Sign in to follow this  
BASSclary

Spinning reel cuts

So, one of the reasons I dont like spinning gear is because I always get line cuts in my index finger from casting. Is there a good way to prevent this?

Over the summer I bought a finger gaurd, which is doing wonders, but when holding my rod I feel im losing sensitivity because im not directly putting my finger on the blank/rod.

I know its not the type of line im using, because it happens with mono, fluoro, and braid.

Does anybody else have this problem? How do you guys deal with it?

I'm most certain its not my skin because I have really thick, tough skin.

thanks,

Collin

I'm not sure I can give you a decent answer.  I've been fishing spinning rods basically my entire life.  Before I got into Bass fishing, it was the only type of rod I used besides large conventional trolling gear.  I've never had a cut on my finger from casting.  I've done stupid stuff like hold the line in the bend of my index finger and had fish run out line burning my fingers, but nothing on the actual cast.

(wimpy hands!  ;D)

Wow, I 've never had that problem nor has anyone I know, and I've been using spinning gear for nearly 50 years!

Note: I really only seem to be having this problem with 3/16 ounce lures and above.

I think your release/timing is off, causing the line to cut into your finger.

Good theory, but I dont thing that is the problem because I get that perfect arch in the line when casting. My mind is pickeled by my predicament.

Possibly, i'll have to take some practice casts tommorow in the yard.

I hold the line on my fingertip when i cast, not on the middle of my pointer finger. Maybe try casting with the tip of your finger? I can bring it back, or even shake the tip and it doesn't slip off my finger, but i've been casting like that for like 15 years. I started out using a spinning reel, skipped the spincast.

It's something you're doing wrong. I use spinning gear exclusively and have never experienced your problem.

Unlike "bass or bass ?", I won't mention how many years I've used spinning reels. :) :)

Spinning reels are all my Dad ever used. They are all my brothers use. Never heard of anyone cutting cutting their finger from casting. Absolutely no idea how you can. Would be interested in knowing what you find out. If you discover why. :)

One thing I find a little amusing is that, while no one seems to have this problem but me, they sell finger guards for this problem. Here are some pics of the finger guard I use...

eceae2ab-a4a8-429d-882a-426e72be501e.jpg

0fd339ba-2f42-454d-a78e-5a8121de64f5.jpg

83076e49-ec19-4954-9ee6-ae945476a19d.jpg

Its a great little thing for a dollar I purchased at the outer banks. I believe the gray part is Nubuck? Dont quote me though. And the red part is a stretchy cloth. It was only a dollar while I was at the outer banks this summer so I picked it up.

A theory that im thinking of is my 2 handed power casting with spinning equipment. Does anybody else do this? :-?

One thing I find a little amusing is that, while no one seems to have this problem but me, they sell finger guards for this problem. Here are some pics of the finger guard I use...

eceae2ab-a4a8-429d-882a-426e72be501e.jpg

0fd339ba-2f42-454d-a78e-5a8121de64f5.jpg

83076e49-ec19-4954-9ee6-ae945476a19d.jpg

Its a great little thing for a dollar I purchased at the outer banks. I believe the gray part is Nubuck? Dont quote me though. And the red part is a stretchy cloth. It was only a dollar while I was at the outer banks this summer so I picked it up.

A theory that im thinking of is my 2 handed power casting with spinning equipment. Does anybody else do this? :-?

I use a two handed cast all the time and just don't have the problem you seem to be having.

those guards are for tossing huge lead weights from the surf.

i agree with above, youre holding it wrong. the weight of the lure should be keeping the line on your finger tip throughout the entire cast. right on the exposed area of your last pic.

So just to clarify, I want the line between the blue and green lines, not in the red area.

post-28262-13016292916_thumb.jpg

I 've got line cuts to my hands by doing stupid things like trying to unsnag a lure by pulling the line with my bare hand but from casting with a spinning reel ---> not once in more than 3 and a half decades.

If you're holding it to the right of the blue line, in the crease of your joint, there's your problem.  Thinner, softer skin with none of the friction surface that's on the pad of your index finger, where the line should be resting. If braid or even mono slips through there, it'll cut you quick, and it'll hurt.

So yeah, you're doing it wrong.  :)

Thanks guys  :) really appreciate it! I had no idea I was holding the line wrong and i'm really looking forward to being able to cast without cuts and fingergaurds  :)

Nice graphics BC... definitely the green line.

:)

Yes, I have not only heard of it but it has happened to me.

I purchased some of the rubber finger protectors that look like little condoms, which of course my wife had to make a comment about them being too big for me.

I don't use them any more but my index finger does get cuts when I use a spinning rig all day long.

I have chalked it up to being a part of fishing and put some Neosporin on my finger for a few days.  :)

Don't spool your reel with concertina wire.  Problem solved.