Sign in to follow this  
sealer

palomar knot question

when tying a polamar knot with a small hook eye - whats the easiest way to get the doubled line through the eye ?

thanks, dennis

Easiest way is to pass the line thru not doubled over, pull a long tag then take the tag and and go back thru the hookeye the opposite way as the first time. Just be sure not to pull it the whole way thru again. This way you don't have to force the doubled over line into the small hole.

Don't double it up first.  String the hook up.  Pinch the hook and line in one hand, and bring the tag end back through.  You should have no trouble with this method, and your knots will be better since you aren't pinching the line.  I use it on 8# line and #6 hooks without problems.

Easiest way is to pass the line thru not doubled over, pull a long tag then take the tag and and go back thru the hookeye the opposite way as the first time. Just be sure not to pull it the whole way thru again. This way you don't have to force the doubled over line into the small hole.

Exactly  :)

I have a question about tightening the knot.  Is it best to pull the tag, the line, or both? I wet the knot, but it still curls when I tighten it down.  So I have been pulling the tag to preserve the main line.  However this seems to waste a lot of line, especially if I am tying on a large crank.

What is the best way to pull it tight?

Pull both, at first. Once the main line loop is snug, pull only the tag. The kink should be on the tag that cut off. If its on the mainline, before the hook, start over.

Pull both, at first. Once the main line loop is snug, pull only the tag. The kink should be on the tag that cut off. If its on the mainline, before the hook, start over.

Is that what makes the knot weak and pop?

It weakens the line above the hook.  Twists in the line and too much heat usually make a weak knot.

If the line has crossover it will cut into itself and break almost every time.