Sign in to follow this  
Luke at Gouldsboro

what to do with old unused fishing line?

Like every angler, I change my line a couple times a year. I have about 10 spools (not full) of line that are a year to two years old, and i don't want to put them on my reels. Does anyone have any uses for old fishing line? I know the whole planet is trying to be "green".

Use it to back your reels. This way you aren't filling the bottom half of your spools with expensive braid, or flourocarbon.

I even use backing when filling with Y/Z Hybrid. It's not that expensive, but there just isn't any point in wasting it.

As for disposing of it..I'm not sure what the best option is. I think it's GREAT someone actually thinks about things like this though.

I just toss it in the trash. But before I do I wrap it into the tightest ball that I can, and then tie the ends around it so it doesn't come undone.

Using it for backing is the best way to go IMO. You already paid for it, why throw it away ?

If you do decide to get rid of it, put it in a container like an empty milk jug so nothing can get caught up in it.

Sell them to someone for a cheap price. Others might need it or donate it.

One more question since Wayne P. explained backing the reel with great details. Does it matter what # test you use under your good line. For example, is it okay to use 8# mono, flouro, etc. under 20# flouro? So, is it the smaller diameter the better underneath or stick with the same # test and line throughout?

rednaticat, it doesn't make any difference. All you are doing is taking up space. It just takes more of the smaller line than it does of the larger line to take up that space.

I like the idea of backing my spool, One question though. Say your spool holds 200 yards of line, how many yards of backing should you put on before the fresh line? oh and what knot do you use to join them?

Recycleing line:..if your city has recycleing bins..stuff your used line into a milk carton/bottle or something.

If you don't have line for backing, but the cheapest stuff you can get. Personally, I like to keep the 2 lines as close as possible, i.e. 10lb backing, 8 to 12 lb top shot.

I like the idea of backing my spool, One question though. Say your spool holds 200 yards of line, how many yards of backing should you put on before the fresh line? oh and what knot do you use to join them?

I have always put on around 100 yards of "good" line in the past, but when I spool up this year I am only going to use maybe 60-70 yards on most of my reels. I never use that much. I use a blood knot to join similar lines.

http://www.netknots.com/html/blood_knot.html

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I put mine in a grocey bag and it goes to a local mom and pop's store that has a bin for "used" line.So they most like send it to the recycling center.