Sign in to follow this  
dead eye

Trilene Sensation Line

Any one tried this line, will the 6, 8 , or 10 lb test work on spinning gear? Looking for a non fluoro for my spinning.

This is a decent line imo, middle of the road at best. For spinning gear you will find trilene xl to be easier to manage. McCoys Mean Green is another great line to pair with spinning gear. My advice would be to just buy a few different brands of line and use which ever one suits your needs the best.

Whatever line you use on spinning reels. Depends on the size of the reel. A 2500 for example 10lb would be max..I use anywhere from 4 to 8 lb depending on what I want to do..i.e. if the water is clear, and the fishing is tough, I'll use 4lb fluro, stained, I usually use 6 lb, 8 ln if there's a tad more cover ect.

On a size 4000 you can get away with 10 easy, if you feel the need to use it, i.e. heavy cover, rocks ect.

Personally, if I need to go to 10lb, I'll break out the baitcaster..for most situations.

Oh....haven't used that, I do like the YoZuri Hybrid Ultrasoft though..

I will be useing it on a Quantum Catalyst PT 30, will be used for small crankbaits and experimenting with drop-shot rig. This reel will handle 10lb. but most likely will use the 8lb.

you might want to try P-line CXX in 6# test line , i use it on my 2500 size reels with no problem . even in 6# , the line is very strong and excellent for drop shotting and weightless plastics ....  ;)

Sensation is a good line. It has very good break strength to diameter ratio, meaning it's pretty thin for it's break strength. It handles very well. It's touted as a low stretch line which is advertised to offer greater sensitivity. It also likely means it's break point is likely to come up quick, compared to softer stretchier lines like XL, and "shock resistant" formulas like Big Game, and now XT. I believe XT used to be a low stretch, from tests I did years ago, but it's been reformulated. I remember it only stretched so far, then POP!. I assume Sensation is this way but I've not tested it.

I liked Sensation when I used it, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. As with any line, pick one and get to know it. Lotsa good choices out there now.

I've used 10# Sensation on a Daiwa 2500-size reel and it performed well, not noticeably better or worse than other monos I've used, such as Stren and Trilene.

About 20 years back, a Berkley representative was quoted as saying

that XL and XT enjoy enormous popularity, but according to Berkley in-house studies

'Trilene Sensation' was their best line. This line was originally called "Sensithin",

but to invigorate sales it was renamed "Sensation" (apparently to little avail).

Roger