Sign in to follow this  
1hook

what kind of specs to look for in a spinning rod used for soft plastics...?

I'm looking to buy a spinning rod that i'll be using this year to fish creeks for smallmouth.  The main creek i fish is about 5 to 15 feet deep depending on what hole your in and  I'll be using rubber worms and such so i want to get a rod tailored to this type of fishing.  I'm just wondering what the right specs are for this kind of a rod.  i'm thinking like a 7 foot medium fast action?  I'm not too educated on spinning gear so any help would be appreciated.  thanks

if you dont plan on using jigs or weights heavier than a 1/4oz, id get a medium power, fast action. extra fast action would be a nice choice as long as the tip is not too soft...

for creeks id go shorter than 7' to avoid branches and get a little more accuracy. a shorter length will also make it easier to skip baits under branches.

6 1/2' - 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action or XF.

Look at the specs on the St. Croix Website

for the Avid AVS68MXF. Even if this is not

the rod you choose, it will help you evaluate

others you might consider.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/avid-series-spinning

8-)

I fish primarily from the bank in the Northeast.  When I was younger, I did a lot of brook fishing for trout where there was a lot of brush along the banks.

If your creeks are open and free of brush and overhanging trees, a 6'6" or longer rod will be fine.  However, if you are casting around trees, bushes, tall grass, etc. you first may want a shorter rod with a short handle that is convenient for casting one-handed around obstacles while simultaneously balancing on three toes :)  In some ways, I still think like a "brook trout" guy.

Leon

I fish primarily from the bank in the Northeast. When I was younger, I did a lot of brook fishing for trout where there was a lot of brush along the banks.

If your creeks are open and free of brush and overhanging trees, a 6'6" or longer rod will be fine. However, if you are casting around trees, bushes, tall grass, etc. you first may want a shorter rod with a short handle that is convenient for casting one-handed around obstacles while simultaneously balancing on three toes :) In some ways, I still think like a "brook trout" guy.

Leon

x2 Med or Med-Lt/fast in chosen length