Sign in to follow this  
bassbob08

west tn.

Every Saturday that TVA releases enough water, I fish the Tennessee River below Pickwick Dam. We had good water this weekend and caught around forty fish, but only eight smallmouth.

If your question was really more about pond fishing, the bass are still slow, but starting to come on. The best producer right now is Rat-L-Traps. I might update this post later today, I'm heading out in a few minutes and will be fishing a VibraSpin this morning.

8-)

I cant fish big water my motor is not woking and cant afford to fix it,so i stay in small water for now.havent been out yet but plan to soon.thanks for the info.Bob

I got out before this last little cold spell and did OK. Just getting to go this time of year is a kick. It don't take a whole lot of sun to warm up small lakes or ponds. Might try and go tomorrow if the weather holds ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

I'm headin out on Kentucky Lake this weekend for the first time this year. I was kinda wonderin the same thing on how they are bitin right now.

Welcome aboard!

We have quite a few folks on board that fish your water. I fish the Tennessee River below Pickwick Dam, technically Kentucky Lake!

8-)

I've been a few times.

Small fruitjar on KY Lake a few weeks ago.  Just 5 or 6 boats.  9 lbs. won.  

Club tourney at Pickwick Lake last weekend.  8 boats.  14 lbs. won.

Gibson County Lake Monday.  Very strong winds.  No hits.

Going again this Saturday.  

Good luck.

I caught the first fish of 08 today in a little pond close to home. They were both small. Going to Gibson Saturday morning. I will be there when the gates open!

WELCOME to the forums from another of the great state of TN...

As Ever,

skillet  

I still havent been out yet work keeps be tied up a lot and i do a bit of taxidermy so its been kind of hard to get out.But i think its time to at least get things ready to go.Im about to tell them all to kiss my im going

I'd say from the results of the Birdsong fruit jar my partner and I fished today, you need to get to Ky. Lake soon, just don't ask us where to fish.  We just had between 8 and 9 lbs. today.  

Seventeen boats in the tourney.  Water temps were 42-44 degrees, except in the steam plant, where it was 57 degrees.  3rd place was 20 + lbs, 2nd was 23+ and 1st place had 24.25 lbs.  Big fish was 7.22 lbs.  

That's the biggest sack I've ever seen from the TN river, not to mention water temp, air temp (around 38-40), falling water and post frontal conditions.  

Maybe I need to follow my father's advice and start golfing again.   ;)

Mike

I went to Gibson county lake yesterday morning. My partner caught one i could not get it together for nothing. Just one of those days. I probly should have been throwing a crank bait but didn't. I have a question. How do you know when their are tournys and where do i need to be watching for them.

The biggest 5 fish stringer I know of on Ky.Lake was over 38 lbs. by Mike Terry back in the 90s.

The jerkbait bite is really coming on strong on some days. I predict here in the next 2 weeks the prespawn will be on!

I plan on hitting the water March 2. I'll be glad to report.

CJ

I've only been out in West Tn once so far this year. I hit Beach Lake about three weekends ago and landed this monster while dragging a football jig    :o

post-6001-130162940607_thumb.jpg

"dragging a jig" I'll be d****d. That must have been a kick!!!

As Ever,

skillet

I caught a nice 20 lb. carp at Pine Lake last summer They were hitting lizards (still don't know what the bass were hitting).

I made it out to Beech and Pin Oak a few weeks ago and only caught a couple of keepers.

Whats that Pine Lake like? I've fished Beech, Pin Oak, Red Bud and Dogwood, but never made it over to Pine. Is it deeper like Pin Oak, or kinda flat and shallow more like Red Bud?

Pine Lake is a neat little fishery.  It is fairly shallow, sort of like Beech except the docks are wooden posts, not pontoon.  There is much more development on the lake and the docks are real good for flipping.  A lot of big fish are caught there every year.  There is also undeveloped coves that are real shallow that are good for bedding bass.  Many of the anglers I know prefer Pine over the other lakes because it seems like every fish you catch is real good quality keeper.

WELCOME to the forums!!! Just north of you...

As Ever,

skillet

Whats that Pine Lake like? I've fished Beech, Pin Oak, Red Bud and Dogwood, but never made it over to Pine. Is it deeper like Pin Oak, or kinda flat and shallow more like Red Bud?

If I have my lakes correct (I get confused on Pine Lake and Pin Oak) then Pine Lake is generally more shallow than the other's, lot's...lot's...LOT'S of boat houses, GREAT looking lake, never caught a thing in it...but I know they are there!

if i can get a good day im thinking of going to gibbson this coming monday,I hope the water is up.I went last year and could not get my boat in what a waste of time that was.

it is high enough to get ur boat in. I went two weeks ago and it was fine. I could drive around all right at the ramp with no problem. Got a tourny there the 29th of this month come join us.