Sign in to follow this  
BucketBuster

Different Knots for Different Presentations?

My grandfather taught me how to tie a uni knot when I started fishing and I have been tying it ever since. However, when reading about the uni knot, I found that since the knot passes over itself, your chances of having a line break increase, which makes sense. So, are there certain knots for certain presentations? For example: jigs, t-rigs, crankbaits, c-rigs, etc or is there one universal knot that is sufficient and is still able to maintain its strength better than a uni knot. Thanks for the help.

Hey, great question I was going to post about the same thing.  I have a Field and Stream around my house that talks about the strongest knots within each different class of knots.  I know that might not make sense, but I do remeber them mentioning a Rapala knot is the strongest of "free-swimming," baits and I use that type of knot for crankbaits, lipless cranks, basically anything that has a "swimming," action to it.  I am going to try and find that issue of Field and Stream to clarify in another post to this thread. 

I became curious after watching that Worlds Strongest Knot show on Versus, and I did a little research and found that a polomar knot is effective, and the rapala knot which you mentioned. I just want to take a survey and see what kinds of knots people use for different techniques. Although I've always heard the strongest knot is the one that you tie best or something like that.

I use the palomar knot for everything! Braid, mono, and flourocarbon. It's never failed for me.

There are a few top quality knots, so I say go with the one that you can tie the most consistently and comfortably.

I'm most comfortable tying an improved clinch knot, so thats what I use with all lines aside from braid. With braid, I use a palomar.

i use the improved clinch knot for everything , yes, including braid , the only other knots i use are the uni-to-uni for joining two lines together (leaders) and the palomar , for drop-shotting .

Anybody got a picture of the "loop knot"?  I hear it's great for topwater walkers.  I always use an improved clinch.  Even for tying 2 lines together.  It works great.  Just make the knot once with the loop still open, then tie the other one inside the loop like the eye of a hook, and pull tight.

I use the "uni-knot" for everything, hence the name universal knot.

I've been tying uni-knots for more than 40 years, in both fresh and saltwater.

We all know anglers who attach their lure via some pet knot

but join two lines together using a uni-knot to uni-knot.

Whether they know it or not, they too are relying on the uni-knot. :;)

Roger

for a universale, i use the polymer knot.  i have yet to have it slip on me.