Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

Are there any good swimbait rods in the 7' and under range?

Im looking into a swimbait setup and can't fit anything over 7' in my car. Are there any cheap(under $100) rods that could work for tossing swimbaits around 1/2oz-2oz? Thanks in advance!

Nothing I know of under 7'..most guys prefer 7'6" and longer for better casting, i.e. longer cast's.

If your going to be throwing 2oz baits, like a 6" hudd ect. I think you might find it hard to get your bait "Out" there, so I would say your probably going to have to go with a 7'6"..in that range, the Okuma Guide Series is hard to beat at 109.99 at TW free shipping, the one would would want is the 7'6" MHf..rated 1 to 3ozs..with the right reel, you may be able to throw 1/2oz baits.

This is where it becomes specailized.. :)

Oh..almost forgot, Okuma has a telescopic version too.

Yeh nothing under 7' is gonna work for you.  I don't think there is any rod under 7' that can handle 2oz lures. Good luck though. Maybe strap it to the top of your car.....!  8-)

What kind of car do you have? My buddy has a Civic and we get 7+' rods in there. My car is a Mazda 6 and I can easily fit an 8' rod.

Good Swimbait rod and under 7ft don't go together. That's like a skinny fat girl.

I have a pretty small car, Scion tC and I manage to fit 10-15 rods all 7'6-8ft in there. Curious to know what kind of car you have that can't fit a 7'6-8ft.

I'd invest in a Rod Glove or stick jacket that way it's ok if you hit things inside your car with it. Your guides won't catch and rip off.

What kind of car do you have? My buddy has a Civic and we get 7+' rods in there. My car is a Mazda 6 and I can easily fit an 8' rod.

Mazda 6 are money. I could get my fly rod at 9' if needed.

I saw in the bps catalog that some 7'6" rods have a retractable butt section. Don't know how much it would help, but it may a little.

I have a camry. I usually take a buddy with me in the car so there is not really room for anything over 7, well if I dont want to keep hitting him in the face with the rod tip.  The way I lay them out in my car is the backseat down and the rods placed in the trunk through the cabin and it sits perfectly behind the front seat(my rods range from 6'6"-7'.  I guess I can figure out a way to do it. Maybe a rod under 7'6" possibly 7'3"?

put the reels and rods in from the passenger seat, with the butts of the rods and the reels next to your buddy's left leg/ knee. Unless he's Andre the Giant, he should have enough room. Camry is bigger than my car, and I can easily fit 6-7 rods with someone riding shotty.

Maybe he has a Porche... :)

Yeah... I wish...

But seriously though I think based upon what everyone else has said about their rides, I could try and finagle a legit swimbait rod in there.  Ok, the car problem is solved. What about the rod? I saw a Abu Garcia Vengeance rod thats 49 bucks and its 7'6" HF is that a good start for a first swimbait rod?

If I can stick a 7'6" rod in the cab of my truck..you get one in your car..lol

Dude, I'd seriously go with the okuma..it's affordable, comes with a decent warranty. And alot of guys use them...do you want to trust a 49.00 rod to toss a 30.00 bait..? Pony up.. :)

I like the Okuma guide series big bait rods. They can be had at just over $100.

If I can stick a 7'6" rod in the cab of my truck..you get one in your car..lol

Dude, I'd seriously go with the okuma..it's affordable, comes with a decent warranty. And alot of guys use them...do you want to trust a 49.00 rod to toss a 30.00 bait..? Pony up.. :)

What about this rod?

http://www.***.com/Okuma_EVX-A_Casting_Rods/descpage-OEVXCR.html#

its 89.99 and is telescopic but im not sure where... the pic looks like it telescopes just above the reel seat.

This looks like a decent rod.

Exactly..that rod is only rated for 1 1/4oz..Trust me, once you start to get into swimbaiting..you'll try to sell it the first chance you get..spring for the extra 30.00 and get a rod you will want to keep, and enjoy with a varity of baits.

BPS Walleye Signature Series Trolling rods are 7'6 inches and 8 foot but are telescoping rods. I know the 7'6" rod can be retracted down to less than seven foot. I can carry it in the cab of my Ford Ranger with the butt in the floor and the tip behind my seat. The eight might do it as well. It not a swimbait rod per the label but it's what I use and they are rated to three ounces. They retail for around seventy dollars.

Thre is one that I know of.  It measures 6'9" and is rated to 3.5 oz.  Unforunatley, it does not meet your price point.  :)  Megabass Mephisto.

Thre is one that I know of. It measures 6'9" and is rated to 3.5 oz. Unforunatley, it does not meet your price point. :) Megabass Mephisto.

Unfortunately it doesn't meet a lot of peoples price range.

the Okuma already mentioned would be a very good entry level rod. i throw 6" Huds a mile with a 705 Powell rod, and it only cost $20.00 more than the Okuma, and i think would be a better all around rod.

I use a BPS Extreme 7'6" H telescoping rod.  It compresses down to about 6'6" and can throw 2 oz baits as well.