Sign in to follow this  
wdy77

Strike king   KING SHAD

Ok this lure is a little high priced- Does anybody like them?

And what color would you buy if you could only buy ONE! :-/

I like them.  But I've only fished them a couple of times.  I got one strike, and some hungry looks from an osprey.  They look like that have nice actions.  I'm going to give them a better workout this year.

For me, I'd get the gizzard shad or the tennessee shad.  The tennessee shad looks like alewife, which is a major forage fish where I fish.  

I dont like the action on this lure.I think it looks mechanical.I havent even caught a glance from a fish after fishing with them extensively.

IMO its a wannabe swimbait,but admittingly, I dont know jack about swimbaits anyway either.

Different baits work in different waters so I may not be applying it to the correct situations...... nice colors though.

I bought the Red Eye Shad in smoke color with rattles. It has been amazing!!!!! The bass are KILLING it.

Gonna buy a couple more tomorrow!!

ajr

Bought one in all white.  I sprinkled on some glitter & added a red size 2 treble on the front & a size 2 feathered treble on back.  I like the action, but it does not dive too deep, maybe up to 3'.  It works pretty good twitching it as a topwater.  I have to say that it does not cast that well, even though it's 1 oz.  Bought it at Cabelas for $15, now they don't have that special deal.

I am probably going to get the Sexy Shad color also.  Something tells me that this is going to be a very good lure, it's just the time right now that it's not working.  Maybe in the next few weeks when the weather warms up....

I do not have one but I want one! They are very expensive though.

$15-20 is very expensive? :-?

*** sells the same bait under the ABT brand for a few dollars cheaper if I recall correctly.

I got one strike, and some hungry looks from an osprey.

How cool would it be to catch an osprey!?  Would you use braided line for that?  It would be a whole new sport.

fished a sexy shad all day the other day did not get a bite. finally about three in the afternoon i cast into a submerged tree and the tail section broke off right where the jiont is.  nice price, cheap lure. pulled out the spinnerbait and proceded to catch fish.

fished a sexy shad all day the other day did not get a bite. finally about three in the afternoon i cast into a submerged tree and the tail section broke off right where the joint is.

Not too sexy ;)

I got one strike, and some hungry looks from an osprey.

How cool would it be to catch an osprey!? Would you use braided line for that? It would be a whole new sport.

Wouldn't want to have to take the hooks out. That bird would be pi**ed. If there was a way,so, the bird wouldn't get injured I would like to see the video.

IMO its a wannabe swimbait

But in reality it is a shallow diving jointed cank/rip bait. I have had a lot of luck with the bait at night. I like the Japanese Shad pattern. ABT is the original manufacture of this bait, along with the Kong. Guys from Strike King liked them so much they worked up a marketing deal with ABT.

never thought of using it at night :-/ good idea ;) I'll try...

So Infidel what is the most productive way to fish this thing anyway.Rippin or crankin??

I own 2 of them and got to catch something someday on it LoL

I've had a King Shad for about 5 months now but haven't gotten around to fishing it except for the first day I got it. After reading this thread last week I decided to pull it out tonight and chunk it around the pond in my backyard at dusk. Only landed one, but luckily it was a decent size one:

1stKingShadBass4-7-08.jpg

To those that think these baits are too big, even the smaller 4-lb Bass will hit them. Just make sure you have heavy enough line and a tight knot because they are expensive to lose. I say that because I tied it onto my 8-lb floro and after 5 casts the line broke and the lure went sailing across the pond. Luckily it landed 2 feet from the shore on the other side so I was able to retrieve it ;)

I dont like the action on this lure.I think it looks mechanical....

I'm with you. I had viewed a video for the Jackall GIRON. and was impressed with the action. Shopping locally, I was not able to find one and picked up the King Shad as an alternative. BIG MISTAKE!

Maybe it's me. This bait attracts fish the way gators attract swimmers.