up the screw quickly...30 or-so seconds

The critical thing with scew removal is using the correct size driver for the screw.

x2.