Sign in to follow this  
Castamasta

frog techniques??

what would be the ideal conditions for fishing a frog: weather, cover...ect

and what are sucsessful retrieves for a frog?

ive never really gotten around to fishin with one and it looks like a lot of fun

Get a variety of them.  The ones that swim(soft plastic) and the ones that have legs and are more for slop(built in hooks).  Weeds are best for me.  A little or a lot of weeds, doesnt matter, are the best place to fish them.  The slop ones, make the frog look like it is swimming.  Short movements.  The soft plastic ones either burn them on the top or reel them very slowly on the top.  These are some good techniques for starters.

for the "slop" frogs i like to give the rod a small pull and then let it rest or make the frog twitch or shake a little in place.

As the other poster stated, weeds are very vital.  The best weeds that work for me are the broken up slimy weeds that grow over and stick to hydrilla.  You can use a frog in other places such as near a laydown but the weeds are your best bet.  

I found the most success using the frogs during the heat of summer.  You usually won't catch them at noon but if you are on the water first thing in the morning or just as the sun starts setting you will be in the action.  

Bass can and will strike at just about any time during the retrieve but the most likely time is at odd places in the weeds.  Anywhere there is a cut-in or little hole in the weeds, I like to run the frog up to that point and then pause.  You can just feel the bass watching.  Once I hop him off the weedy spot onto the open hole, I pretend I am that frog trying to get the hell outta there!  That is usually where the strike occurs.  

The best retrieve in my opinion is the 3 hop.  Hop it three short rod jerks and then pause.  

If you really think about it, put yourself in the place of the prey and act as it would act.  

In my opinion, most of the frogs are created equal.  The Bronzeye, swamp donkey and sumo are all basically the same thing.  I trim the skirt legs back a bit to avoid short strikes.  You will need a stout rod, MH or H and braid to cut through the weeds.  When the fish explodes on the lure you will have to experiment with the hookset, this is the most difficult part.  I like to wait until a two count, reel in the slack and give em hell.  Some people reel in the slack until they feel the fish but usually when I do this the fish spits the lure.  

J

I fish a lot of frogs exclusively in lily pads at Round Lake, NY.  I use both the hollow bodied and soft bodied variety.  

Equipment: 7' Heavy Fast rod, 6.1 or faster geared baitcaster, 30-50 lb braid.  Owner twistlock 4/0 or 5/0 hooks.  

Conditions:  Cloud cover and wind gets these fish charged up.  The pads eat up a lot of the ripples and waves.  I'll throw the softbodied variety in these conditions.  I like to get the legs kicking and then let it die in a hole and sit for awhile.  Strikes occur throughout this process, usually on the stop or start.

When it's bright out, I'll slow it down and try a hollowbodied frog first.  When I say slow down, I really like to hop em into an open pocket and just let it sit for a long while.  If they aren't taking that presentation off the surface, then I'll go to a soft toad or a worm.

Remember to really feel the fish and then swing hard.  There's a lot of grass, plastic, and fish to get a big hook through.

Good Luck

Any time fish are active in shallow water, and hitting top waters like buzzbaits and such is a perfect time to throw a plastic frog like a horny toad.

The best frog bait on the market is the Spro. Any type of heavy veg. or cover submerged in water is a good place to fish a frog. Just run straight back to you. I'll change up the speed sometimes. It seems that at certain points, they won't strike it until you speed it up or stop it. You just have to play around with it and try different techniques.

In my experience weather and conditions really don't have that big of an effect. I think the bass can see the frog better through the veg. or sunny days, but I still get plenty of strikes on cloudy days too. Just depends are where ya throw it.

Good luck.

Early morning or late evenings near the shorelines or near surface moss beds and or points in relatively shallow water. Now those are some pretty good conditions. Enough talk, Let's fish!

had a lot of excitement with frogs and some really spectacular strikes!. They work best as other said, in weeds and surface vegetation. You throw the frog on top of the weeds (weedless), move it a little bit so bass could detect it, let it sit for a few seconds and when you twitch it a bit you ll probably get a surface strike if there is a bass below ;).

ideal conditions see below

bladderwort.jpg

70046823.JPG

They work AWESOME in open water as well.

You can throw a frog anywhere...

I can never get the frog bite.

I hear ya man. From bass anyway. The last time I spent much time throwing one was a Bull Ribbit that the pickerel were going berserk over. The place was lousy with them and I wasn't getting any bass bites so I kept working the frog and enjoyed the show.

Fortunately I had packed my gloves.

I'd say your climate has a lot to do with it.  The further south you go, it seems the better.  Though I know northern guys that catch em on frogs.  

I guess it also depends on your lake's cover.

J

Stanley Ribbit as a jig trailer  ;)

i live in mn and catch them on frogs alot. i use them midsummer around noon and work them slow around some thick weeds and get them to bite when nothing else will

Stanley Ribbit as a jig trailer ;)

Hmmm, that sounds more like a secret than a suggestion  :D

Did I hear Sizmic Toad?

Roger

Lots of great frog fishing coming up. Will get better and better as the summer comes on. Hard frogs, hollow frogs and soft plastic frogs are all good. My favorite is Rage Tail Toad cause you can run it slow for one sound and action and run it fast for buzz bait action. Enough talk, let's fish.