Sign in to follow this  
bigbass49

Whats the right size spinning reel?

I am trying to find the right size spinning reel to match up with my st.croix mojo 7' med action rod. I looking at daiwa's  2500 and 3000 so I could use some input.

Either imho..I prefer the 2500. I use 4 to 8 lb line, and the 2500 holds enough for my needs.

Go with the 2500..I have a Tierra and love it,one of the few Daiwa's I have.

T

Both the 2500 & 3000 will hold plenty of line especially if it's braid.  The primary difference between the 2 is ipt & weight of the 2 reels, also the 3000's (in most models) have stronger drag, but if the drag is set where it should be I don't it's a deal maker or breaker.

For me the question I ask my self is what am I going to target and where am I fishing?  If I'm fishing primarily freshwater I'd go with the 2500, if an occasional salt trip is planned I'd get 3000.

Both the 2500 & 3000 will hold plenty of line especially if it's braid. The primary difference between the 2 is ipt & weight of the 2 reels, also the 3000's (in most models) have stronger drag, but if the drag is set where it should be I don't it's a deal maker or breaker.

For me the question I ask my self is what am I going to target and where am I fishing? If I'm fishing primarily freshwater I'd go with the 2500, if an occasional salt trip is planned I'd get 3000.

X2.

I use 6lb and 8lb line on all 4 of my 2500 spinning reels. It's a perfect size.

Go with the reel that balances to YOUR feel. Either will work.

x2

The weight of the reel and how the combo balances in the hand is more important the the size of the reel, imho. A lot of 7'+ rods are tip-heavy and would most likley balance better with a larger/heavier reel.

Balance the biggest spool against with lightest weight.

What they said 8-) With a 7' rod, the larger size reel will probably balance the overall package better. Plus, you usually can't go wrong by using the widest spool diameter you can get away with, at least when it comes to line management, especially with fluorocarbon.

-T9

Both the 2500 & 3000 will hold plenty of line especially if it's braid. The primary difference between the 2 is ipt & weight of the 2 reels, also the 3000's (in most models) have stronger drag, but if the drag is set where it should be I don't it's a deal maker or breaker.

For me the question I ask my self is what am I going to target and where am I fishing? If I'm fishing primarily freshwater I'd go with the 2500, if an occasional salt trip is planned I'd get 3000.

I agree. I am using 3,000 because I will fish for sea bass few times a year, and 2,500 is enough for freshwater.

Either would be fine. Balance is the key and I would put the reel on the rod and check for balance and comfort.

I'm with the "use the reel that balances best" crowd. I have one seven foot rod with a Stradic 4000 because that is what felt right on that rod. Yes, there are other ways to adjust the balance, but I prefer to buy a reel that fits right in the first place.