Sign in to follow this  
Thai

Traveling rod tubes/cases

Like to hear what some of you guys have used to transport rods longer than 7' on planes and such

thanks

PVC tubbing and bubble wrap. Not pretty but it works great.Plano makes a nice rod carrier,I just don't travel that much to justify the cost.

i just transport mine in a rod tube i got a couple rods in from TW..   RW's cabelas tube is awesome though for 50 bucks or so

Tanks RW! Looks like I might be picking up one of those, do you have any personal experiance with them? Is it just hollow inside? Or are there clamps or compartments for individual rods? Or do you just put a rod sleeve on a stuff as many as you can inside?  ;D

Either way it looks ideal, thanks again guys

I own one, they are indestructible!

You still need to keep the rods in

socks or some bubble wrap so they

don't bang around inside. The case

holds six rods, but carry your reels

separately.

8-)

Home Depot sells foam pipe insulation that is slit the entire length. It's great for wrapping around your rods prior to putting them in the tube. It comes in different diameters and costs very little.

Home Depot sells foam pipe insulation that is slit the entire length. It's great for wrapping around your rods prior to putting them in the tube. It comes in different diameters and costs very little.

Great suggestion!

When  I carry my rods, with reels, in the back of my truck, I spread an old sheet on the floor and wrap a rod with reel for a couple of wraps.

Then I place another rod and reel with the reel toward the opposite end, and roll the two rods a couple of times.

Repeat, and you can tote up to eight rods like this.  Some plastic, electric zip ties at both ends and the center secures everything.  I alternate the rods to provide protection for the tips.  Works great in the back of my truck.

For air travel, use the same method, but w/o the reels, then place in the tote tube.  As long as there is a couple of layers of material between adjacent poles, they will not be damaged if bounced around.

Use sheets for queen or king size beds to handle seven foot rods.  Fold the extra length over the ends then secure it and the rods with zip ties.  The zip ties keep everything together nicely so they cannot rattle against each other.

Yep, they are dirt cheap as a matter of fact. Also, I use them to protect my trunk rods when the move around.

STA77037Large.jpg

STA77039Large.jpg

I have added a piece of pipe insulation to the other half.

I actually use a bazooka rod carrying case and I think it can accommodate 7' rods. It was about $35 at the time I bought and it has protected my rods enroute to Mexico a couple times.

You guys rock! Pipe insulation and a bazooka case it is!

Can't beat the helpfulness of BR!!!

Call your Depot to see if it is available. I saw on the news it's in short supply down south due to the frigid weather causing lots of burst pipes.

Tanks RW! Looks like I might be picking up one of those, do you have any personal experiance with them? Is it just hollow inside? Or are there clamps or compartments for individual rods? Or do you just put a rod sleeve on a stuff as many as you can inside? ;D

Either way it looks ideal, thanks again guys

I own this one http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44292_100004002_100000000_100004000_100-4-2.  It works well; I think any of the ones made for this will work well.  It comes down to how many rods you want to carry and how long they are.  Pay attention to the specs and pick what appeals to you in the way of latches and such.  Keep in mind that the airlines may open it to check what is inside.  Don't make the padding so complicated that they can't get it back together quickly.

Like to hear what some of you guys have used to transport rods longer than 7' on planes and such

thanks

I went to lowes and bought a four inch pvc pipe. painted it black and attached a BPS rod tube strap. thw whole thing cost me maybe 30$ and it holds 6 rods very easy. i wrap the tips in buble wrap and then shiped the whole thing to korea... worked great not a scratch on any of the rods