Sign in to follow this  
curls00

Braid digging in and causing backlashes

On my Curado (201DHSV) I currently have some Spiderwire 25lb (maybe 20 but I think 25) green braid.  It was originally put on last spring but this spring I "reversed" it so the less-used stuff is at the top now.

However, I've noticed that every time I set the hook or give the rod a jerk to free the lure/bait from weeds, the next pitch or cast will result in a backlash and a lot of swearing.  The braid is seemingly digging into itself on the hookset/jerk and is causing problems.

Is this mainly due to the thin diameter, or is it because the braid is old and may have "flattened out" on the spool?

If anything I guess I could go up to 40# on this rod and use a fluoro leader (as I do with this Spiderwire anyhow).  What are your suggestions and explanations as to what to use, and why this is happening?

Thanks!

you probably want to up it to 50 but 40 will defiantly not dig in as much. you got to remember 20lb braid is about the same diameter as 6lb mono so its pretty then 50 is about the same as 12lb

I can get a good deal on Daiwa Samurai Braid, 40#.  I run 70# Samurai braid on my other 2 rods (my heavy cover jig rod, and my frog/slop rod).  I love this stuff -- so soft and ROUND!  I think the Spiderwire has flattened out.

Maybe 50#... will research a bit and see what would work best.

Thanks!

It sounds like you didn't wind the line on with tension when you reversed it. If it didn't do that before you reversed it, that is your problem. The only superline of any brand I have had digging in problems with is the very slick finish Invisibraid. Of cousre I don't use any in less than 30# on baitcasting gear. The best handling size is the 50#.

I've never seen or heard of any Spiderwire superline available in 25#, it's either 20# or 30#. Actually, I dont' know of any superline that is available in 25#

It sounds like you didn't wind the line on with tension when you reversed it. If it didn't do that before you reversed it, that is your problem. The only superline of any brand I have had digging in problems with is the very slick finish Invisibraid. Of cousre I don't use any in less than 30# on baitcasting gear. The best handling size is the 50#.

I've never seen or heard of any Spiderwire superline available in 25#, it's either 20# or 30#. Actually, I dont' know of any superline that is available in 25#

I agree with Wayne P.

Wayne, just for reference:

http://www.***.com/Lucky_Craft_Iron_Athlete_Braided_Line/descpage-LCIAB.html

It's the only one I know of...

Spooling the line with tension on it will help, but <30lb braid will tend to dig in. 20# will work fine on a spinning reel.

Spooling the line with tension on it will help, but <30lb braid will tend to dig in. 20# will work fine on a spinning reel.

+1. Try a 40-50 lb. braid which is the equivalent diameter of 10 or 12 lb. nylon line and there won't be any issues with baitcasting tackle.

Thanks everyone. Pretty much what I expected was the problem, you confirmed it to be.

I'll be picking up some 40 or 50# Samurai braid this week before this weekends' club tournament.

Cheers,

Eric

I started using KVD lure and line conditioner on my braid last year and it really helped cut down on the backlashes.

If you have ever read the little booklet that comes with Power Pro braid, it mentions this problem specifically. Basically every once in a while push on your reel, if it feels slightly squishee, make an extra long cast and when you reel in, put tension on it with your fingers. it helps for me! ;D

you have 2 problems.

1)can the spiderwire and use fireline braid or diawa samurai

2)never use less than 50 lb test or 12 lb diameter braid on a baitcaster.